• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gaming Rig

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Hrrrrmmm now lemme think for a second.

DO I WANT TO PUT 2 x 980's in SLI over a single 1070?

BAH, now you got me tempted .... -_-

would be a cheaper option.....

ARRGGHHHHH

EGAD might have been wrong, 980's not the TI's are still expensive as fuck lol

1070 will come in cheaper !

praktik

TRIBE Member
ya i dunno why 2nd hand GPU prices are still so high

was crazy to see how much my titans were going for

Lojack

TRIBE Member
ya i dunno why 2nd hand GPU prices are still so high

was crazy to see how much my titans were going for
Seriously man, take advantage of that and grab a 1080.. SLI is cool, but a lot of games are not built with it in mind. Or are you doing video processing or something? Bit coin mining?

praktik

TRIBE Member
It was actually cause I found a single titan on ebay 100 below the typical used price about 18 months ago and I was like, "well - I already have one!"

And it was GREAT for titles like Metro and Far Cry - 2nd card was great.

Was also going to get a higher res monitor so the extra memory was going to be great in these cards - but you know monitors have only just started coming out that I'm interested in - every other one was a compromise somewhere.

Still kind of waiting for that perfect, higher res, g-sync monitor with good refresh rates and even better colour accuracy/awesomeness.

I like one and it turns out its TN panel, I like another and its missing gsync - something is always missing

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Hahah.....IM loving the tech talk.... not that i have a clue what either of you just two posted the last few ...... but if any one wants to sell their rig straight up... lets talk turkey....then I dont have to think about SLI, GPU, STD or STI.....they all hurt. Buying the ps3 was sooo much easier, it jut worked. The Gaming rig is a whole nother level. Anytime you have to Superclock anything besides the dude who just pinched your girl's ass.... it gets trickkky..... on another note this 1070 sounds sweet. Im struggling at skyrim's fps.... and its a bit dry on the second market for decent GPU's. Might have to be a bit more patient.....and hit up a good deal.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
greginhali,

so i just checked and confirmed i still have this lying around not being used.

Gigabyte 550 TI

Praktik, if he put this vid card in compared to what he has now, would that see a decent boost in performance for playing Skyrim until at a later date he can upgrade the whole system?

If it is, if you want it its yours dood ! if your local in Toronto we can meet up and you can buy me a beer :)

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Still kind of waiting for that perfect, higher res, g-sync monitor with good refresh rates and even better colour accuracy/awesomeness.

I like one and it turns out its TN panel, I like another and its missing gsync - something is always missing
I hear you.. a friend recommended a Dell 27" with G-Sync, but it is TN. His argument was that I (like he has done) pick up 2-3 of them, financed at $50/each/month, and "so what". Well I'd be paying twice for each monitor, so no..

I want a 27" 1440p 144+hz IPS monitor with G-Sync. My options start ~ $800 and go up to $1150. I'd rather save up and get what I want in that case.

FWIW, I've thought about 4k but I don't think the GPU's are quite there to support 4K properly yet, and the monitors are still pricey anyway. I could try and argue the features aren't there, but I'd be lying to myself. Whatever, 1440p it is.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
greginhali,

so i just checked and confirmed i still have this lying around not being used.

Gigabyte 550 TI

Praktik, if he put this vid card in compared to what he has now, would that see a decent boost in performance for playing Skyrim until at a later date he can upgrade the whole system?

If it is, if you want it its yours dood ! if your local in Toronto we can meet up and you can buy me a beer :)
Thanks Glych, thats a super nice offer. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these higher end cards soon. Im keen to see what skyrim will look like with some high def mods with a high def card. Its funny, once you go down the worm hole of gaming parts it is deep, but fun to learn about. I would still be up for a beer though.... I like Lojacks idea of a Tribe PC master race!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Hmm.. maybe we should have a Tribe PC master race meet up sometime :)
Thanks Glych, thats a super nice offer. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these higher end cards soon. Im keen to see what skyrim will look like with some high def mods with a high def card. Its funny, once you go down the worm hole of gaming parts it is deep, but fun to learn about. I would still be up for a beer though.... I like Lojacks idea of a Tribe PC master race!
i would easily be down to have a beer and geek out with fellow Tribers and squanch about PC rigs and how we love them so.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
not exactly a question for a gaming rig but I'm taking a chance someone may have a recommendation on a decent wifi mini usb adapter that works with win 10.....in all of my research on the laptop I bought I didn't notice even though it seemed to have the correct specs it only can do 2.4ghz(derp) and I want my 5ghz so I can get all everything out of my beanfields speeeeeeeds

Lojack

TRIBE Member
not exactly a question for a gaming rig but I'm taking a chance someone may have a recommendation on a decent wifi mini usb adapter that works with win 10.....
Honestly? Those are usually dirt cheap for a reason. If you want a latest-generation wifi radio, you're going to pay for it, but it will perform so much better. Wifi is really a war of attrition, between having the latest chipsets and drivers compared to your neighbors.

Anyway, I searched and found this site which lists a few:

Our Picks for Best USB Wireless Network Adapters 2016 | WirelessHack

praktik

TRIBE Member
I am looking at this one at the momemt...

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming | system components | City of Toronto | Kijiji

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming

Does G1 mean generation 1?

Which means there is a G2 with improvements? Fan noise?
All im gonna say is my last two gigabytes were lemons.

Have one that is in decent shape. Every now and then I have to take a screwdriver to it to clear CMOS as it gets stuck preloading shit in the BIOS and can't POST sometimes. Once every few months.

ASUS boards have been aces everytime.

I know Gigabyte has pedigree and reputation - but in my experience I've had bad luck.

The reason I like the ROG line from ASUS is the build quality is "best of the best" - ROG line gets more attention for tuning and endurance in component selection

praktik

TRIBE Member
I hear you.. a friend recommended a Dell 27" with G-Sync, but it is TN. His argument was that I (like he has done) pick up 2-3 of them, financed at $50/each/month, and "so what". Well I'd be paying twice for each monitor, so no..

I want a 27" 1440p 144+hz IPS monitor with G-Sync. My options start ~ $800 and go up to $1150. I'd rather save up and get what I want in that case.

FWIW, I've thought about 4k but I don't think the GPU's are quite there to support 4K properly yet, and the monitors are still pricey anyway. I could try and argue the features aren't there, but I'd be lying to myself. Whatever, 1440p it is.

This one looks like the kinda thing ive been waiting for:

LCD and TFT Monitor News

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Interesting.. though with a price of £639 I'm wary. Even the suggested Euro MSRP of 799 is high. The comparable ACER is ~ $900 CAD and the ASUS just north of $1100 CAD.

My SO just watched a bunch of YT videos about 4K gaming and 40-50" 4K TV's used as monitors. Now she's measuring her desk to figure out if one would fit. Sigh.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Interesting.. though with a price of £639 I'm wary. Even the suggested Euro MSRP of 799 is high. The comparable ACER is ~ $900 CAD and the ASUS just north of $1100 CAD.

My SO just watched a bunch of YT videos about 4K gaming and 40-50" 4K TV's used as monitors. Now she's measuring her desk to figure out if one would fit. Sigh.
LOL that is huge, reminded me of a picture of a guy sitting at his desk at work with a 48 inch barely 40-50 CM from his face.

Query, how far back will your SO be sitting from the screen?

I have a 32inch Vizio that my face is a good meter if not slightly more back from and i could not forsee getting something larger.

at that size and distance, at a glance im able to see most things properly with my FOV on the screen, regardless of FPS, MMO, Puzzle Games, SIM etc.

It took a bit of time to even get used to this screen, let alone 40-50 inch tele's.

Hell in my old place when i gamed in the living room, and it was on my olf 46inch, i was still a good 2-2.5 meters from the screen and i thought it was pretty ideal.