• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gaming Rig

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
correct, it will look like this.

this looks alot like the 960 in my old case with no fancy lighting. but there is lots of cables that come out of the PSU, and generally the newer ones have dedicated adapters to fit most higher end Vid cards.

so as praktik said, you might need adapters if your PSU is older and doesnt have the adapters with the right amount of pins.

might be on deck to upgrade your PSU and GPU, for at least a decent push from what you have.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya a good psu is a solid investment.

And another thing you can carry between machines

And its not all that complicated to swap out you just have to run power to everything and its a bit more labour intensive to replace all the connections

This corsair unit reviewed well but had some good competitors listed in the value section: Corsair RM650i 650W Review

650/750 watts gives you a bit if extra headroom and should be what you get if you are buying new but I think your system even with a nice GPU should be less than 500w even at load on your old PSU!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Anyway 500 would get you a decent psu and GPU combo, leaving CPU/mobo/ram 2 years from now as all you'd need to buy for a sweet upgrade.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Anyway 500 would get you a decent psu and GPU combo, leaving CPU/mobo/ram 2 years from now as all you'd need to buy for a sweet upgrade.
Nice pics.

thanks guys for the good advice. Im ready to make a move. The PSU / GPU combo for 5 bills works. Ive been looking through kijji / craigslist / reddit canadian hardware swap. I have also had good luck in the past going down to college st. and picking up some hardware. I guess everything can be ordered on line these days?

I hate to ask but can you post a link to a good deal? I have filed through a lot of sales, yet the numbers of parts start to blur. At this point lets pull the trigger on something sweet and ill post the amazing results.

Im stoked to do this upgrade. Skyrim is waiting to be concurred in high def!!!

thanks again.

praktik

TRIBE Member
SO you will certainly see a massive improvement with a decent GPU - but recollect that you are marrying it to a somewhat slower processor and memory will choke you up.

Certainly you should pare back anything going on in the background if playing a game and noticing it stutter a bit and drop frames. This could explain it more than any limitation in your graphics hardware.

Limit what starts up automatically with windows to only what you need, uninstall old/unnecessary programs, even manually exit/shut down programs in the system tray in the right hand corner. Your biggest handicap will be the 4GB - and I expect the lack of an SSD? (you using a mechanical hard drive?)

The cool thing about this kind of upgrade method though is you have untapped power in your gpu - when you get a new mobo/cpu/ram for a good price a few years from now it will show you its true strength!

If you can find a good price on an SSD one day thats another little piece that will seriously improve your system performance AND be something you can carry forward.

Let me dig up a few prices and what I would buy if new....

praktik

TRIBE Member
This is a great card but you note with tax takes you right to $500 (but you can get that sweet mail in rebate for $30).

Souped up ASUS cards are pretty rad these days: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce-gtx-970-strix-0b-102345.htm

GIgabyte is another reputable company with OC versions - this one is a good price without any rebate @ 384.99: http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-oc-6d-102012.htm

THis is a pretty sweet deal on an EVGA card that is the fastest of the bunch, big up front discount and 389.99 after rebate: http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-3e-104474.htm

Here's the deal though - people selling these cards 2nd hand should be selling for sub 300 soon. I'd almost monitor craigslist and kijijii on these - if buying in retail may want to wait a few weeks longer as the next gen is JUST coming out so might see a dip as that impacts the market hit over next little while (unsure if these retail prices are the bottom yet - they will want to move inventory on the old cards)

PSUs:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-rm650i-power-supply-zero-21-109969.htm

or

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-650-gq-80-plus-56-125884.htm

Both are great units, Corsair gets you 5 more years warranty, a slight edge on packaging and build quality. But EVGA power supplies are recognized as a value alternative where you sacrifice nothing meaningful - performance is really so close between leading PSU brands these days!

greginhali

TRIBE Member
This is a great card but you note with tax takes you right to $500 (but you can get that sweet mail in rebate for $30).

Souped up ASUS cards are pretty rad these days: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce-gtx-970-strix-0b-102345.htm

GIgabyte is another reputable company with OC versions - this one is a good price without any rebate @ 384.99: http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-oc-6d-102012.htm

THis is a pretty sweet deal on an EVGA card that is the fastest of the bunch, big up front discount and 389.99 after rebate: http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-3e-104474.htm

Here's the deal though - people selling these cards 2nd hand should be selling for sub 300 soon. I'd almost monitor craigslist and kijijii on these - if buying in retail may want to wait a few weeks longer as the next gen is JUST coming out so might see a dip as that impacts the market hit over next little while (unsure if these retail prices are the bottom yet - they will want to move inventory on the old cards)

PSUs:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-rm650i-power-supply-zero-21-109969.htm

or

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-650-gq-80-plus-56-125884.htm

Both are great units, Corsair gets you 5 more years warranty, a slight edge on packaging and build quality. But EVGA power supplies are recognized as a value alternative where you sacrifice nothing meaningful - performance is really so close between leading PSU brands these days!
Thanks for the detailed report. I have gone through the cards and psu and Im going to go the 2nd hand route for a week or some. Just to see if it can be had a little cheaper. If I dont land one Ill buy one of these retailed. I dont mind making a long term investment.

Il post up any details of 2nd hand cards here just to get a second opinion. You really know what your talking about.

On another note, I have installed Skyrim without any mods. I have my ps3 controller working wirelessly which is nice. I found a way to port my ps3 save over to the PC which is nice.

My first play through with the PC versions was choppy! Frame rates where much slower than the ps3 and things were stuttering. I guess that is because of my under powered computer. I had some other applications running so that might have been one problem. I can see that I definitely need to upgrade to make this work. My mother board and 4 GB maximum might be a challenge to get the game up and running smoothly.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya i think the GPU will make a big difference, 4gb will be constrained but I expect your current GPU is in the shitty or "really shitty" categories

What is the GPU you got now?

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Name ATI Radeon HD 5450
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Driver Version 12.104.0.0

How crappy is that Card?

praktik

TRIBE Member
OK so that was the lowest end of ATI a while back.

This is will have been a very underperforming card *when it came out*

And will not have aged well since then.

I still think a beefy GPU will give you a good gaming experience even with 4GB only of system memory: these people seem to be getting by with such a system, and with a faster GPU you could probably have settings higher than what they are using.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Wow - great individual price on the MSI!

Id go for that or the Gigabyte given its relative youth - and the Strix as option #3

praktik

TRIBE Member
And yes, buy PSU new - you want the best longevity out of such an important component.

Getting old PSU just puts you closer to its failure point. Buying new you can trust modern power supplies for a decade!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya so all these guys complaining about the 970 are probably like me. They feel really shitty if they don't have every setting turned up to max and extra bells and whistles turned on.

If you're used to gaming with things in the more medium range, they could game just fine @ 1080p with a 970 as long as they sacrificed some of the sliders and went with "high" or "med" instead of "ultra" in every game...

all THAT said

The anal retentive like me would suggest you save up a bit more, I know its tempting - but the 1070 really should be one heckuva card, and if your plan is to carry it forward for 4 years or so it will certainly make those last few years a bit nicer if new games come out you want to test your newer rig on!

But this will be 500-530 bones with tax, given US MSRP is 379.99 - so thats your whole budget.

$700 would do it though along with the PSU and give you some change.

So your choice is sub 500 now with 2nd hand 970 and new PSU, save a bit and wait a bit for 1070, put in 700

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Man the stats on the 1070 now with bench marking are beating out the Titan X and is only beat by the 1080.

I would upgrade to a 1070 in a second, think i will order one , swap it out and sell my 980 ;)

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Anyone been reading about ADM Polaris card - Doroz?

I hear it is coming out for $200 dollars. And out performs the 970.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Something to keep an eye on. The very latest and very recent AMD cards finally got an edge in a few niche markets.

Their tiny size GPU with HBM memory looks amazing.

If this new card beats the 970 on performance AND price might be worth waiting to see a review!!

Lojack

TRIBE Member
$200 USD for the 480, so $300 CDN. Definitely worth looking at.

Myself, I'm seriously thinking of a 1070 (~ $500 CDN once released), and I'll upgrade to something more powerful next year.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
$200 USD for the 480, so $300 CDN. Definitely worth looking at.

Myself, I'm seriously thinking of a 1070 (~ $500 CDN once released), and I'll upgrade to something more powerful next year.
Yeah i was thinking the 1070 when it comes out to get the beastly performance boost , and then upgrade to the 1080 TI when they are out and down a bit in price, and at that point, i may just stick my current rig in the living room somwhere, hidden and allow some gaming out there too ;)

hehehe

of give it to my lady, or some triber in the need of an upgrade if im feeling benevolent ;)