1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gaming Rig

Discussion in 'Technology' started by greginhali, May 23, 2016.

1. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Anyone unloading a gaming rig? I have been using ps3 /4 for a while now but Skyrim has taken over my attentions and would like to get into the mods that the PC version has to offer.

2. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

I know I need to do my homework when it comes to computer specs. Lots of reading. I have seen some of you tech heads know your stuff. Can you take a look at this one?

Desktop PC 2.40 GHz Quad Processor

3. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

What do you want to spend? Lots of options once the budget is known.

4. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Well, I dont mind going the kijji / craigslist route.

I just want to play skyrim with mods. I realize it is an old game, even with lots of mods, I believe I dont need some beast of a machine to run the game. I read somewhere 60 fps is the max the game can handle.

Lets say if I could get the rig for 500 bucks that would be great.

5. Lojack

Lojack TRIBE Member

If you are willing to piece it together with mostly used parts, you'll likely have a better system than just getting a used one. Kijji & Craigslist are one way, another is to check out r/CanadianHardwareSwap on reddit. There is a new generational of Nvidia cards, and people are dumping their old ones to get the funds for the latest. Good time to be a buyer.

6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Dude I think I'd stay away. IF Q6600 that mobo is getting long in the tooth. Unanticipated failure points await.

If wanting to save I think you can not spend a lot of money and still get newer components, like these:

ASUS Announces Z97 Pro Gamer: Semi-ROG for Pentium-AE Gaming

These pentium chips are CHEAP: Overclockable Pentium Anniversary Edition Review: The Intel Pentium G3258

Id add 1-200$ to your budget if you can

If getting used get the most "recent" used you can.

I5s are fine what you are looking for is as close to 3ghz as you can get, minimum dual core, over 3ghz if you can

8gb ram, speed is unimportant here cheaping out is fine

If you want a cheap case i can get you one thats gathering dust, very cool mATX case, the Vulcan. Its kinda cool actually:

NZXT Crafted Series Vulcan Micro-ATX Case Review - Legit ReviewsNZXT Crafted Series Vulcan Micro-ATX Case

I can let this go DIRT CHEAP, interesting trades considered

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

for cards see if you can't grab a sweet 970 off some nvidia guy selling to go to the newer cards!

8. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

I see the GTX970 Nvidia here:

GTX970 Nvidia | system components | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

I love reading the above posts but Im out of my league. Im not sure if I can build it myself. Ill keep reading up on how to get it running. I dont think ill get into hardcore gaming on my PC, but I would like to check out the skyrim mod scene.

Ill keep posting question, thanks for answering and pointing me in the right direction.

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

ok you can always take my recos and walk down a notch.

I have trouble recommending for budgets. Still - a 970 will be great combo of price/performance at less than 375 if you can find it for sub 300 this will be great for older titles and give you pretty decent performance @ 1080p for any modern title you may find yourself interested in.

I know you state the preference for older titles right now, but with just a bit more investment you can be looking at GREAT performance for older titles @ 1080p and GOOD performance for 1080p in modern titles

A 970 gets you that - as you go lower down the chain a 960 would be decent but I would have trouble recommending any lower than that if you're buying now. The great thing about the 900 series cards is they are all SUPER quiet and low power compared to previous generations. Would be a shame to get an earlier gen card that will be loud and inefficient!

10. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Question: How do I know if the 970 will fit inside my current motherboard / Case? Look at the measurements and check the case? Ill buy it if it works.

I have a win 7 Pentium Dual Core E5400 @ 2.70 GHz
    4GB RAM

So one weak spot is the GHz. Any others?

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

4GB will be tight - but dual-core @ 2.7ghz is fine for the generation of games you are most interested in playing.

If you can send me your mobo brand/model # - can tell you what RAM could work for it.

Its dirt cheap.

Also the mobo brand/model will tell me if you can take a GPU but you know, we've been on PCI-E for so long now the only question is if you have 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0

Judging by age of your CPU Im guessing its 2.0. Which is FINE

But it should "fit" the slot if that's your concern!

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Actually I would TOTALLY reco *JUST* getting an additional 4-12GB of RAM and a GPU

It might seem silly to get a modern GPU for an older machine but I find this is how I often follow my own "tick-tock" upgrade path:

Buy Mobo/CPU/RAM - tick
    (+2 years later)
    Buy awesome GPU - tock
    (+2 years later)
    Buy Mobo/CPU/RAM - tick

And then I just carry over the GPU! GPU is probably the most important piece of equipment for games. Getting a really good one now is fine. And if you realize you need to get a new comp two years from now?

Port it over, GPU is one less thing you'll need to buy then!

Anyway - you can spend <$500 now (likely <400) to get your machine a bit better for gaming. With a GPU out of the picture (cause a 970 will still be decent 2 years from now @ 1080p) you will only need 500 or so to get a new mobo/cpu/ram combo thats pretty good (maybe a bit over if your case or pSU is old - i always reco getting a great case that can last 10 years so you can just keep putting your parts in it over that period)

13. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Probably not something that you will be able to buy, but its run everything i have thrown at it REALLY nicely.

Processor Model: Intel Core i7-4790K
    Processor Speed: 4.0Ghz
    Processor Cooling : Liquid
    Number of Cores: 4
    Chipset Intel Z97 Express
    Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB
    Memory 16 GB
    Memory Type DDR3 1666mhz
    SSD Capacity 240GB

The case is great as it has magentic dust covers so it keeps A LOT of airborne debris out of the interior. 2 fans in the top, 2 fans up front, not to loud, and every game i have played on it so far has run sooo smoothly.

A huge step up from my old

AMD 1090T Xenon 6 Core 3.2 GHZ CPU
    10 GB of DDR3 1333mhz
    Fan Cooling
    Nvidia GTX 550Ti 1.5 GB
    90 GB SSD
    Decent case and fan cooling

Now im currently playing

Overwatch
    Dishonoured
    Witcher 3
    Star Citizen Alpha

Was playing

Wildstar
    Black Desert Online

Might play

DOOOOOOOM
    Rocket League
    Anything else that looks super sick on my new RIG.

ALSO

I sit in front of a 32 inch Vizio that was one of their recommended for high refresh rate settings.

this is my sound http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/speaker-system-z906?crid=1588

when im not using my logitech G35's

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  14. glych t.anomaly

Hrrrrmmm, Wait, i put a Nvidia 960 in my old rig, i might still have the Nivida 550 TI !

need to look through my things.

15. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

glad this is in here I eventually want to get a gaming laptop so I can geek out to Street Fighter V on the fly one day

16. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

My rig is almost same as yours Glytch except with two titans in SLI

Have a 980 in my HTPC and LOVE IT

17. glych t.anomaly

hehehe awesome.

Question.... if you game with the Titans in SLI, do you game on your HTPC?

Im curious to know because if you arent gaming in it, what requires a 980 ?

Movies and TV?

im assuming it has to do with rendering 3d movies or some shit, because the old gaming rig that was in my old place's living room doesnt seem to have any better image than the Intel Compute Stick im currently using.( wont be for long , better options out there for cheaper ! ill sell it to some chump online hahahahaha )

Went from my old RIG and a 46inch Dynex to the Compute stick and a new 48inch Sony Bravia.

Now the Dynex had a great screen for a 6-7 year old LCD, and the new Sony i have , also great for what we need and do, but def doesnt seem to require a proper video card.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I game on both, so pimp setups are required in both.

I play FPS and epic strategy on the main rig, the HTPC I play fifa and controller based games.

980 has been enough to run almost everything maxed out @ 1080p but every now and then I am dialing back AA or some features on some of the more recent titles.

I like having two gaming machines because for titles I truly care about, like FIFA, I can use the plasma TV when the wife ain't watching or move to the other room when she is!

19. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

And as for HTPC shit - having a potent GPU *DOES* help, with MADVR specifically.

I had a 580 in there and it was more than enough for most settings (I could still choke it on some crazy upconverting settings if I wanted to) but it was noisy as hell!

980 never breaks out a sweat doing the task my 580 was hitting 90 degrees on regularly...

THis is MPC-HC/MadVR and some GPU assisted settings

20. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Good news! I like it that i can work in stages. Easier on the budget and still gets me up and running

Here is what I found for motherboard info:
    System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
    System Model MS-7529
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Thanks for helping. Im willing to pull the trigger on a couple of parts to make this happen.

21. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ok so I have good news and bad news:

Bad news - you are already maxed on RAM so cannot exceed 4gb

Good news - you can fit any modern GPU!

However we need to check one more thing. Do you know how many watts your power supply is??

(also looking at your mobo specs, bad idea to jump on that used computer with the q6600, you'd be dropping money and ending up in almost the same place!)

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Also have you had a close look at your existing graphics card?

See if it's removable just want to ensure its not fixed in place and not replaceable.

23. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

I believe my power supply is 500 watts.

The current graphical card is removable.

Bummer about the Mobo. Cant expand the RAM past 4gb.

Whats the next step?

24. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

You should be fine - only thing to worry about now is auxiliary power

If your power supply has these
    [​IMG]

You're golden, if not you'll need to use adaptors:

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

25. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

believe it or not i dont have any of those. let me try and find a picture of what i have...........