• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Game g33ks - Optical Mouse Question?

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I once tried an Optical mouse when they first came out for gaming and quite personally it sucked, when I moved too fast in a FPS it would skip all over the place.

So I'm wondering how far they've come over the past 3 years or so?

Are the newer Optical mouse any better at gaming?

I <3 my MouseBall but it seems to get dirty once and a while and that's more annoying than anything.. so looking for any ideas/suggestions.

I love the Logitech Cordless Freedom Pro I have... but wondering if there's a good alternative?

pr0nstar

deep

TRIBE Member
well, with the majority of the gaming world using optical mice now, what do you think? it's still a problem or no longer an issue? ;)

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
So I'm wondering how far they've come over the past 3 years or so?
lol...have you not used an optical mouse in the past 3 year? my microsoft optical is smooth as a baby's ass.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
well, with the majority of the gaming world using optical mice now, what do you think? it's still a problem or no longer an issue? ;)
I don't know, I never ask what everyone else is using ;)

Any products you'd recommend?

The one I first tried was the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer when it was first released.

pr0nstar :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I found at first that my optical mouse was too fast. But after a few weeks of use, it's corrected itself.

It just takes some getting used to.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
I found at first that my optical mouse was too fast. But after a few weeks of use, it's corrected itself.

It just takes some getting used to.
Well in gaming you tend to do very quick movements (ie 180 turns) etc.. and I found with my first one, no matter the settings.. it would become jerky when you moved it too fast.

But for normal window usage, it works fine.

pr0nstar

zoo

TRIBE Member
i found optical mice a godsend for gaming

i got my logitech wheel mouse optical for $40 about 5 or so years ago and it's been great ever since

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I used my first optical mouse on my sisters computer.
It was a fucking nightmare to use, but then i realized it was because I was mousing on a white desk.
I put a magazine underneath (no mouse pad yet) and it worked fine

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bass-Invader
they have improved the lasers to scan much much more often that 1st gen mice. Skipping is not a problem anymore.
Good to hear, now I have to find one that fits in the hand nicely.

I love my old Logitech Cordless as it's perfect for the hand and has 4 buttons.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
I don't know, I never ask what everyone else is using ;)

Any products you'd recommend?

The one I first tried was the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer when it was first released.

pr0nstar :D
there have been 5 generations of technology since then

I use logitech mice

with current day tracking technologies there are no issues with high speed movements

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I'm not a big gamer, but I can draw a mighty fine Visio diagram without using snap-to with my MX700 .

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I like the MX700 as it's Optical, Black and Cordless.

I'll just have to go to the Stores and do the handtest soon.
Then I'll pick one up... R.I.P. Ball Mouse! soon.

pr0nstar :D More Headshots!

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
It's all personal preference.. IMO. I'd stick with my mouseball if it didn't get dirty at times.

pr0nstar

finary

TRIBE Promoter
i bought a wireless optical microsoft intellimouse 2.0 at future shop with the intent of bringing it back if it sucked for gaming...

lets just say i was very suprised! it fucking rocks!
wayyyyy better and much more precise then my old corded ball mouse.

i bought it in september or october and its still going strong, havent needed to change the batteries yet and its still performing 100%

one drawback: the mousewheel is smooth scrolling, it doesnt stop and 'click' so it was hard to get used to changing weapons in FPS's... it's VERY sensitive and I havent found ajusting it to be very helpful at all... I DID get used to it, but it was a bitch for the first few weeks.

/f

bitchass

TRIBE Member
i have the logitech mx duo set - wireless keyboard (2 AA batteries), wireless rechargeable (comes with 2 AA NiMH batteries) MX700 mouse, and a charging base station.

its my second logitech wireless combo and it performs much better than the first one even though there wasn't really any problems with the first, other than the keyboard took 4 batteries.

i love this thing and will never go back to a non-wireless keyboard or mouse - i have a corded optical mouse for my laptop and always pull the cord around the desk because its so inconvenient. as for bluetooth... why bother? i find logitech's proprietary radio refrequency more than adequate and never have any issues with interference.

Boo

TRIBE Member
I love optical mice, and could never go back to trackball.

i even bought a cheap $15 one for work, cause they wouldn't replace mine with an optical one.

I've tried cordless optical's and don't like them at all. They seem less responsive and clunkier due to needing a battery. Best one I've used is the logitech with the button on the side for skipping web pages.

My bro sweas by his $100 microsoft cordless dealy, but i find it way to big and awkward. I like my cheap ass labtec one that works great without a mousepad.