• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

g33ks of Tribe, please recommend us a new monitor for our laptop!

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
All of you running the latest and greatest high tech gadgets are probably going to get a chuckle out of this, but I could use your expertise. The missus and I currently watch movies (no gaming, occasional, minor graphics work) on our Lenovo T500 laptop, plugged into an ancient yet functional Dell E228WFP 22" monitor. Graphics courtesy of an ATI Mobility Raedon HD 3650 card, max res. 1680x1050, available ports are VGA and Displayport. Win 7, 64-bit, if it helps.

We wouldn't mind getting something a little larger (24") and a little more technologically up to date, and would like to determine which monitor will be the best bang for the buck for our needs. I'd love to look into something in a 25"-27" screen, but I figure a lot of the newer models won't work with older laptops such as ours. Dell monitors still seems to be well reviewed for the better part, but I'm open to other suggestions. Fine with ordering online or nabbing from someplace downtown like Canada Computers.

Bueller?

Last edited:

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
You for sure have the right store... but I couldn't help you. I just bought a budget tablet and I got the gears from the board about going cheap. So, I would say the same advice for you, but I don't want you to go there...

Funny though... if you're watching it on that crappy monitor now... you will be happy with any 24-27'' screen...

It will be interesting to see what you actually get.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
We don't watch TV, just Netflix and other streaming services and DVDs.

If I sound totally out to lunch on this, it's because I am.

Last edited:

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
why spend $200+ on a monitor when you can spend $300 on a 27+ inch LED, which will look wicked even from your VGA output on your lappy ?
and...you've got something portable if you want it moved anywhere in da house.

edit...not really sounding out to lunch.
what's your budget ?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Not buying until December, figured I'd put the feelers out on Tribe first.

And I've already learned something I didn't know, so the initial minute of typing has paid for itself. :p

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
So if I'm reading my research correctly, with an LED TV, we'd generally be getting more real estate for the $$, but with lower resolution and a slower response time.

Yeah?

praktik

TRIBE Member
Really has to be the right tv - be sure to read reviews before you buy that do good rundown of input lag.

I use an HTPC on a 60" plasma and this usage model is better suited to movies/games/light browsing but not so good for productivity.

For that I go into my office and use an old 24" LCD.

Be careful too if looking at monitors: to drive a 4k monitor or 120hz u might need a GPU upgrade.

Would reco a 27" 1080p IPS panel for best combo of pic quality and drivability.

TN panels not so good...