1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

G20 opponents asked to teleprotest

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by WestsideWax, Apr 29, 2010.

1. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Well, not so much asked, as told.

All G20 protests will be directed to Trinity Bellwoods Park

With the upcoming G20 summit looming over downtown Toronto, the event is casting an increasingly larger shadow, one that now stretches as far west as Trinity Bellwoods Park.

Summit officials have chosen the park as the designated protesting area (???) for the G20 summit on June 26 and 27. That means demonstrators — at least, the rule-abiding ones — will be wielding placards and shouting through megaphones from inside a 37-acre residential park, located some two kilometres west of the summit’s outer boundary, or so-called “yellow zone.”

Susan Atkinson was shocked to hear that summit organizers have decided to send hoards of protestors to her neighbourhood park.

“I think that’s a really bad decision,” said Atkinson, who lives on Gore Vale Ave. along the eastern edge of the park. “I want to know what kind of factors they considered when they made the decision. This is really shocking.”

Along the groups that have already begun mobilizing, the Ontario Federation of Labour is planning a march to Trinity Bellwoods from Queen’s Park. The march will take place on the Saturday of the summit weekend and includes groups like Greenpeace, Oxfam Canada and the Canadian Labour Congress.

But there will certainly be several demonstrators who choose to steer clear of the designated protesting area, which is three kilometres west of the Metro Convention Centre where world leaders and dignitaries will actually be congregating.

Councillor Adam Vaughan said he is more concerned with demonstrators causing havoc around the edges of the outer yellow zone, which he says will be bordered by Queen St., Yonge St., Lake Shore Blvd. and Spadina Ave.

“That will mean consequences for businesses on Queen,” Vaughan surmised Wednesday. “Also, consequences for businesses inside the yellow zone.”

Pedestrians will still be allowed inside the yellow zone, Vaughan said, but vehicles will face restrictions. This means, for example, that theatregoers won’t be able to drive to the Mirvish theatres but can likely walk or take public transit there.

Vaughan said baseball fans taking the TTC to the Rogers Centre during the G20 will also have to walk south on Bay St. from Union Station and west along Lake Shore Blvd., ultimately accessing the stadium from Rees St. Vaughan added that some sidewalks will have to be constructed along certain portions of this route.

Vaughan still has no information about the high-security zone that will encircle the convention centre, or “red zone,” which will likely be established with a three-metre-high fence. He doubts this information will be released until shortly before the summit but hopes to learn more about other security measures at a town-hall meeting scheduled for Thursday at Metro Hall.

Almost two months before the event, the G20 is also causing ripples outside the designated security zones. Kensington Market recently learned it will not be able to get a permit this June for Pedestrian Sunday, a monthly summer event now in its seventh year. And to the east of the summit site, Toronto police have rented an old movie studio at Eastern and Pape Aves. that will likely serve as a prisoner processing area.

At this point, Vaughan says he’d like to get as much information as possible to his ward constituents so they can make the necessary preparations for the G20. Right now, summit officials are sharing information with him every two weeks or so, he says.

“It’s very much a case where this boat is being built as it’s being sailed,” he said. “I just hope it reaches the dock.”

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

what the hell is the point of demonstrating three km from the summit?

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

4. alexd

out of sight, out of mind

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

dude you obviously don't know the power of Positive Energy - the drumming circle good vibes can easily go 3km, in fact, since these vibrational energies can be transmitted along the quantum plane there is really no distance too far!

They could even set up in Tweed and Enact Positive Change!

6. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Trinity Bellwoods? Are you fucking serious? What if I want to take my kids out of the area of the G20 (we live pretty close to the security perimeter) and well fucking crap can't go to Trinity because it's filled with protesters.

Not to mention the park is ringed with residential. Start to finish this summit has completely fucking ignored the needs of the residents of Toronto. What's fucked up is that for the most part nobody is saying "don't do it in Toronto". Instead we're saying "there are better places in Toronto equipped to handle this".

I'm so fucking livid. Not only will downtown be blocked off but their going to extend the disruption into Queen West?!?!?!?!?!!!!??? What fucking idiot monkeys are running this piece of crap.

7. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

well obviously but really, who would actually take the bait and protest there?

8. WestsideWax

Yes, let's all look at how these decisions will affect us as individuals! Personal interests before that of the greater good!

I for one will be quite irate if I can't get over to the Gap on Queen Street to buy those $50 shorts I've been eyeing.

Seriously though, if you don't like it, then make plans to get the fuck outta Dodge for the entire duration of the summit.

9. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Wow you are a fucking idiot aren't you. Nowhere did I say there shouldn't be a protest. Do you actually agree that Trinity Bellwoods is an appropriate place for this? And who said anything about shopping. I was talking about taking my kids to a park.

10. WestsideWax

No, I think it's farcical that the summit organisers think that they can somehow control who is going to protest where during this event. However, all this is considerably bigger than your perceived need to take your kids to the park on that particular day. Stop thinking so selfishly.

11. alexd

Well it is closer to CHippy's... It has that going for it at least.

12. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Again.

you = dumber than a bag of shit berries.

All I am arguing is that they shouldn't direct protesters to a park in the middle of a residential area 3 km from the actual summit site.

And you're right. I was only thinking of taking my kids to a park and not the 100s of residents who live directly bordering the park and 1000s that live in the general area, 1000s of people who use the park on a daily basis, the businesses along queen st that might as well close up shop for the weekend etc.

Don't fucking say that none of that compares to the death and destruction and poverty around the world because it's irrelevant to the argument because I'm not saying there shouldn't be a protest. There should. It just makes no sense to direct it to a residential neighbourhood not even close to the actual site.

Seriously, stop being a complete tool.

13. WestsideWax

You sure have a funny, self-centred way of wording it.

If you actually care about your individual freedoms, you'll be down there with your kids, educating them as to their rights as Canadian citizens to peaceful assembly. Otherwise, those rights may not exist by the time they enter into adulthood.

signed,

your local tool

14. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Are you intentionally ignoring the fact I clearly indicated I am not against the protest?

Do you walk into things a lot?

15. WestsideWax

Well that's really, really, y'know...nice...that you aren't against the protest.

It's nice to be not against things.

So, you'll be participating, then? It may have been a bit much for me to suggest that you bring your kids, as no doubt, some police infiltrator will huck a rock at some point, giving security carte blanche to lob tear gas and crack skulls. But you do want to set an example for your children, that you won't allow government to simply trample on your rights as a citizen, correct? So that they can live in a world where they still retain the same freedoms you've been afforded?

16. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

So you agree that Trinity Bellwoods is the best place for the protest to be directed to then.

17. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Westside Wack since you've been speaking non-stop about this protest here and the Greece thread, I'm curious to see if you yourself are attending?

You have no problem calling out others so what are you doing about it?

18. WestsideWax

Of course I'll be attending.

19. WestsideWax

Answer my question first.

20. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Whether I'm taking mny kids to the protest or educating them on their freedoms has nothing to do with disagreeing where the protest site should be.

21. WestsideWax

[​IMG]

"Just answer the question, Claire."

22. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I did. That information has no bearing on the topic of this thread.

23. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

We should protest the Trinity Bellwoods location - except we designate the protest area to be in front of the 3m fence downtown!

24. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

good idea, I've been making Water balloons all week in preparation

25. WestsideWax

You mean this?

I suppose that's an answer. And since you aren't going to be participating in the peaceful assembly in any way, you really don't have any say in matters related to its organisation, one way or t'other.