• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fun links to send a Conservative?

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah, that "system" is called democracy.

Yes. This system is CALLED democratic, but it is not democracy at all.

People throw that word around like it's going out of style. You clearly haven't noticed that Canada is a constitutional monarchy or that the USA is a republic.

...but you already knew that right? ;)

There are elements of representative democratic process in both systems, but we all know that corporate interests are much better represented than those of the people.

Even if it WAS a democracy, what good is that if the opinions of the people are controlled? Even if their opinions were not controlled what good is democracy in a culture which steers the individual towards greed? Ironically enough the democratic process often ends up making decisions that are detrimental to public well being.

"You want to rule in a system where you're a leader... self-serving under some thin guise of "self-cultivation"

That's actually not what i said, felt, or meant even remotely. i do not want to rule anyone. I believe that people can govern themselves just fine in a culture that emphasizes ethical responsibility, humanity, virtue, and autonomy of the people (unlike this one). The better a system is, the less people will feel the heavy hand of governance upon their shoulder.

When I speak of 'self-cultivation' i don't mean self-interest, i mean ethical and spiritual development in the service of all.

Governance should be based on virtue, not profit.

Humans have shown time and time again that a system based on profit leads to greedy hands and hungry mouths devouring all that they can while they can. Unless we create a system whose design is to cultivate ethical citizens that are able to govern themselves we will always run into the same problem.

You can't get good from evil, it just doesn't work. You can disguise evil as good and fool most of the people most of the time, but the end result is always suffering.

I do not call for a political revolution, but for cultural and ethical reform.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DaPhatConductor
Yeah, that "system" is called democracy.

Yes. This system is CALLED democratic, but it is not democracy at all.

People throw that word around like it's going out of style. You clearly haven't noticed that Canada is a constitutional monarchy or that the USA is a republic.

I'm sorry, the Queen is a ceremonial symbol of our country & it's colonial history, but has no role in it's operation, especially since 1982.

The word republic means nothing but a country ruled by it's people, and says nothing about HOW they rule. Any country could call itself a republic, in fact the official name of Iraq (even pre-invasion) is "Republic of Iraq".

If you want to get technical, the US is a democratic republic, democracy is the mechanism in which the public rules the country while mindful of a pluralistic ideology.

...but you already knew that right? ;)

Originally posted by DaPhatConductor

There are elements of representative democratic process in both systems, but we all know that corporate interests are much better represented than those of the people.

Even if it WAS a democracy, what good is that if the opinions of the people are controlled? Even if their opinions were not controlled what good is democracy in a culture which steers the individual towards greed? Ironically enough the democratic process often ends up making decisions that are detrimental to public well being.

"You want to rule in a system where you're a leader... self-serving under some thin guise of "self-cultivation"

That's actually not what i said, felt, or meant even remotely. i do not want to rule anyone. I believe that people can govern themselves just fine in a culture that emphasizes ethical responsibility, humanity, virtue, and autonomy of the people (unlike this one). The better a system is, the less people will feel the heavy hand of governance upon their shoulder.

When I speak of 'self-cultivation' i don't mean self-interest, i mean ethical and spiritual development in the service of all.

Governance should be based on virtue, not profit.

Humans have shown time and time again that a system based on profit leads to greedy hands and hungry mouths devouring all that they can while they can. Unless we create a system whose design is to cultivate ethical citizens that are able to govern themselves we will always run into the same problem.

You can't get good from evil, it just doesn't work. You can disguise evil as good and fool most of the people most of the time, but the end result is always suffering.

I do not call for a political revolution, but for cultural and ethical reform.

I agree with you on all points here... I was merely responding to the the intial comment. You had put it in quotes, so I assumed it was from your in-the-closet neo-conservative friend.

Last edited: