1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Fun Labour Day Weekend Craft Project- Sea Turtle

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by nawberry, Sep 1, 2005.

1. nawberry

nawberry TRIBE Member

Well many of you are preparing for the Labour of Love this weekend, I am going to be engaged in a labour of love of my own- the love of crafts and the labour of making them!

Sure I am a 29 year old heterosexual male, but I fucking love to make crafts. And in fact it can be helpful when I am having a bad day.

Doris from Lewiscraft recently turned me on to the underground craft sub-genre of “location crafting†and I am completely hooked on it, but don’t go arranging for an intervention because if being fiendishly addicted to location crafting is a crime, then you better arrest me because there ain’t no way I am stoppin’.

Location crafting entails choosing a specific location and making a turtle from crap you find there. I choose St. Lawrence Market and its vicinity as I live nearby and I have quite a good rapport with many of the vendors (other than Sausage King).

For me, a principle benefit of crafting over robot building is that it is less likely to result in absolute failure, and therefore, it can much less heart-breaking when things don’t turn out as you had hoped.

Check out the St. Lawrence Market Sea Turtle I made in under two weeks! I think the results speak for themselves!

[​IMG]

Now I understand that at first glance you may be thinking that you would never churn out a craft like that, but believe me I once thought the same, and in fact some of my earlier turtles were in retrospect, undecipherable, shoddily made, and in one instance, quite dangerous. But look where I am now- It is quite a feeling going into a long weekend knowing that all that you have ahead of you is making a turtle out of refuse!

So tribers my gift to you for the upcoming long weekend is my St. Lawrence Market Sea Turtle instructions, I am looking forward to your posts/pics so that I can see the results. Or perhaps we could meet and bring our turtles along too. (Would AlexD sanction such a get together?)

Happy crafting! And perhaps I will see many of you scrounging around the market this weekend, I know I will be there making a brother for my turtle, feel free to say “hello†or to ask me for advice.
    Oh yeah…I named my turtle “Mr. Whacky T.†and he really is quite a character. I gave him a funny voice and pretend that he swam to me from Ibiza (oh yeah, do not submerge the turtle in water). He loves to snuggle with me! And, not to be overly dramatic but in a way he completes me!
    Tomorrow I will show you how I made Mr. Whacky T.…

2. VinylRach

VinylRach TRIBE Promoter

Dude. That made my day. I love your turtle. I think its fantastic. Tell the chick at lewiscraft i said right on.

3. swilly

swilly TRIBE Member

I am skeptical about this statement

swilly:p

4. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

you didnt make that you big phoney.
    don't go ruining this passtime with your lies for those of us who actually do it.

5. Adam

Adam TRIBE Member

NOOB OF THE YEAR

6. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

Nawberry, I'm in love with you and I don't even care if you turn out to be ugly looking.

7. nawberry

nawberry TRIBE Member

You are right, the turtle I made was far worse. It was embarrassing and completely unpostable, so I found an image of a turtle made by a child and posted it as if it were my own. This is my Turtlegate! I am sorry!

8. nightcrawler

nightcrawler TRIBE Member

This has got to be the dumbest thing i saw all day. I will be giggling about this all weekend.

Remember Beavis and Buttheads hippie teacher???

"Lesbian Seagull... fly away!"

9. Sunshyne Jones

Sunshyne Jones TRIBE Member

that turtle is SO cute!!

10. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

Mr. Van Driessen!

11. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Do you do this at Senior homes?

12. nawberry

nawberry TRIBE Member

Thanks

13. nawberry

nawberry TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Fun Labour Day Weekend Craft Project- Sea Turtle

sure I am a 29 year old heterosexual male

I am not lying, I was born in 1976.

14. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

put your fists up bitch!!!!

15. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

Oh, you want to fight?

How about we both make sea turtles and let nawberry judge which one's best. May the best skank win.

16. undercover_girl

undercover_girl TRIBE Member

This thread just made my afternoon - hell - my week!

I just can't decide if it's the original post or all the girls fighting over Nawberry...

17. nawberry

nawberry TRIBE Member

Well it would have to be which of your two turtles Mr. Whacky T. likes the most. Call me crazy, but I prefer to defer to him for all of my decision-making.

18. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

Are you sure that's wise? I found this pic of Mr. Whacky T, and it disturbs me.

[​IMG]

19. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

women on tribe must really like sea turtles

20. nawberry

nawberry TRIBE Member

Oh no! Mr. Whacky T.

21. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

ok I that just made me totally burst out laughing in the middle of a call. I hung up on the guy cause I couldnt contain it.

youre on slurpee.
    wait till mr whacky T sees the jugs on my dirty turtle.
    he will pop out of his shell to say hello for sure!!

22. Satisfied Mind

Satisfied Mind TRIBE Member

i love them so much i have a tatoo of one on my back and i am going to another country in three months to volunteer with them.

until then, i will begin working on this wikked craft!

23. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Re: Fun Labour Day Weekend Craft Project- Sea Turtle

hahah

24. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

sea turtles are known babe-lures

(among the tahitians anyways)

25. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

lol!