• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Full cost accounting of an auto: thinking outside the box

swilly

TRIBE Member
I have been reading this book that has made me realize alot about my life and the full cost of my auto.

So today at the mechanic he told me it was going to be 160 dollars to fix this problem with the engine.

Now,i thought about this with respect to my car and its utility in life.

At the moment my principle reason using my car is to deliver pizzas and to get back and forth from school.

from now untill the end of the term i will be able to make about 800 dollars at this job averaging 100 dollars a night a one night per week for 2 months.

Thus my car has an oppurtunity cost of 800 dollars plus 108 when you factor in the value of a bus pass which will be required if i dont use the car.

OK so that is 908 dollars in total then for my car.

however, lets look at this another way
If i dont use my car there are some costs i dont have anymore

1. I save 350 on my next insurance payment
2. I save 180 on parking over 2 months ( 3 dollars a day by 60)
3. I save 40 dollars on oil changes( probably more once you factor in tax)
4. I save 120 dollars on gas ( probably more as i use more due to work, minimum 15 dollars in petrol used when i work that right there is another 120 but i will not include it even though this money does come out of my Work earnings.)

5. i save 80 dollars on my gym membership as i will have to quit my membership at good life as it takes to long walk there and then take the bus home. But this also forces my to use the gym at school which is free

6. that and i save about 150 maybe more by not fixing my car.

what does this total work out to

908 dollars

minus an extra 100 for my bus pass

Thus if i quit driving my car for the next two months and do not work i will only lose 100 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That and i save an extra 80 hours of time as well as i am not working.

Thus one could figure that when you factor in the costs of my vehcile and associated costs if i keep my car and continue to work
I really am only making 80 cents an hour once you minus all the expenses.

One could make the argument that, what about the extra time that will be used via public transport?

Fair enough from using the system this week it took me on average and extra 12 minutes of time to use my car once you factor walking in from the parking lot.

thus over the course of 2 months that works out to an extra 12 hours of time over 2 months. 12 mins per day over 2 months is 720/ 60 mins per hour equal 12 hours

Lets be generous and even double that figure 24 hours. If we caculate this time in terms of the value of my lost labor time at a generous university student rate of 10 dollars on hour that is still only 240 dollars.

However, the fact that i am not working still saves me 80 hours which at the same rate is equal to 800 dollars and i am not working for the effective pay of 80 cents an hour.

I am reading this book called sustainability and the city and I realized that i dont own my car it owns me. Many of you should ask the same.

From my analysis here i realized that my need for my car to work and transport results in alot more costs then i had realized.

my particular case was tough as i needed my car for my mode of production via delivering pizzas.

However, once i factored in the actual full cost of my automobile including insurance parking, mainteance and the associated change in my life that will result of not having this car

I only lose 100 dollars and i gain 80 hours of labour time.

even if i can only find a job that pays me 2 dollars an hour and i work for the same amount of time i am still ahead 60 dollars.

I am sure that even some of the KW tribers would pay me 2 dollars on hour to do thier dishes for them or scratch thier feet or something

Long live sustainablity and public transit

swilly

Last edited:

swilly

TRIBE Member
I even factored in extra costs related to clubbing

Ok one trip to toronto
15 dollars in gas roughly
10 dollars for parking

equals 25 dollars

You could also factor in an extra 1 for the cost of maintenance now needed for this journey as well

so that is 26 dollars.

Price of return ticket on the train 30 dollars

bus 26

Go bus even cheaper i think

Value of me being able to get drunk on the trip to toronto i would say 4 dollars.

Thus even with the train option it is still equal

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bass-Invader
sometimes having a car is a luxury rather than a necessity. and some people are willing to pay for that luxury.
I think many people underestimate the true cost of this luxury. I know I did

Perhaps i might think otherwise when the value of my labor rises to about 20 dollars on hour and i have little spare time.

However, i wonder how many people on this board with an auto have a labor value equal to 20 dollars on hour?

swilly

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

swilly

TRIBE Member
sorry I made a mistake

it was supposed to say an extra 12 minutes of time via the bus over the car, if you factor in the time required to walk from the parking lot for the car.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swilly
I think many people underestimate the true cost of this luxury. I know I did

Perhaps i might think otherwise when the value of my labor rises to about 20 dollars on hour and i have little spare time.

However, i wonder how many people on this board with an auto have a labor value equal to 20 dollars on hour?

swilly
600 dollars a week isn't uncommon.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bass-Invader
600 dollars a week isn't uncommon.
that is including taxes right as 20 times 40 is 800. I guess i am basing this from my perspective as a undergrad whose labour value at most is 15 dollars on hour.

but fair enough in rebuttal i am sure that many people who are earning such an amount also have financed thier this then adds another 300 to 400 to the amount each month not to mention an a probable eqaul amount in insurance.

It is still cheaper to not have one.

not to mention costs such as parking tickets speeding tickets and one could even put a value on the production of pollution as well.

In europe before the put new expressways in a full cost accounting assessment must be done.
Costs such as : noise reduction from noise barriers such as those along the 401 are factored in
quality of life: the loss of community
land use : massive land consumption of roads

Last edited:

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
noone argued that is not cheaper to not have one.
i just mentioned that some people feel that the luxury and convienience of owning a vehicle outweighs the cost of paying for one.

also, it depends where you live too.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Swilly ... don't forget to factor in the cost of all those senior citizens who die because of the pollution from your car.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
Swilly ... don't forget to factor in the cost of all those senior citizens who die because of the pollution from your car.
Hmm is that in terms of a savings or a cost.

I guess we save when they die as they are no longer a burden to health care

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member

At the moment my principle reason using my car is to deliver pizzas and to get back and forth from school.
You also save yourself in another way...

See being that you deliver pizza and pay such a reasonable insurance rate...

I know you are comitting fraud and using your car for commerical purposes without propper tax or insurance.

Did you know if you got into a car accident delivering a pizza they wouldn't have to pay you a nickkel or cover any of the damages you cause. Its basically the same as driving drunk in there eyes.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

swilly

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Full cost accounting of an auto: thinking outside the box

Originally posted by Ditto Much
You also save yourself in another way...

See being that you deliver pizza and pay such a reasonable insurance rate...

I know you are comitting fraud and using your car for commerical purposes without propper tax or insurance.

Did you know if you got into a car accident delivering a pizza they wouldn't have to pay you a nickkel or cover any of the damages you cause. Its basically the same as driving drunk in there eyes.
hmmm

Fraud nooooo
being a student yes

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Full cost accounting of an auto: thinking outside the box

hmmm

Fraud nooooo
being a student yes

You have commercial vehicle insurance???

BULLSHIT!!!

(I say that opnly because NOBODY who delivers pizza actually has the legal insurance to do it, my buddy in Grade School / High School wrote off his first car while he was delivering pizza. Insurance busted him for it!!

Regardless its fraudulant to use a vehicle insured for residential use for commercial purposes. But just take the following message...

If you get into an accident delivering pizzas, chances are your insurance company won't have to pay anything.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
while my jeep was out of commision for a couple months last year, I dont think I saved a damn thing. possibly because I was still paying insurance on it while it was sitting parked behind my house though.

but after paying for cabs and public transportation, and having to make the extra time for making sure I could get to and from where I needed to be, I was more than happy to spend the few hundred dollars to replace the clutch.
I probably could live without my jeep, but for people like myself that have been driving since 16, the convenience factors turn almost neccesary. everything from having to lug around laundry to a laundromat, getting to work on time when you've slept in a bit longer than expected, and even just making sure I get to see my girlfriend more often.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Full cost accounting of an auto: thinking outside the box

Originally posted by Liquidity
it took you all that to figure out that its not worth buying a car in order to support a 1 night a week job?
no i already had the vechicle and was using for my main mode of transport in waterloo.

If i had not been working i would not of even been breaking even.
Also i have been driving since i was 14( reservation rules)
point being i realized that my dependancy on my car was not worth it.

For some people i think it might be but i think alot of thier supposed inconvience associated with it is alot less then they would have you believe.

But.... it takes alot to see this

Free yourself from auto dependancy
swilly