1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

FS: Windows XP Professional (full version)

Discussion in 'Buy & Sell & Rent' started by Soundstream, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I have for sale one copy of Windows XP Professional. It is a legitimate copy that is no longer in use.

[​IMG]

I am asking $175 for the software (usually retails for about $400 if purchased as a full version without buying a new computer).

If you are interested in purchasing it (or have any questions), feel free to e-mail me at buysell@thechapmangroup.ca.

- Ian

2. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb TRIBE Member

no longer used?

does that mean that the serial key has NEVER been activated or...?

3. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

The software has been used and activated. However, it is no longer in use, as I am selling the computer it has been installed on (see my other thread).

The buyer will be able to install the software, and re-use the activation key. I have done this before with other copies of XP and have never experienced problems. As far as Microsoft is concerned, you are essentially just installing the OS on a new PC.

Since this is a FULL copy of the OS, it can be installed on any PC (this is NOT a copy that can only be sold with a new computer).

4. slingshot

slingshot TRIBE Member

People buy software for PCs?

ss

5. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

how else would you get it?

Jay

6. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb TRIBE Member

well, I just asked because I got an original WinXP Pro disc as well, with the serial key that was used to activate it first time around... and no, I couldn't activate it the 2nd time around without buying a new serial key.

(just for the record, I'm not interested in buying the XP cuz I usually don't spend money on something that I can get for free, but wanted to get this issue cleared up for my own sake)

7. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

First off, if you can get XP for free as you say, why would you worry about having to buy another copy to install it a second time?

Secondly, in this article, Microsoft explains "If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software."

It sounds to me that you posted because you wanted to threadcrap.

I can guarantee that whomever purchases the OS will be able to install it, or I will refund their money.

8. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb TRIBE Member

no intention to threadcrap, i was just wondering why i couldn't install the actual original copy i had... and i thank you for the answer.

good luck with the sale... (that's a pretty good deal for an original version of WinXP)

9. Flanders

Flanders TRIBE Member

Sorry for extending this: Just an FYI - I have never had any problems getting XP activated wth a phonecall. Any excuse to the operator at Windows. A HD wipe and re-install is the best one though. Good price for a legit copy.

10. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

$249 for New box of WinXP Pro (with Service Pack 2) Link

$169 if bought with a piece of hardware (Any piece of hardware) from PC Canada Link

11. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Re: Re: FS: Windows XP Professional (full version)

Thank you for your assistance in posting a link to a DIFFERENT product.

The item you posted a link for at FutureShop is for the UPGRADE version of the software. I am selling the FULL version, which does not require a previous copy of Windows to be installed on the PC.

Full Version - $399.99

Upgrade Version - $249.99

12. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb TRIBE Member

really? what do they ask you during the phonecall? the barcode on the CD itself or something? :D how do they verify that you have the actual retail CD in your hands?

13. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Re: FS: Windows XP Professional (full version)

Meh.. what'eves... the OEM copy with CD and Serial is 169$

And that's the only thing of real value, the serial number.

14. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: FS: Windows XP Professional (full version)

The OEM version is NOT the same as the full retail version.

If you do buy the OEM version, please keep in mind that this limitation exists ...

Source

Basically, if you buy the OEM version, you are purchasing an OS that will only install on one machine. If you change machines, the software is useless on your new machine.

The full version (the one I am selling) can be re-installed an unlimited number of times, and you can continue to use the software even if you buy a new PC.

15. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb TRIBE Member

hmm... that just made me look at the CD I got and it turns out to be OEM version... making me stuck with a worhless CD.

16. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

If you have the OEM version, then that probably explains this:

17. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

*bump*

Still available.

18. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Price drop to $150 CDN.

19. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

This item is still available.

Nothing says yuletide spirit like a genuine copy of Windows XP.

Holiday special: $140 (including shipping/delivery)

20. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member