• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

frozen pipes again

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
can someone please tell me how it is that the hot water pipe freezes more readily than the cold water pipe and how the cold water thaws from the hair dryer first but not the hot water wtf k thx

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
The process of heating water tends to reduce the size of the impurities that are present, which makes them less effective as nucleation centers. As a result, when a hot water pipe is exposed to extremely cold temperatures, the water within it will supercool more than the water in an adjacent cold water pipe. Yes, this means that the water in the cold pipe freezes first, BUT it freezes more slowly because it is not supercooled. More gradual freezing (from the edge inward) means that as pressure builds up in the cold water pipe, excess water can be pushed back out of the pipe through the still- unfrozen center. When the hot water pipe freezes, however, it freezes very quickly because it is more strongly supercooled, completely sealing off the pipe so that it cannot adjust to the pressure buildup, and so it is more likely to burst.

thanks.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
:|

they go from the basement through a brick wall to the outside before going into my kitchen.

who the fuck built this house. Dumbasses.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
I bet they were Portugeses.

I used to tease my ex about all my house problems and blamed her people for it(portuguese). She kinda did the same by teasing me everytime we saw a drunk on street and said he will look your chief

i think she kinda won in that contest

oh well
swilly

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
i think the whole pipes on the outside thing is a british thing...i've seen a pile of pics of buildings in london with that action..

absolute madness!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I have a friend who's pipes always freeze too. Sucks. Except her pipes are not on the outside. They pass up the inside of an uninsulated exterior wall to the kitchen so they may as well be on the outside. All they can do is open the cabinets uder the sink and run a space heater there to try and warm them up