• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

From the Medics: Our pet peeve!

Medic

TRIBE Member
From the Medics: Our pet peeve!

I’ve covered this one a couple of times so you can imagine my surprise when people who SHOULD know better did it anyway at a party on Saturday night…

Unsolicited advice from what we like to call “members of the C.C.B.P.” (Canadian College of Bystander Physicians) is a nuisance.

Here are some facts:

1) When we treat someone at a party, we don’t know for sure what exactly has been taken.

Why? Well, try these reasons on for size….

a) The patient doesn’t know for sure themselves, cuz…. pills don’t come with an ingredient list!
b) The person is not completely alert and oriented and the friends don’t know (see “a”) or are lying because they gave them the drugs and don’t want to get in trouble… (I don’t make this stuff up BTW…)
c) Because they have also been doing other things too and couldn’t keep track… (booze, weed, some random powder or other…)

With that in mind, we proceed cautiously and try to cover all the bases. We never rule anything as “just nothing” unless we can PROOVE it.

2) BS remedies don’t work on people having real problems (Sugar, oranges, fresh air, slaughtering a chicken at dawn etc…)
“Hey man, like I totally know this dude that was in a k-hole and like… we gave him sugar and he like… woke up and it was like sooo cool to be like… you know… a life saver!”

How do I know this is BS? Well because if it worked, what do you think Hospitals or Paramedics would be doing? That’s right! And…. They don’t!

3) Fresh air… Like coffee for a drunk… It doesn’t fix the person…. And we believed that crap for years!

So why all the fuss? I had not less than 3 people come up to me in the middle of dealing with a patient at an event on Saturday…

One was a guy that actually runs all ages events without medics (so clearly doesn’t think it’s worth having them…) He also looks like he’s WAY too experienced personally in the use of recreational pharmaceuticals…. (If that’s too vague for some of you… he looks like a massive pill monkey.) He tells me, “You know… she just needs some fresh air. That’s it.”

WOW! I can’t tell you how grateful I was to hear that… I mean, there I was thinking that the initial unconsciousness and partial seizure activity my partner witnessed when he first saw her was actually a factor! I’m such an idiot! And then, actually talking to my patient? What for? Just to see that she was clearly psychologically impaired by the drug she took? What was I thinking?!?! And the nausea and vomiting? What about it? That’s just marginal at best! I mean, just because people have died exhibiting that EXACT set of signs/symptoms doesn’t mean anything. None of that stuff matters. It’s all about the rough general impression from 6-10 feet away right? I’m just glad he took the time to tell my partner AND myself individually.

This astounding nightclub clinician was not alone! Another male appeared and told me the same thing. You see, that’s my problem right there… 2 guys, who haven’t seen anything except a girl lying on a stretcher…haven’t spoken to her…. Have taken no vital signs or got any history…. Can just take one look and diagnose that it’s not serious and that all she needs is fresh air… They are the real pros! I think I should just throw in the towel! I tip my hat to you gentlemen. I could never, and will never do what you do….

A third guy, came over to say that the beads around this patient’s neck, might be making her feel a little constrained, so I should consider removing them… To him I say... Did you actually look at how loose they were? No, really… Even the skirt she was wearing was more of a restraining factor. And if they were? Do you honestly think I would just leave them? Seriously, do you think we’re that incompetent?

Then there was the huffing and puffing from a few people when I asked them to move so I could put the stretcher out… I don’t even know what to say about that one.

You know, on the plus side not one was really rude or abrupt. But seriously folks, no matter how drunk, high or just plain curious you are, I can assure you, if and when we need help, we’ll ask for it. I always take the time to personally thank the people that do. Like the designated drivers and honest friends. Plus the Security people, promoters and venue owners that support safety at the events and actually do what’s necessary to get it right. That is what we like to see!

So, Guys (and girls)…

For the love of whatever you hold in high esteem…

Please… Let us do our job. Stay out of it, and enjoy the party.

Thank you.

Fond regards,

Adam Hobbs
Co-Founder Emergency Medical Responders

P.S. For those of you that don’t know us, we are a non-profit group of experienced EMRs that provide medic support for party events. We have worked at all kinds of locations, (Palais Royale, Tropicana, Big Bop, Zen Lounge, Viva, Roller rinks, Sound emporium/Turbo, Digital, 129 Spadina etc.) and for most of the big production companies, (Destiny, Nightmare, Empire, Ganja Smile, Big Bud, Goodfellaz, Sunshine Wayne, Harvest festival etc.)

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I haven't seen someone get treated at a party in ages...I thought it didn't happen very much anymore. I guess it's that I just don't get out as much as I used to!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I think you're message is an important one (especially after the unortunate death of the girl from guelph) Thanks for posting.

It just goes to show how man people do not know how to recognize someone in serious distress and points out the need for education in correct diagnoses and responses to critical situations involving drug use.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Also PULL OVER TO THE RIGHT AT THE 1ST SAFE TIME WHEN YOU HEAR OR SEE AN AMBULANCE ON THE ROAD! THAT COULD BE YOUR FAMILY MEMBER NEEDED THEIR LIFE SAVED

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Preroller
Also PULL OVER TO THE RIGHT AT THE 1ST SAFE TIME WHEN YOU HEAR OR SEE AN AMBULANCE ON THE ROAD! THAT COULD BE YOUR FAMILY MEMBER NEEDED THEIR LIFE SAVED

That is one of my major pet peeves. I absolutely hate it when people do not pull right. I mean really, where do you have to get to so badly that you can't stop for 30 seconds! :mad:

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
3) Fresh air… Like coffee for a drunk… It doesn’t fix the person…. And we believed that crap for years!

No it doesn't but it can really calm someone down who is just having a bad trip and not having a medical condition. I know its a tough call to make, but more times than not five minutes outside and bad halucinations are gone.

What always amazed me was how many people would walk past a person who is passed out at a party. Out cold not responding no shake and wake nothing, just a body that can't move.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Medic
Then there was the huffing and puffing from a few people when I asked them to move so I could put the stretcher out… I don’t even know what to say about that one.

Man, that is some bad behaviour.

You guys put up with a lot of bullshit - it's really good to see you out there though.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
thanks for posting
and thanks for being there

hope the venting helped
and i hope that anyone who saw themselves in your message will get it and give it some thought

you're doing something good and that's so commendable and you're writing to a community that - aside from some dopes - really does appreciate what you're doing. just sometimes people don't stop to think about it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
I completely understand how you can have pet peeves about people like this ... the irony is that these CCBP's really think that they are helping out. They mean well, without realizing that they are not helping at all and in many cases, impeding. Don't get me wrong, I am not siding with them. I do think that they mean well, though and probably do not realize that they are talking shit. For however useless they are, at least they show some level of concern - better than the bystander who walks past someone who is passed out without batting an eye nor giving a shit.

Of course, those who stand in the way of a stretcher being wheeled out are just ignorant peeps with complete disrespect for the well being of others. This covers those assholes who refuse to pull over to the side of the road when an emergency vehicle is approaching. GRRRRRRR!!!!

Anway, Medic and everyone like you, genuine thanks for being there and for doing what you do, as well as posting your pet peeves - heh, maybe it will provide illumination to some :)

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Medic
One was a guy that actually runs all ages events without medics (so clearly doesn’t think it’s worth having them…) He also looks like he’s WAY too experienced personally in the use of recreational pharmaceuticals…. (If that’s too vague for some of you… he looks like a massive pill monkey.) He tells me, “You know… she just needs some fresh air. That’s it.”

haha. shit.

the stupid things people say and do while on the drugs.

Medic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Sunshyne Jones
thanks for posting
and thanks for being there

hope the venting helped
and i hope that anyone who saw themselves in your message will get it and give it some thought

you're doing something good and that's so commendable and you're writing to a community that - aside from some dopes - really does appreciate what you're doing. just sometimes people don't stop to think about it.

The venting did help thanks... Sarcasm is all I have other than physical violence... I think it's better that way :D

I hope it didn't sound like a thankless job because believe me it isn't. We do get a lot of support from people and for the most part feel very appreciated. Every now and then some people need a bit of a slap. Hence my initial post. I hope those individuals recognise themselves and take the (not so subtle) hint....

----------
Adam

;)

Medic

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: From the Medics: Our pet peeve!

Originally posted by Booty Bits
haha, thats a wicked expression. i'm totally stealing it.

p.s. thank you for the work you do.

hehehe

Yes you may...

Just remember to put "AdamTM" at the end... hehehe

----------
Adam ;)