• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

from the creators of The Wire - Generation Kill

deep

TRIBE Member
Starts Sunday at 9PM:

Good news for HBO subscribers: Generation Kill lives up to the hype. The new seven-part miniseries from David Simon and Ed Burns (creators of The Wire) is based on a book by Rolling Stone journalist Evan Wright, who spent the first month of the Iraq war embedded with the Marines. The series is about a platoon of elite First Recons, who manned the war's early front lines without air cover, adequate supplies, or any particular sense of their mission. Simon and Burns got it right, apparently—at least according to the many Marines who helped out on the shoot. "I have crazy respect for those guys," says actor James Ransone, who plays ephedra-enhanced real-life jarhead Ray Person. "They're just a bunch of kids, and the shit they do is insane."
HBO, Sunday, July 13, 9 p.m. EDT

Stop Bill C-10

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Caught it tonight. I thought it was well done (enough). The CSI filming style was a bit distracting at first, but I got used to it. It's no Band of Brothers, but then again, this era doesn't have the moral bearing of WWII. An HD viewing is a must.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Woody

TRIBE Member
I too watched this last night and was impressed. The interaction between the characters brought back some funny memories from my time in the reserves...

We'll see of the rest of the season lives up to the first episode...

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I'm on my third season of The Wire now...and it's become my second favorite show (to BSG of course :p)

ill have to check this out

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Watched Ep03 last night, its amazing to watch this show, and see these guys do everything to a T in terms of small unit / advance to contact / tactics and maneover. Highly addictive show - love it.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I think an interesting theme in the show so far the emphasis on how much almost criminal incompetence and careerist self-regard exists in the higher ranks of the corps (danger-close sequence stands out). I did some further reading on some forums where ex-recon folks are commenting on the miniseries and many are verifying that sentiment through retelling of their own experiences in Iraq and elsewhere.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
It's growing on me. I like the characters, I like the tactics, I like the grunts vs. the brass conflict, I like the reporter from Rolling Stone. I'm just looking for some more intrigue. I haven't seen EP3 yet, so I'll watch that now and see if I find what I'm looking for.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Yeah EP 3 is up there over 2. I agree with you that the show has the whiz bang, the explicit and the implicit, but it's still missing deeper components. Some of those deeper things develop in EP3, but I get a feeling that they're not going to continue with their exploration and shift focus onto something else.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
OTIS said:
I think an interesting theme in the show so far the emphasis on how much almost criminal incompetence and careerist self-regard exists in the higher ranks of the corps (danger-close sequence stands out). I did some further reading on some forums where ex-recon folks are commenting on the miniseries and many are verifying that sentiment through retelling of their own experiences in Iraq and elsewhere.
I think they are going to expand on that for sure, I dont see how they can avoid just glossing over it.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Watched the first three episodes. Godfather is absolutely unreal with his military vocabulary and rhetoric. His words often over evaluate and make a situation seem more elaborate than it often is. Talk about inspiring the troops!!! Man....blowjobs for everyone!

It's funny how watching this show with someone who has actual military experience can show you an entirely different side to what's going on, and allow for a bit more of a perspective with the decisions being made. I've watched this with a semi-retired member of the CAF, and he explained to me some of the attitudes that command shows (Marines have no respect for inventory - there's a reason why their motto is "Marines make do" and why no-one is surprised that the truck was left behind), but he also explained to me why Godfather can come across as such a glory hound as well - he fully understands that momentum is what will prevent the war from being another withdraw like the first Gulf War, as well as the importance of showing reconnaissance's value in the battle.

The grabbing of the airfield with hummers though was suicidal - airfields like that are taken with armor, while the hummers are there for intel only.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
deep said:
I don't think I've hated anyone more on screen than Captain America.

Kept waiting for someone to accidentally pop him.

I've been watching Band of Brothers at the same time as this show and it's fucking depressing me.