• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

friends who use kickstarter.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Lately I have noticed a trend of friends going on kickstarter and the like and raising funds for their projects. I am torn about this. On one hand I certainly respect someone needing funds to get a project off the ground yet on the other hand I feel like if I do not invest in their project, they may not think of me as atrue friend. The thing is, they aren't my BEST or close friends, so I couldn't give a shit what they think - but do you find this is as annoying as the times when someone walks around the office in hopes of raising money for X's birthday or something along those lines? I don't work in an office so I'm not privy to that situation but I have heard people complain about it.

In general the kickstarter campaigns I have been asked to invest in are NOT revolutionary or ground breaking, they are just a means of making someone realize their dream.

Your thoughts?

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I'm kind of curious, want to post examples of what projects they are trying to get started?

I've never seen any of my friends or Facebook friends actually start one or another crowdsourcing effort.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
worse to me is fucking famous rich people going on kickstarter to fund things.

spike lee? bro you're a fucking bazillionaire...make your own damn movie. why you need $500 from tim, the guy who delivers papa johns in boise, idaho?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Well, people don't seem to have an issue with paying for two typically attractive people traveling the world for no reason other than to have fun and discover the world. *cough* Bikini pics as your reward. Anyway...

I don't think it should be obligatory. If they expect money from you and somehow treat you differently because you don't support them financially in an endeavor of their own making then fuck 'em. No really, what kinda friends are those?

Kickstarters should have an IOU function. I'd gladly lend $1000 to a good friend for something if they pay me back. Don't like free rides. Too Chinese for that. And something tells me Jake, you're too YOU for that. lol

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Truth

TRIBE Member

spike lee? bro you're a fucking bazillionaire...make your own damn movie. why you need $500 from tim, the guy who delivers papa johns in boise, idaho?
[YOUTUBE]t38bi5dAxZY[/YOUTUBE]

kuba

TRIBE Member
I'm kind of curious, want to post examples of what projects they are trying to get started?

I've never seen any of my friends or Facebook friends actually start one or another crowdsourcing effort.

One is for opening a new fashion line aimed at the toddler market, the other is for a graphic-design-visual-arts exhibit.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I don't think it should be obligatory. If they expect money from you and somehow treat you differently because you don't support them financially in an endeavor of their own making then fuck 'em. No really, what kinda friends are those?
Of course not obligatory but you can't help but wonder if THEY are thikning of you differently (and maybe not show it).

Kickstarters should have an IOU function. I'd gladly lend $1000 to a good friend for something if they pay me back. Don't like free rides. Too Chinese for that. And something tells me Jake, you're too YOU for that. lol
If you were starting a company/product/line etc that I believed in, I'm not too "me" for that, and you probably aren't either. So perhaps that's the question - the projects that have appeared aren't interesting enough.

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter

Actually I find a number of these crowdfunding campaigns to be just plain fucked - the individuals/organizations receiving the capital are absolutely not handing over any equity, so WTF? I'm OK with prepaying the purchase price of a piece of hardware in some circumstances - barely.

Imagine a company going to a venture capital firm looking to raise a few hundred grand and offering product freebies as the incentive/payment...??? Crowdfunding makes about as much sense but people seem mostly willing to ignore that because it's a few hundred or a thousand instead of tens or hundreds of thousands... not for me.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
If you were starting a company/product/line etc that I believed in, I'm not too "me" for that, and you probably aren't either. So perhaps that's the question - the projects that have appeared aren't interesting enough.

Well, there you go. I think people should start with grants first before asking their friends. Lots of government programs people don't take advantage of. At least this was the case a few years ago.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Actually I find a number of these crowdfunding campaigns to be just plain fucked - the individuals/organizations receiving the capital are absolutely not handing over any equity, so WTF? I'm OK with prepaying the purchase price of a piece of hardware in some circumstances - barely.

Imagine a company going to a venture capital firm looking to raise a few hundred grand and offering product freebies as the incentive/payment...??? Crowdfunding makes about as much sense but people seem mostly willing to ignore that because it's a few hundred or a thousand instead of tens or hundreds of thousands... not for me.
"yeah hello...angel investor? id like $______ to start my new business. in exchange you'll get dinner cooked by my moms (her spaghetti is legendary) and a romp in the hay with my cousin krista"

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
I have a friend who used Kickstarter a few years back to fu.nd the production of her first album. She raised over 5000$. I was greatly impressed. Tho' true, I suppose any wanker can use it for some banal project, but whaevs, whatever works, works. (Plz be aware that Arts funding in the usa is absolute shit. And I would never donate to an artist I don't believe in. Don't care if they're a *friend* or not.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Every pledge receives an incentive back, I don't see what the big deal is. You can help out by sharing their project, if you're not planning to give a dollar or two on your social stream.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I don't get a lot of these, but doesn't it just come down to your personal opinion on the value of the project?

Making a documentary on a dying cultural tradition = worth my twenty bucks.

Sending scarcely-working friends backpacking to Machu Pichu = gtfo.

I like a system that rewards good ideas that might not otherwise get funding.