• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fridge Repair?

stryker

TRIBE Member
Hi Tribe,

Can anyone recommend a fridge repairman? Do these people even exist anymore? Is it worth the cost?

I don't know of anyone who has used this service before...any help would be appreciated.

thanks
stew :)

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
In my experience it has always been cheaper to replace appliances vs getting them repaired. This way you get a whole new warranty.

stryker

TRIBE Member
fingers crossed that wont be the case, but i'm not optimistic. Basically it'll cost $40-$100 for the initial inspection. It's not ideal but seems like a reasonable gamble.

stew

videotronic

TRIBE Member
In my experience it has always been cheaper to replace appliances vs getting them repaired. This way you get a whole new warranty.
thats kind of insane. i had an issue last year that the repair cost $80 cash...replacing the fridge would have been ~$800 + tax.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
you also only where socks 3 times before throwing them out.

and you are just waiting for your Mazda to break so you can buy your GTR ;)

*grin*

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
I'd look at the age of the fridge if you are considering a fix. If you are a home owner, sometimes replacing a fridge is better in the long run. A newer fridge is usually more energy efficient than one that is 5-10 years old.... thus actually saving you on your energy bill....than running an old clunky machine. New fridges are often quieter too.

Also consider, many places, like Home Depot, often have sales where you can pay by instalments with zero interest for a year.

octo

TRIBE Member
fingers crossed that wont be the case, but i'm not optimistic. Basically it'll cost $40-$100 for the initial inspection. It's not ideal but seems like a reasonable gamble.

stew
good for you! too many people just throw shit out and buy new shit.

but, a lot of modern electronics don't lend themselves to being "fixed" sometimes you need a new board and it's not like the repair guys can just order it.

electronics manufacturers are literally making disposable products because consumers demand lower prices. however this crap doesn't lend itself to being repaired.

that being said, i can't wait till my fridge craps out. it's probably 20+ years old and is so fucking loud.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
you also only where socks 3 times before throwing them out.

and you are just waiting for your Mazda to break so you can buy your GTR ;)

*grin*
Who can deny the feel of a brand new sock? Cmon..you're lying if you tell you don't love it! haha

Oddly enough I am slowly swaying towards a Volvo C70 these days. The new ones are amazing.

Ok guys I guess I should have been more specific. I maintain a few fridges at our institute and in most cases the repair is over $200 when you factor in parts and labor. At home depot which is right across the street, I can get basic fridges for 3-500 dollars depending on sales and options. Thus I felt it was more cost effective to purchase a new high efficiency fridge rather than try to keep maintaining an older one.

Today its problem A and tomorrow its problem B. Just purchase new, gain the warranty and move on.

To whom posted the $80 dollar repair bill, yes you can call me crazy because in that case it would ridiculous to go out and buy a new fridge, especially with your own money.

On that note, im off to buy a new batch of socks. ;)

stryker

TRIBE Member
good for you! too many people just throw shit out and buy new shit.

but, a lot of modern electronics don't lend themselves to being "fixed" sometimes you need a new board and it's not like the repair guys can just order it.

electronics manufacturers are literally making disposable products because consumers demand lower prices. however this crap doesn't lend itself to being repaired.

that being said, i can't wait till my fridge craps out. it's probably 20+ years old and is so fucking loud.
That's what we're afraid of...the fridge is one of those fancy digital Samsung jobs. The warranty is still valid, but it was bought by the previous owner and there is no receipt. We've got the guy Samung recommended coming over. The dude at the Hoemstars link posted above was super friendly but he doesn't do Mississauga. He mentioned that Samsung is a fairly new brand and that we should go with someone that OEM recommends as they'll be experienced with the brand.

stew :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Ok guys I guess I should have been more specific. I maintain a few fridges at our institute and in most cases the repair is over $200 when you factor in parts and labor. At home depot which is right across the street, I can get basic fridges for 3-500 dollars depending on sales and options. Thus I felt it was more cost effective to purchase a new high efficiency fridge rather than try to keep maintaining an older one.
That's a fridge where people keep their lunch, not a home fridge. A decent fridge in your home will cost you upwards of $2k - that's one with a water filter, crushed/cubed ice, PROPER crispers etc. etc.

Most fridge repair is really fucking basic, like there's some peas in the freezer blocking the drainage. The rest is still cheaper than replacement.

The most expensive part of a fridge is the housing, the compressor and the coil are cheap by comparison.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I've never come across a product I couldn't get a replacement board for. Considering that relays are one of the most susceptible electronic components and they are in almost all appliances, if there's a repairman for a product, they should most certainly be able to get a replacement board. Hell there's entire businesses built on buying these old boards, replacing the broken relays/caps/pots and selling them again.

Go buy a refurbed compressor for your fridge. They probably cost next to nothing.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
That's a fridge where people keep their lunch, not a home fridge. A decent fridge in your home will cost you upwards of $2k - that's one with a water filter, crushed/cubed ice, PROPER crispers etc. etc.
I bought a fridge last year for 500$ that had everything but the water, crushed ice options. crispers etc were all very nice, tons of space and options to move place things, HUGE freezer etc.

IMO 2k on a home fridge is not the starting cost for ' most ' people.

fuck i bought 5 quite reliable and solid appliances for just over 2k at the brick ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I bought a fridge last year for 500$ that had everything but the water, crushed ice options. crispers etc were all very nice, tons of space and options to move place things, HUGE freezer etc.

IMO 2k on a home fridge is not the starting cost for ' most ' people.

fuck i bought 5 quite reliable and solid appliances for just over 2k at the brick ;)
FWIW I never said starter cost, I said a decent fridge. :p