• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Fresh BS: Drivers now need an international licence in Florida

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
This just in from the department of red tape you didn't know existed: Snowbirds from Mississauga and other Canadians must now carry an international driving permit in addition to their regular licence when driving in Florida.

The new state law quietly came into effect on Jan. 1, but no one in the tourism industry really noticed until a British journalist called this week.
"We realize that tourists will be an unintended side effect of this new law," said Kathy Torian of Visit Florida, who just got the heads-up from "the folks" at the state highway department. "We're trying to help spread the word to the tourism community around the world."

Millions of international visitors drive in Florida each year, and legislators thought the international driving permit — a standardized document that translates the licence details into 10 different languages — would help law officers interpret foreign licences.

The new law applies to any non-resident, including all those Canadians getting ready for March break.
The Canadian Automobile Association, while recommending Florida-bound travellers obtain a permit, is urging the state to modify or waive the law for Canadians, who make up Florida's top international tourism market. (More than three million Canucks visited last year.)

The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles confirmed it is looking to "clarify the law" so that English-language licences would be acceptable. The next legislative session starts in March, and the soonest any change might happen would be July 1, said spokeswoman Kirsten Olsen-Doolan, adding, "we love our Canadians."

Until the law is clarified, Canadians without the permit would technically be considered "driving without a valid licence," she said.
"Theoretically you could be arrested," she said. "Law enforcement officers use discretion, and if they pull you over because the tail light is out, most of them, as long as you conduct yourself appropriately and everything, probably would not choose to be super tough on you. But I can't speak for that, because there are 400 law enforcement agencies in Florida."
Canadians can pick up an IDP at a local CAA office for $25, plus the cost of passport photos. It's valid for one year.
Snowbirds already nestled in the sunshine state for the season must apply by mail, as the permits can only be issued in Canada.
Ridiculous!

oeretS

TRIBE Member
lol I'm flying to Tampa this afternoon and renting a car at the airport. Sounds like they'll still rent you a car, you're just driving technically illegally?

erika

TRIBE Member
Don't know that it's ridiculous, given the number of very senior citizens who spend the winter down there. In many countries you need one of those; it is a bit odd that it's only Florida...

djfear

TRIBE Member
Don't know that it's ridiculous, given the number of very senior citizens who spend the winter down there. In many countries you need one of those; it is a bit odd that it's only Florida...
It is ridiculous. They are our neighbour. The more hurdles and rules you put in place, the less likely someone will come visit. If I had to buy an international drivers license to drive to NY State do you think I would do that? Like come on....

I already refuse to fly into or through the US unless it's the only alternative. I'm willing to pay $300+ more for my plane ticket just so it doesn't go through Chicago or LA or something stupid, because the security theatre is retarded.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
lol I'm flying to Tampa this afternoon and renting a car at the airport. Sounds like they'll still rent you a car, you're just driving technically illegally?
Good thing I posted this! Yeah exactly, they should be lenient, play the dumb card
Have a great trip!

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
It is ridiculous. They are our neighbour. The more hurdles and rules you put in place, the less likely someone will come visit. If I had to buy an international drivers license to drive to NY State do you think I would do that? Like come on....

I already refuse to fly into or through the US unless it's the only alternative. I'm willing to pay $300+ more for my plane ticket just so it doesn't go through Chicago or LA or something stupid, because the security theatre is retarded.
Why don't you like it when your bits and bobs are x-rayed for everyone to see?! If you're hot enough, you could be the lucky ones who has their x-ray passed around.

Or get your property damaged!

By Michael Allen, Wed, February 13, 2013
Famous German cello soloist Alban Gerhardt claims that his cello bow, valued at $20,000, was damaged by TSA inspectors at Washington's Dulles Airport on Feb. 6.

The bow, which Gerhardt places in a travel case along with the instrument, arrived in Chicago snapped in half and possibly damaged beyond repair.

“My bow must have moved out of its cover, and instead of putting it back in, they just slammed the case shut and broke the bow that way over the bridge,” Gerhardt told Strad Magazine.

Gerhardt was on a trip from Berlin to Madison, Wisconsin, where he was scheduled to perform with the Madison Symphony Orchestra.

After checking the instrument in Berlin, Gerhardt rechecked it in Washington D.C. as he passed through customs. It was okay at that time, but he discovered the damage upon arriving at Chicago's O'Hare airport, along with an inspection notice from the TSA.

"It truly is a shame about Mr. Gerhardt’s bow. I recommend that he file a claim to our Claims Management Branch for their review and adjudication," said TSA spokesperson Lisa Farbstein. "I would encourage him to file the claim as soon as possible with his flight information so that the airport might be able to retrieve any potential videotape of his case being opened."

The bow was made by the 19th-century German maker Heinrich Knopf.

Gerhardt purchased it in 2001. He plans to get the snapped bow repeaired in Berlin, which is unlikely.

Gerhardt said that he has been traveling internationally since 1990 and "nothing ever happened.”
TSA Damages Cellist Alban Gerhardt's $20,000 Bow

acheron

TRIBE Member
The upside of this is that there will be less seniors getting into accidents in Florida this year.

erika

TRIBE Member
The "legislators" (I use that term loosely) who proposed this must have cab/limo/driver businesses on the side...

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
oh looks like we can delete the thread now...

The Canadian Automobile Association says it has been assured by Florida officials that the legislation will be amended to exclude Canadians and that law enforcement authorities do not intend to actively enforce the new rule.

“We talked to the officials, we said this is ridiculous and luckily they are agreeing with us … and they are going to make changes,” said Ian Jack, a spokesman for the CAA.

But it will likely take several months before the law would be amended, he said.

Meanwhile, news of the rule has alarmed Canadians planning trips to the Sunshine State. In Ottawa, several people were waiting outside a CAA office to get their international driving permits before it opened on Thursday morning, Mr. Jack said.

The permits allow drivers to operate vehicles in other countries without further tests. The CAA issues IDPs, which include translations of driver’s licences and photo identification, for $25 under an agreement with the government of Canada.

The CAA says that individual drivers should decide whether to get an IDP, though obtaining one is the safest choice.

“We’re not in a position to advise people officially that they should ignore a law and we’re certainly in no position to guarantee them that nothing bad will happen if they do ignore this law,” Mr. Jack said.

“On the other hand, the likelihood of something going wrong for you in Florida is pretty low and we do have clear signals from Florida law enforcement that they’re not looking to make a big deal out of this and that they recognize they’ve made a mistake.”
New Florida law requires non-U.S. residents to have international driving licence - The Globe and Mail

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
So apparently CAA is a mad house right now with everyone going to get their IDL according to co worker who is reading it on twitter.