• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

frequent travel with dogs?

aki

TRIBE Promoter
(somewhat)hypothetical situation:

you currently live in toronto, and may possibly be moving to BC for work. the job requires you to come back to Toronto every 6 months, for 1 month at a time. this arrangement will last 1 year for sure (so, returning twice over the next year), possibly a bit longer.

is this too much airline travel for a dog? i imagine it's really stressful for them.

i'm thinking of perhaps doing one of the trips by car.

has anyone had to travel frequently with their dog?

swenard

TRIBE Member
I think dogs handle anything well as long as they know there is a "cookie" at the end of the trip. I think my dog would love plane rides, except she would be dissapointed she can't stick her head out the window!

squirrely

TRIBE Member
maybe you can find someone to watch your pup for a month at a time? flying is pretty awful for dogs unless they can be in the cabin with you.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

new to t.o.

TRIBE Member
My dog hates the crate & after two flights, I vowed never to put him through air travel again. We've travelled by car & he likes that much better.

Even with tranquilizers, it still caused him a lot of stress.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
It really depends on the dog and also on how old it is. Some dogs get more nervous than others.

As for the frequency of travel, there are some people who travel worldwide to get to dog shows several times a year, and their dogs aren't bothered by it.

I'd suggest talking to your vet and finding out what he/she suggests. Tranquilizers might be a good idea if you have a particularly nervous dog.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
new to t.o. said:
My dog hates the crate & after two flights, I vowed never to put him through air travel again. We've travelled by car & he likes that much better.

Even with tranquilizers, it still caused him a lot of stress.
fyi, you shouldn't ever give your dogs tranquilizers for air travel...this stresses them out more.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

emiwee

TRIBE Member
aki said:
(somewhat)hypothetical situation:

you currently live in toronto, and may possibly be moving to BC for work. the job requires you to come back to Toronto every 6 months, for 1 month at a time. this arrangement will last 1 year for sure (so, returning twice over the next year), possibly a bit longer.

is this too much airline travel for a dog? i imagine it's really stressful for them.

i'm thinking of perhaps doing one of the trips by car.

has anyone had to travel frequently with their dog?
i don't have any dog advice for you, but, congratulations if you're following you-know-who for some awesome job opportunity in BC! :)

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Beer babe said:
fyi, you shouldn't ever give your dogs tranquilizers for air travel...this stresses them out more.
i've heard that it prevents them from regulating their body temperature, which is dangerous on exposed tarmacs in extreme weather.

tonep

TRIBE Member
give the dog that milk they used to give B.A. barrackus on the A-Team... he was pissed, and it always settled him down...

"hey hannibal, how'd we get to panama, i dont remember no ride to Panama"

new to t.o.

TRIBE Member
Beer babe said:
Two separate vets suggested it to me &, as I said, I don't plan on travelling by air with him anymore. It didn't stress him out more but thanks for the sweeping generalization.

aki

TRIBE Promoter
emiwee said:
i don't have any dog advice for you, but, congratulations if you're following you-know-who for some awesome job opportunity in BC! :)
hehe...thanks. it's not 100% yet, thought the opportunity is pretty darn good.

back on topic. my dog was crate-trained, and actually now really likes her crate. we ended up taking the door of the crate off eventually, and now she often goes in there to sleep/chill.

i'm not sure if being crate trained and liking her crate would make airline travel any easier on the dog though.

and i've heard of dog show people traveling many times per year by plane. and they don't see anything wrong with it.

ahhhh....conflicting stories/advice abound.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
2 days without food or water! poor kitty.. :(
did they offer any form of compensation? (like perhaps lining up their entire staff for a good ol DIWC ass kickin)

aki

TRIBE Promoter
~Loress~ said:
did they offer any form of compensation? (like perhaps lining up their entire staff for a good ol DIWC ass kickin)
loress, what did it cost to ship your dog to BC?

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
well, i havent actually booked her a flight yet.. my mum already wants to come out for a visit :)
if syd was flying alone, it would cost roughly $200 (westjet).. and if accompanied its something like $40-50. only 24hrs needed to book too.

i dont imagine she'll enjoy the flight.. tranquilizers seemed like a good option but now im re-thinking.. does anyone have any other suggestions?

~Loress~ said:
haha, no, I WISH.
that was the flight my whole family got food poisoning and we had to wait around the airport for fucking hours before we gave up and went home. either my dad or mum had to go back and keep vigil (read: verbally abuse everyone in sight at BA) until they found him.