• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Freestylers Commercial

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
Has anyone else seen this?
It's a commercial for some phone company ... I can't remember which one though ... which is kinda scarey cause I just saw the ad about 3 hours ago
But anyways ... it's got Freestylers - Weekend Song playing in the backgroud

stu

funkNstyle

TRIBE Member
I saw that, but they chopped it up. It's definetly weekend song tho
I think they fucked wit it enuf to avoid paying copyright/royalty's etc etc.

I've seen 3 commercials lately that have done that. They either change a few lyrics, mutate the beat, drop lyrics or have sumone else sing them.

Jonny

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
Oh I'm sure they were paid nicely for that commercial. Just because you chop something up doesn't mean you don't pay royalties. Commercials have the money to roll with and they will pay for the track. Why would they go through all the big money for air time and then not pay an artist.

funkNstyle

TRIBE Member
Since when would anyone wanna pay for sumthin? Especially a corporation.
I'm not sayin the stylers didnt get paid for it but i dont see companies tryin to get out of paying royalties as a stretch of imagination.

*kicks Colin in the shin*

haha

Jonny

KickIT

TRIBE Member
oh young jedi, you have much to learn. Corporations "have" to pay royalties or they'll get sued by the RIAA faster than you can say rip-off. How much money do you think Moby's made from ad firms. The commercial was for Motorola phones, they can afford to pay royalties for the track.

*c*

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

funkNstyle

TRIBE Member
I know by law u have to pay royalites if ur usin sumones music, beats and samples.

but its only after a certain length of air play (i dont know what it is off the top of my head) But if its under a ceratin time or chopped all to shit where it doesnt really sound like the original they could *possibly* get away with it.
Im not sayin this is the case for this commercial (its almost identical) but i know there are ways to *try* and avoid the copyright infringments. The tv told me so... and if the tv says it... it MUST be true hahaha

Jonny

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
You only can use like maybe 7 beats straight or 3 seconds maybe.
Do you know how much money there is in licencing tracks???
Do you know the Stones were paid something like 10 million dollars by Microsoft to use "Start ME Up" in there windows 95 commercials?
Do you know that Moby's PLAY album has probably made him more money in licencing than in sales. Every one of the tracks on that album was sold for licencing to commercials before the album even came out. It is the most licened album in history.

The amount of time you can sample is not as long as you think.
You think theses guys make money off selling records to breaks DJ's ??
It's about selling tracks to commercials and compilations/soundtracks.

funkNstyle

TRIBE Member
Ur right, i didnt know the amount of time was that short. I knew there was ways around it but never realized how hard it was to get away with it.

I guess it would be much easier to do in the electronica scene, with it being "underground" the odds of sumone hearing a stolen sample, lettin the record company know and legal actions being taken would take much to long for anyone to really get burned.
At least more so than a tv commercial.

Then again u could always do it on a white and not worry.