• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Freeing your mind.

aCro`

TRIBE Member
Ok so now I have a question that the stress thread reminded me... how does one not think about something? I am the worst at this.
Weed/booze is not an option. Weed makes me paranoid and i already am an alcoholic :rolleyes:.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
There ain't no flies on us
There ain't no flies on us

There may be flies on some of you guy
But there ain't no flies on us

Sing that three or four times and try thinking about something else. I dare you.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by aCro`
Ok so now I have a question that the stress thread reminded me... how does one not think about something? I am the worst at this.
Weed/booze is not an option. Weed makes me paranoid and i already am an alcoholic :rolleyes:.
you can't "not" think about something, trying not to think of it first requires you think of it and then try to blot it out

consequently the only way you can "not" think about something is to focus on something else

this is why people have so many different solutions to getting their mind off things (emotional woes, relationships, career, whatever) and despite being varied they work for the people involved

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
deal with whatever is on your mind and then it wont be constanlty bothering you.

alternatively really great hot sex. that keeps my mind off of stress. and makes for a great sleep after.

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
books, talk to people that you are scared of, talk to beautiful people, talk to ugly people, talk to yourself.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Put on some music and turn it up really loud.

The resulting complaints from your neighbours will take your mind off what you were thinking and on to what uptight assholes the people around you are.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by opium_souldjah
free your mind and the rest will follow
Be colour blind, don't be so shallow.

For me, it's not a matter of clearing it out of the head. You can't do that instantly. It's more of a moderated obsessive process where you can choose certain times to think about it. I am way too busy sometimes to think about certain shit so I guess keeping yourself busy with things that are more significant to the present works for me.

But I usually use my subway commuting time to dwell. It works because as soon as I reach my next destination, I have things to do, other things to think about.

Talking about it helps if you have people who will sincerely listen.

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by aCro`
You sort of have to attack the machine that is your mind, rather than looking to stop one particular thought. Start by trying to catch yourself each time you think about a past event or a possible future scenario. This sort of thinking is what the mind does almost 100% of the time and it pulls you away from living in the moment. While you're walking you're not just taking it all in, you're thinking about something bad that happened at work. While you are sitting on the subway you are thinking about what might happen in a meeting, or class or whatever. Learning to calm the mind should help you enjoy everything while you're doing it more, while reducing stress.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweet_e
alternatively really great hot sex. that keeps my mind off of stress. and makes for a great sleep after.
ok maybe i am not doing it right but i find that really intense sex can actually make me feel worse after, as all my emotions just kinda rush to the surface.

then again, it can be a great way to get out of your head, and if you are not trying to bury your emotions--only t stop unhealthy thinking patterns--then by all means, BANG AWAY.

Jazz

TRIBE Member
my approach - step 1. self administered cognitive therapy...
failing that, step 2. self administered lobotomy...

i've applied step 1 and it's worked quite well so far... but i've got my fingers crossed that it fails cause i've got this schnazzy new black & decker i'd love to break in...

Alita

TRIBE Member
Music defintely does it for me. It's the only time when i can say my mind is thinking of nothing...just listening. I tried meditation a few times before, it's really hard for me - I either fall asleep or start daydreaming. I guess it takes a lot of practice.

:)

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
This is one of the biggest stressers in my life. Once I get something in my head, it never ever goes away. And more often than not, I don't address the underlying situation (ie, doing something about it instead of thinking about it) and so it just keeps circulating around in there forever.

Judo helped me get everything off my mind, but vertigo has put a stop to that about 5 months ago, so now i'm fucked.