• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Free things to do in Toronto

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
So a couple of my friends and I haven't gotten together in like 3 months. Mainly cuz of money - WE HAVE NONE. So I am wondering if I could get some ideas on free or cheaper things to do in Toronto. Any ideas would be awesome. :D Thanks!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
the ROM is free once a week, same for the AGO...

there is teh canadablooms festival on this weekend, it's only $10 to get in...

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
Interests? Anything really - being inside, outside, eating, watching, smoking(thepot), drinking, laughing, crying, walking :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sk8

TRIBE Member
there are tons of free/cheap things in toronto

there are lots of parks, the whole harbourfront area to walk or play in.

there are many live music places that have no cover as well, but you will have to buy a drink or two.

as has been said the museum has a free night. many of the smaller art galleries and stuff are inexpensive as well.

window shopping/browsing is some cool areas of town

do you actually want events or clubs or just locations?

it's pretty vague what you are looking for.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
oh I guess we just want to chill - I think we are going to the art gallery around noon and then lunch (any ideas for lunch around there?) and then I dunno. I guess we can just walk around - I think it is going to be raining so inside ideas would be awesome. Maybe we could go to a festival theatre or something.

I am just basically looking for locations and events - not clubs. Thanks,

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
check out the BATA shoe museum...the Egypt exhibit has opened at the ROM, it's a sure fire good time. I think Monday night is the free one, but I could be wrong.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
i thought friday afternoons were the free ROM time

and i doubt they'll let you see the big exhibit for free...just the regular old crap that's there ;p

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
If I'm not mistaken, Friday nights after 5 the ROM is free and Wednesdays at the AGO. All the little art galeries are usually free, if you wake a walk down Queen W, like the stretch between Bathurst and Dufferin, there's a bunch of them. I've also waltzed into the Power Plant Gallery at Harbourfront for free.

Toronto has lots of festivals and things (I particularly like Buskerfest) but you have to know when those are.

Most of the non-profit theatres have Pay What Yuo Can Saturday matinee's, all of them except Canstage whose PWYCs ar Monday nights. I'm happy to field any theatre related questions if anyone's interested.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
So a couple of my friends and I haven't gotten together in like 3 months. Mainly cuz of money - WE HAVE NONE. So I am wondering if I could get some ideas on free or cheaper things to do in Toronto. Any ideas would be awesome. :D Thanks!

1. get money

2. do things

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
I've also waltzed into the Power Plant Gallery at Harbourfront for free.

Toronto has lots of festivals and things (I particularly like Buskerfest) but you have to know when those are.

Most of the nojn-profit theatres have Pay What Yu Can Saturday matinee's, all of hem except Canstage whose PWYCs ar Monday nights. I'm happy to field any theatre related questions if anyone's interested.

I would love to know where the non-profit theatres are - that sounds right up our alley :)

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Alright:

Theatre Passe Muraille, 16 Ryerson (1 block N of Queen and E of Bathurst) http://www.passemuraille.on.ca/
I think they're playing a play now called Axes of Evil which looks really really good.

Factory Theatre, 125 Bathurst (just a couple blocks S of Queen) http://www.factorytheatre.ca

Tarragon Theatre, 30 Bridgeman (one bus stop N of Dupont on the Bathurst line) www.tarragontheatre.com

Buddies In Bad Times Theatre, 12 Alexander (Just E of Yonge between Wellesley and Carlton) www.buddiesinbadtimestheatre.com

All of the above have Sat aft PWYC, times are either 2 or 2:30 They'll usually have a sign saying Suggested $10 Min, but if you lookyoung enough to be a student or poor enough to be an artist no one will bat an eyelash at you paying $5 and I've seen people with enough balls to pay $3.

OK, now Canstage has 2 locations, one right on Front St W of Church, and it's unmissable, it has a huge marquee. The other one on Berkeley St (E of Sherbourne, S of Front) and it should be playing the Syringa Tree right now, which I want to see. It's PWYCs are Monday nights (which, incidentally, is when all the other theatres are dark.) www.canstage.com

OK, I menioned hte only 2 plays which I can suggest at all, for the other theatres you can check out their websites, or read reviews in eye or now to get an idea of what they're playing.

Yay for everyone in the world seeing more theatre!

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
If I'm not mistaken, Friday nights after 5 the ROM is free
That is correct. Actually, I think it's after 4:30 or 4, and it's open till 9 or so. You do still have to pay for the special exhibitions, but the rest of the museum is free. They also usually have some sort of concert thing going on in the main lobby.

thom100

TRIBE Member
the Distillery and all its galleries will take a day to walk through.

it has started up with the busking/street entertainment on the weekend again.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Check out Slate, Now or Eye for art stuff.

This Friday, there are two openings. One which is at le Gallery 1183 Dundas west at Ossington. Painting and sculpture.

And one at Spin Gallery which is 1100 Queen. Lots of art, booze and art stars. :)

Art openings are always free and depending on the notoreity, they can be really happening.

As for other free events? I wouldn't chince out. There are lots of things to do that don't cost that much. But free? Good luck. Art openings and the occasional panel discussion at the Rivoli.

Rainbow Cinemas is really cheap.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by thom100
the Distillery and all its galleries will take a day to walk through.

it has started up with the busking/street entertainment on the weekend again.

is this free?

thom100

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
*cough*Get me a show at Piktu*cough*

you konw I don't think you have called it by its real name Pikto.

Once you get that under control, I'll see what I can do about getting you a show.