• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

FREE SUBWAY PARTY - what the hell is this???

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
have ANY of you heard of this? (see email text below)

apparently, these *subway parties* have happened before and at least one of my crackhead friends says she's heard of these parties for years and has always wanted to attend one.

what's the deal?

anyone?

----------------------------------------

Subject: SUBWAY PARTY:::THURS.FEB.12:::7:30AM

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:28:56 -0500

CALLING ALL OPEN MINDS AND HEARTS.

CALLING ALL THOSE WILLING TO BE SILLY FOR PEACE AND FRIENDLY FOR FUN!

yaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!

the subway party is happening!!!!!!

here are the most important details.

get your costumes, instruments, friends and excuses to talk to strangers ready because there will be a fabulous RUSH-HOUR SUBWAY PARTY!!!!!

when?

The Morning of Thursday February 12th at 7:30 AM sharp!

(yes it's very early so get some rest or stay up all night the night before)

*If you don't think you can wake up on your own set up a phone tree with friends....you don't want miss all the fun do you?

*the party is scheduled this early because there has been great success at previous parties which have been this early.

Everybody on the train loves the party because they are all on the way to work or on the way home from their night shift and they need some cheering up. most of us aren't morning people..but this is worth it.

where?

The north end of the platform at Downsview Station...once you get there just look for the other freaks.

what?

picture this.....

A normal early morning on the subway car. Suddenly people start to decorate the train with streamers and balloons and home-made art. People on the train exchange strange glances. Next stop - a drummer and other musicians get on the train and start to play music. More strange looks. Next stop, a giant fish and people in other silly costumes get on the train and start dancing, inviting others to join in. The cold mood of the train melts into a wonderful and unexpected celebration!!!!! hoooray it's a subway party!!!!

a subway party is a great way to start your day and it's the ultimate cure for the February Blahs...... you can dance, laugh, dress up, play instruments, make art, talk to strangers and participate in spontaneous acts of creativity and kindness. if you think of something you'd like to see at the subway party...bring it on!

*Another good trick to do is to dress up like an every day subway rider (you could wear a business suit, a school uniform, whatever). Sit and stare in awe as the party begins, but when someone asks you to dance, let your hair down, loosen your tie and get down! Other people on the train will be inspired by your liberation and they may join in on the grooviness.

how long will be party?

The party usually lasts between 1.5-2hrs. That is enough time to ride the U-line. Usually about a 1.5 hrs into the party, the TTC security catches up with us and asks us kindly (and with obvious regret) to shut down the party.

At that point we are usually up north at the other end of the U and ride back downtown together. There is always the option of getting on to the Bloor line for a bit more partying, but it's also nice (for those who don't have to leave for work, school or other commitments) to go get some cheap breakfast together.

why?

because nobody talks to each other on the subway let alone look each other in the eye!

because on a cold thursday morning nobody expects a celebration and that is likely just when we all need one!

because subway parties are a great way to overcome apathy, loneliness and bitterness among other nastiness!

because subway parties are the ultimate cure for the February Blahs and other winter induced syndromes!

because the subway is a great alternative to smog producing cars!

because you'll never feel the same on the subway after you've been to a subway party!

because it's an idea that has been capturing peoples imagination and you can help to make it happen!

because people you'll never forget the look on peoples faces when the streamers and balloons go up and the party starts.

because it's boring to have your fun packaged, sold and served to you in a nice tidy little package.

because there is no better way to start your day than to dance with a stranger on the subway!

because you could make someones day!

because it's a great (and cheap) way to have fun!

SOOOOOOO.....

start planning now. get your party gear together and figure out how you can wake up early enough to get to the party.

(for those of you who can't make it to the party....hopefully you can make it next time).

Please RSVP, especially if YOU CAN BRING A DRUM TO PLAY!

Thursday FEB 12th @ 7:3O AM DOWNSVIEW STATION

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY!!!!!!!

rsvp carly@intrinsik.net

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Message to all attending: Need ride from south end, willing to ride in a compact car full of fun fur laden e-tards while listening to a "jungle" cassette.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
yup, there was one last year that i know of. apparently all the oblivious passengers were like, checking their watches and stuff, to see what the date was, thinking they had forgotten about something important.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
That's really cool but I hope no one busts it because of this. I love knowing that this shit goes on.

A friend and me have been planning one for 10 years! Haha. I'm still going to do it for sure. One day.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
yup, there was one last year that i know of. apparently all the oblivious passengers were like, checking their watches and stuff, to see what the date was, thinking they had forgotten about something important.

hahaha

that's hilarious

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
That's really cool but I hope no one busts it because of this. I love knowing that this shit goes on.

A friend and me have been planning one for 10 years! Haha. I'm still going to do it for sure. One day.
huh?

you hope no one busts WHAT?

you and your friend have been planning WHAT for 10 years? a subway party?

(none of you are making any sense.)

IgStar

TRIBE Member
reminds me kinda of the shit Michael Alig would pull back in the day...spontaneous parties in weird places. Except, I see no mention of BYOH, BYOK, BYOE

bring your own heroin, k or ecstasy
:)

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
and???

come on, squirrely robin, what did you hear about it?
um....that it was a party? on the train? and that it was kind of lame, that it was just a bunch of people with noisemakers and shit. on the train.

but hey, could be fun?

*busts out beads and whistle*

squirrely

TRIBE Member
will, what you are doing here is like pulling teeth. trying to get blood from a stone. beating a dead horse and then humping its deader cousin.

oh, and i tried to PM you yesterday. i guess i'll never learn...

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
do u any of u ride the subway at 7:30??

everyone is fuckin MISERABLE!

when i used to get on at Finch, people used to kill for seats. Or even the standing room by the doors.

My guess - egalitarian-natured ravers and the adult working class will not clash well.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
just a bunch of people with noisemakers and shit. on the train.
were these rave-kids? hippies? grown-ups with no social skills? or relatively normal whacky fun people?

ps. i didn't know my inbox was full because i never check my hotmail account and that's where the tribe-warnings go. sorry.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
huh?

you hope no one busts WHAT?

you and your friend have been planning WHAT for 10 years? a subway party?

(none of you are making any sense.)
Bust the subway party because of this thread, yes. Because if too many people know about it and stuff, people show up, cause shit and things get busted.

And yes, we have been wanting to do a subway party for years. A la the Clubkids.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
so it's ravers organizing this party? like are people on the train supposed to think they've been partying all night and then just brought it to the train? i bet it goes over like a wet blanket - especially at rush hour.

honestly, i'm pretty good natured and a nice person and i like to party, but leave me alone at 7:30 on my way to work. this would - at best - raise a smile outta me in my sleepy i-gotta-go-to-work-an-i-don-wanna state. More likely it would just irritate me out of my zoned stare (out the window) for a moment and then I'd be back to ignoring the rest of the subway world until I got to work.

i know, bleak sounding. but i prefer to be left alone at that time of day on the subway. i'm not miserable, it's not a depressing thing to me - just want to be alone with my thoughts. there are enough people getting in my space, touching me with their bodies or bags or whatever to make me crazy already. oh great, let's have a party.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
were these rave-kids? hippies? grown-ups with no social skills? or relatively normal whacky fun people?

ps. i didn't know my inbox was full because i never check my hotmail account and that's where the tribe-warnings go. sorry.

my educated guess = rave kids/normal whacky fun people.

p.s. not a big deal. i should probably just call you, eh?

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
having said all that
i have heard people singing on a train before on my way home from work (when i'm usually just as stand offish as the next person) and i liked it ... and when all those people were in town for the papal visit and were cramming the trains and singing and stuff, i liked that too

so maybe it would bring me out of my morning stupor and i'd enjoy it. but i'm pretty sure i would not get up and participate.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
i think i could handle it in the morning. on my way home, however, LOOK OUT. i can be pretty beastly.
I'm the other way.
Noise & hooplah in the morning?
I kill you.

On the way home I may just get annoyed & turn up my mp3 player.

In fact, I've decided I hate these parties already.