1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Free Amber Alert via cellphone

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by NemIsis, May 26, 2010.

1. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

CBC News - Technology & Science - Wireless Amber Alert system unveiled

Smart idea.

2. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

you shouldnt have to sign up, you should just get em whether you want them or not. for free obviously. should be part of the 911 charge.

3. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

They are free :)

Already signed up.

4. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Excuse me? I don't need any text messages from anyone I didn't ask for.

5. Mephisto

Mephisto TRIBE Member

call me back when there is an "amber lamps alert" app

6. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

when its your kid thats been abducted you will think differently.
    it aint gonna kill you to open a free text about a missing kid is it?

that being said, I didnt sign up :p
    I wouldnt object to just getting em, but I aint signing up for shit, next thing you know I will be getting spam from god knows where.

7. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

I don't have any kids and if I did and they were abducted, I'd send a thank you note express post for taking the heathens off my hands!

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

9. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Actually, that was my first thought: That some ppl wouldn't want them.

I think it's a great idea especially as the first few hours are the most important. Personally I do agree that everyone should get them automatically.

10. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

ummm don't forget it's against the law to check your text messages while driving.

11. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

huh?? How does that even relate?

Highways have the amber alerts. If someone has the child in the car, you probably wouldn't know. Check your cell phone when you get out of the car.

It's more for the instances where you happen to be taking a stroll/going to the store/watering your garden, and see a "women in a white coat with a young girl who seem to be chatting merrily". It's not rocket science. Although it seems to be for some.

12. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Maybe I'm confused. I thought the alerts tell you to look out for a type of car that is suspected of stealing a child. So you keep your eyes open for the description of the car/driver/passengers and call if you see said car.

It's kind of humorous to me that they are outlawing technology in the car except when it suits their needs.

13. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

^you're the same douche hat who thinks bryant should swing arent you, now you're in here saying fuck an amber alert text

stunning

14. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

I have no problem with amber alerts. I will probably sign up for that. I text while I drive anyway.

But it should be choice just like signing your donor cards. I don't want unknown/unwanted texts popping up at who knows what time without my authorization is all I'm saying.

15. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

fuck i thought you were joking and just being a douche for fun. apparantly not.

amber alerts are to alert people that a child is missing. and provides us with ANY details about the situtation, not just what car the person was driving.
    If you use your cell phone to call 911 to tell them you are following a car with the license plate of a fucking amber alert, and a cop pulls you over, I think hes gonna let you off when you tell him "dude thats the amber alert car right in front of me, im on the phone with the cops" :rolleyes:

16. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

yes.
    an automobile isn't always involved.

17. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Hey that's the second time I've been called a douche today. I'm really not a douche. At least you didn't use the "bag" so it's not as hurtful. :)

But really now, all I can see is one of these amber alerts going out and thousands of driver's all over the GTA simultaneously looking down and reaching for their cell phones to see whats up. That is a recipe for disaster is you ask me.

18. basketballjones

^ yes, unlike the ppl who are already using their phones while driving, maybe that was what spooked bryant, a text!

19. derek

derek TRIBE Member

lol....cell phone companies already text useless crap to their clients all the time. while your driving too.

20. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Yeah, it was Tiger Woods telling him the bad news with the aids test. ;)

21. basketballjones

22. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

I know, that's what got me riled up in the first place. I hate it when they do that. I only asked my provider for one text in case my account is overdue and will be cut off.

23. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Wtf happened here? :O

24. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I'm going to PM you all the amber alerts. :p

25. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I'm going to name my kid "Drink Pepsi" and then have them abducted. Guerrilla marketing at its finest.