• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Frank Sinatra

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
The myth...the man...the legend? :D

Good old soulful Frank. The most amazing voice I think I've ever heard. FBI directory on him. Associate of the Mafia. Cocaine-friendly. Passionate love affair with Ava Gardener.

Anyone else a big fan of Frank?
Or do you hate him?
Favourite songs?

And was he REALLY part of the Mafia or not?

"Start spreading the news....I'm leaving today....I want to be a part of it, New York, New York. These vagabond shoes....are longing to stray, right through the very heart of it....New York...New York...I want to wake up in a city that doesn't sleep...And find I'm king of the hill...Top of the heap! These little town blues...are melting away...I'll make a brand new start of it...In old New York. If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere. It's up to you...New York...New York"

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I will now drop the needle on......................
Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie & The Orchestra
Arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones

Love my house and progressive, but there's nothing better than sitting down by myself on a rainy night, pouring a HUGE cocktail, and listening to old Frank on vinyl.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I've always hated his voice. I can't stand his voice actually.

Now Bobby Darin, THAT'S a man with some fire in his throat.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
"Strangers in the niiiiiiiiiight, exchanging glances...:

Hearts floating over your head
Legs feelin like jello

Oh boy. Here it comes.;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
From the FBI homepage: Frank Sinatra
2,403 pages

Miscellaneous material reporting that Sinatra socialized with organized crime figures, an allegation (disproved) that he bribed a doctor to obtain a 4-F Selective Service classification, and a record of an arrest in Hackensack, New Jersey for charges of "seduction and adultery".

http://foia.fbi.gov/sinatra.htm

Frank Sinatra regularly denied Mafia links, but the reports of mob ties dogged him throughout his career.

He was linked with the top bosses like Lucky Luciano, Al Capone's cousin Joseph Fishetti and Carlo Gambino.

According to various reports, Sinatra introduced John Kennedy to a call girl who allegedly had affairs with both the US President and Chicago mob figure Sam Giancana.

Sinatra's career decline and stunning resurgence are said to have served as the basis for Johnny Fontane in The Godfather (1972), whose floundering career is resurrected by Mafia muscle.
......(continued)

http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/special_report/1998/05/98/sinatra/newsid_94000/94360.stm

Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner

Ava Gardner & Frank Sinatra

Claim to Fame: "We were always great in bed," Ava Gardner smirked about her marriage to Frank Sinatra. "The trouble usually started on the way to the bidet." Stormy didn't begin to describe this relationship; only Taylor and Burton, a decade later, could match the epic proportions of their fervor--and their fights.

Why They Matter: Sex symbol Gardner was a 26-year-old, twice-married (to Mickey Rooney and Artie Shaw) sharecropper's daughter from North Carolina. Bobby-soxer idol Sinatra was a 33-year-old married father of three. When they met in 1948, sparks flew. By the time they married three years later, they were a full-blown bonfire. Equally volatile, hot-tempered and passionate, Frank and Ava split in 1953 (although they didn't divorce until 1957).

Postscript: Sinatra, who reportedly attempted suicide after one of his blowout battles with Ava, remarried--first to Mia Farrow, then to Barbara Marx (Zeppo's former wife). Gardner moved to London and took up with a succession of bullfighters and playboys, but never again found a soul mate. She died in 1990, Sinatra in 1998.

Love Note: For years after their split, Sinatra kept a picture of Gardner taped to his mirror.

kurtz

TRIBE Member
I have this great CD of the rat pack live at the sands. Frank, sammy and dean are drinking and joking around in between songs. Frank says this one to Sammy:

'Sammy walks onto a bus and the driver says, 'Get in the back of the bus.'
Sammy replies, 'I'm not colored, I'm Jewish'
So the Bus driver says, 'Get off the bus!' :D

Dean has to be the smoothest of the three, but they do work well as the Pack.
peace.