• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Foundry gigs

praktik

TRIBE Member
well ya but when you talk like that to vinyl collectors its just as much a push towards fragmentation as it is when a vinyl purist claims the "genuine" label - that way is bad, do it this way instead

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

alison87

TRIBE Member
Hey i know people love it, i've got friends with all the Universal Indicators and Analords and whatever other collectible shit. Some of my favorite mixes are by a buddy of mine with walls and walls of classic acid and techno that he bought back in the day, and he's never going to make the switch. It's cool, they're hobbyists, everyone's got a "thing" and theirs is vinyl, i got no problem with that at all. What i don't like is professional touring DJs who insist on playing poor quality music for no particular reason, or record labels that deliberately make their music hard to get out of some misguided attempt to be more underground or something. Of course they have every right to do it, and i'm not gonna boycott a party because of it, i just don't think it helps the scene.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm with alison to a point. Records have a nostalgic purpose and nothing more at this point. Seeing and hearing the original pressing in a small joint is one thing, but attempting to play all vinyl sets on big rigs that aren't set up or tuned for wax is another. A lot of European clubs still have a lot of vinyl only DJs and they're better setup/prepared, but here, it's just too fringe a practice to be regularly accommodated. That said, a year or so ago I heard an entire Mr. Scruff set at Wrongbar where he tuned the system during the day and played from open to close showcasing a bunch of 45s as well as 10" plates and 12" vinyl and it all sounded amazing together.

J e l o

TRIBE Member
Wish i had rocked up earlier for Omar S, because i got caught in the unmoving line around 12:30 too. Cops schmops, this is the second Mansion party i've been to with a bit of a shady vibe re line-up/coat-check/lack of water after 2am/etc, but i already bitched about that in the KiNK revew, so on to Omar S.

I've managed to go out to gigs for over 15 years without ever seeing a DJ from Detroit, primarily because the word on the street has always been that they tend to play a lot of classics and have a very mashed-up style, which has never been something i'm interested in. But Omar is one of my bestie's favorites so i tagged along for the first time. His set was exactly what i expected it would be - the kind of thing i would love to hear in my lounge room but fairly uninspiring for me on the dancefloor. Every now and then a track would start with a great jacking beat and then turn out to be some 80s freestyle or house or something. The odd techno track he played tended to either be mellow Detroit lounge style or classics that are kinda over for me. But the nice thing about the venue was being able to go up on the mezzanine and have a bit more space to enjoy the show without getting frustrated on the dancefloor, so that's what i did. Spent about 2-3 hours on the balcony watching the crowd and the light show, dancing to a track here, half a track there, then back to the balcony again. Usually if i can't stay dancing for more than a track at a time i just throw my hands in the air and leave the party, but Saturday i persevered, and at the end of it i felt unexpectedly satisified anyway. I only heard one track i thought was amazing, and because it was tossed in amongst the other stuff it was just a flash of excitement rather than a real climactic moment of the night, but it was nice to hear a bunch of music i wouldn't normally hear at a party.

What wasn't nice was fucking records. They sucked in the 90s when it was the only thing available, they sucked even more in the 2000s when CDJs became the norm, and now it's just a big wank. It's the 21st century, man, i'm listening to music on a pristine sound system (best i've heard in Toronto), and i have to listen to hiss and crackle? Give me a break. And then to add insult to injury, the fucking needle skips all night most likely because promoters don't know how to set up turntables properly any more (and why should they have to?) I get that vinyl is visually appealing. I get that people enjoy the hands-on feel and the sense of owning something physical. That's awesome. Play it in your bedroom. But to me a party is supposed to be a something bigger than that, and the experience shouldn't be marred by antiquated media. The fortunate thing about Omar S was that because of the style he was playing it didn't bother me as much as it would've if i'd actually been really sucked into the dancefloor journey.

All in all it was kind of a nice throwback event. After the first half hour or so when i was getting a bit annoyed at the mish-mash style i kinda settled into what he was doing and enjoyed it for what it was. It made me smile to see a DJ pull out records again, blast through tunes one after the other instead of playing 9 minute tracks and standing around doing nothing for 6 minutes. It was cool to see a great mix of old heads dancing around to their classics and young kids who loved it just as much for their own reasons. And it was a breath of fresh air to see a headline DJ actually get given a decent length set instead of a shitty 1.5 hour block amongst a bunch of other people we could see any other weekend of the year.

Best track was one i don't know that he played right after a loungy Detroit number that had a relentless polyrhythmic synth hit coming in every 3/16ths. No lyrics. No melody. No bullshit. He also played one of his own tracks i can't remember the name of toward the end of the night that was just cool weird sounds (before Claude VonStroke - The Whistler). And whoever was before him who i only caught 10 minutes of seriously kicked ass. Definitely gonna try see them again and catch their whole set.

So yeah, just bitching because that's how i do, at the end of the night i went home with a smile and just as inspired as i was after Peter van Hoesen, albeit in a very different way.
Awesomesauce

zoo

TRIBE Member
Crotchety old dude time:

• Mansion's Foundry is a good thing!
  • I'm glad the Mansion + BNE concept finally took flight.
  • The breakandenter crew literally saved the night from disaster on multiple fronts, none of which I intend to explain in detail. I will comment that I saw the BNE crew literally throwing their bodies into harms way, as well as attending to the shifting moods of the talent, while I didn't see the Mansion crew much at all.
  • The sound system was great, and I was lucky to experience it a few weeks prior for the Mansion Jacques Greene / Nautiluss event, also at the same space, with largely the same light/decor setup.
  • Regarding vinyl: I was told that the tables were very carefully set up to minimize skips, but I very clearly saw that it was a combination of bad needles and a very disruptive crowd (banging into the table repeatedly, even after being told not to do so) that were responsible for the skips.
  • Watching Omar-S literally turn the music off and sit down after numerous bumps/skips in a few seconds was hillarious, but made me think similar thoughts to Spinsah and alison regarding the use of vinyl in today's clubs. And it really doesn't say anything good for Omar-S.
  • On the other hand, I totally agree with praktik that Prosumer and Move D (both all vinyl sets) were two of my favourite events in recent history, and the Prosumer event had plenty of skipping records. Nobody complained, and the DJ never stopped.
  • Mansion brings a very fun and diverse crowd, which is a good thing. The Mansion / Other Promoter hybrid needs to continue; it's awesome watching worlds collide.
  • I admit that I left somewhat unsatisfied by the event. Nobody's fault but my own, I just didn't feel Omar's set. I regret missing Martin Fazekas and Reference, but them's the breaks I guess.
  • I am however totally satisfied with the fact that we have a very healthy community of promoters, performers, and audiences in this city supporting this type of music. Makes me all teary eyed.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
A question for people who have been to any of the previous Foundry events. I am going to Stott - bought web tickets, to be picked up at will call. If I show up at 12:30 or 1 a.m., am I screwed?

If so, if I pick them up right at 10, then leave and come back at 1ish, will they let ticket holders in right away, even is there is a big line?

Just trying to plan my night. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
A question for people who have been to any of the previous Foundry events. I am going to Stott - bought web tickets, to be picked up at will call. If I show up at 12:30 or 1 a.m., am I screwed?

If so, if I pick them up right at 10, then leave and come back at 1ish, will they let ticket holders in right away, even is there is a big line?
Will call is just your name on a list, not an actual physical ticket. I'd still show up not much later than 12 to ensure a speedy entry, especially since Stott is ready to sell out and the issues with the Cops last week. Showing up at 12:30 -1:00 is just asking for trouble.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Crotchety old dude time:

• The breakandenter crew literally saved the night from disaster on multiple fronts, none of which I intend to explain in detail. I will comment that I saw the BNE crew literally throwing their bodies into harms way, as well as attending to the shifting moods of the talent, while I didn't see the Mansion crew much at all.
  • On the other hand, I totally agree with praktik that Prosumer and Move D (both all vinyl sets) were two of my favourite events in recent history, and the Prosumer event had plenty of skipping records. Nobody complained, and the DJ never stopped.

There were only a few skips @ Prosumer, barely noticed - situation was made better because Surfer Joe, tribe's very own!, rushed home and back w/ these teacup things that you wrap rubber bands over - then you put the TT on four of em and there's like a little MacGuyver suspension setup for you!

Maybe Omar needed some MacGuyver..;)

And yes, let us all bow down to B+E who put some soul into their nights! BIG UPZ!!

octo

TRIBE Member
i've been biting my tongue a lot this past year with respect to Mansion

quite a few almost posts. including this thread.

they get props for building a following with new blood, but sometimes i just want to slap them.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
I heard that coat check was again a shit show on Saturday for Andy Stott. Honestly people, how hard is it to put stuff in numerical order and be able to find it after?

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Andy Stott was great. Slow techno does translate into a club setting, I guess. I was really into it. He even played one very dirty acid track, and then some drum and bass at the end.

Coat check was a disaster. I went to try and beat the line as I'd heard about previous issues, and even with just 20 people in it they had one girl back there who was completely lost, using her phone as a flashlight. It was taking her 5 to 10 minutes - PER JACKET. People were hopping the table and then trying to find their own coats, which is crazy. It took me about 40 minutes to get our coats, and that was while Andy Stott was still playing. I fully expected there might be a coat check riot later but we left...

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Coat check was a disaster. I went to try and beat the line as I'd heard about previous issues, and even with just 20 people in it they had one girl back there who was completely lost, using her phone as a flashlight. It was taking her 5 to 10 minutes - PER JACKET. People were hoping the table and then trying to find their own coats, which is crazy. It took me about 40 minutes to get our coats, and that was while Andy Stott was still playing. I fully expected there might be a coat check riot later but we left...

sounds exactly like the Omar S night. you'd think they'd iron out the coat check issues after the first time, but no! must be too advanced to understand. ;-)

JAR

TRIBE Member
It's great to see such a passionate online (message board!) debate about a recent event. I've yet to check out a Mansion or Foundry jam, but love that they're getting the old fogies arguing on Tribe about vinyl vs. digital.

Hopefully they listen to the constructive criticism about event logistics, because it sounds like they're on their way to doing big things. At the very least, it keeps the old guard on their toes, reminds us why we started doing this in the first place, and makes us strive to keep with the young bucks.

Looking forward to sharing some dancefloor moments with this summer!

JR

erika

TRIBE Member
I wonder if it's also something about the space: I've been to Mansion gigs where the coat check was fine. Yet I remember going to an Alix Alvarez afterhours in that space 5 or 6 years ago where coatcheck was a complete shitshow

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
coat check was a fucking well organized machine at martyn. i waited less than a minute! what a refreshing change from omar-s. it was in a different, well-lit location, so maybe that made a difference? also, we went in the main entrance this time (perhaps they had to do the side entrance on the omar-s night because the promise party was that same night).

i didn't even want to go out but i had fun. i got to hear "i feel love". and there were lasers. booya.

what's up with that corner bar thing on the main level of the building? is that new? i had never seen it before.

desklight

TRIBE Member
Went to Martyn on Saturday night.

Coat check went without a hitch at beginning and end of night. $7 for a tall can of Sapporo, that is not bad at all!

The basement space in Great Hall is really great and the soundproofing was surprising. The lightshow was simple but pretty trippy. Bathrooms were nowhere big enough and absolutely nasty though

The Funktion 1 soundsystem or whatever is AMAZING. Can't believe it sounded so crisp, and you could actually have a conversation over the music. It was super loud but never actually distorted or painful. It was blowing my mind. We took a few minutes to dance in front of the stack... they look so tall and futuristic... and at that moment someone dropped Pearson Sound 'Working With' baconpan

Very little 'bass' music was dropped all night. It was all deep jacking tech house and techno.

Kevin McPhee and Nautilus took turns playing little sets. I heard Kingdom 'Fuckin Jaker', Washerman 'Basement Chord', Kevin McPhee played his new single for the 3024 compilation....

Martyn played I Feel Love. Can't really remember what else he played except it all great... IIRC he was spinning with a laptop. The night was a blast

We left at 3, but friend said the night went on another hour?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Hopefully they listen to the constructive criticism about event logistics, because it sounds like they're on their way to doing big things
It's awesome how they are working with old guard promoters too and learning from each other. It would appear with how well the Foundry series and the events leading up to it this year that Mansion has arrived and with them a new era of events in Toronto. The quality of the bookings is forward looking (Martyn), hip (Bicep), challenging (Stott) and still has a foot in the best of the past (Atkins, Omar S). I haven't experienced nights like this in Toronto, and I would say the closest comparison in terms of vision and quality are the I Love Neon parties from the mid 2000's and the Piknic Electonique series, both in Monteral. It's still no Mutek, but then again what is?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Good read! I dig XI's quote to close it:

Talking about the event, he said, "Lots of people here are wondering why they haven't been going to parties like this for years."

That's just it. So many of us are tired of places like FW and more traditional 'clubs/lounges' or the the same old tired after hours locations and tired clientèle that populate it. Foundry has done wonders for finding the balance between underground and legitimate, young and old, produced and raw.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Had a faaaaaaaaaaantastic time @ Bicep this weekend.

Great room, pretty solid soundsystem (would be nice to have sound at the back to "complete" the room, but hey, pretty damn good otherwise). And there were plenty of tall, attractive girls dancin' about to add to the atmosphere.

Well done.