• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Found a way to access USA version of Netflix!

the wiz

TRIBE Member
Holy crap.....my buddy was not joking when he told me that the Canadian Netflix sucks compared to the USA version. There are a few ways to get the USA version. If you are already a subscriber to the Canadian Netflix....it will be no problem.

These are the ways I was shown:

1. Google a site called "proXPN.com" and get set-up with the free version of their proxy server. Then access Netflix through their proxy server so your IP address is hidden, and Canadian Netflix cannot tell where you are logging-on from, so then you can get all the American content that the CRTC would otherwise be blocking us from viewing.

2. ( this way is easier )---go to a site called "blockless" and give your email address to receive their free 7-day trial which essentially does the same thing as proXPN......just follow their prompts and put the numbers in your computer where they tell you-----------and PRESTO! You suddenly have access to way better movies and TV shows.

I'm currently watching this British series called "Downton Abbey"-------my God, is it ever great.......

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
or install this in your chrome, Firefox or install on windows and mac.

Hola Better Internet

its free, no need to fuck about with your proxy etc, and its just a basic add on, or install on your comp.

this will not work if you use your Xbox360, PS3, or some other media streaming to access these sites, but it will allow you to also acces, Hulu, all the dumb US radio stations, and a bunch of other shit i dont use that is only accessible in the states.

YOU"RE WELCOME !

*bows*

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Been using Hola since it was mentioned in the other thread.. works great in Chrome and on my Android phone. Unblock-Us still wins when you need to us a hardware device that is not supported by Hola.

Might move away from Netflix altogether and use strictly usenet, torrents, Sickbeard and Couch Potato.

Jay

Edit: P.S - Thanks! Also, you can make your own scripts for Hola that will unblock other sites, but I have not tried this out yet.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
this ^

watching anything in a browser on a big TV sucks. unblock-us lets me use the ps3, which is hands down the best experience ive seen yet for netflix.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I'm currently using Netflix on an old Wii in the bedroom, will likely be switching to a wifi blu-ray soon - is there a way to use this type of software on these devices?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm currently using Netflix on an old Wii in the bedroom, will likely be switching to a wifi blu-ray soon - is there a way to use this type of software on these devices?
Get a decent dedicated media box. Optical media is 2000 and late, son, and the network add-ons that come with this type of hardware is almost always half-baked.

I'm living optical media and cable free and enjoying tons of great media, through Netflix using Unblock US. With it, I also have NHL Gamecentre which is a great way to enjoy every game in HD with all sorts of added functionality. I'll be doing the same with MLB.TV.

SJN

TRIBE Member
What i love about unblock-us, besides simplicity, is the ability to switch your country - it doesn't just work for US, it works for other countries too.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
or install this in your chrome, Firefox or install on windows and mac.

Hola Better Internet

its free, no need to fuck about with your proxy etc, and its just a basic add on, or install on your comp.

this will not work if you use your Xbox360, PS3, or some other media streaming to access these sites, but it will allow you to also acces, Hulu, all the dumb US radio stations, and a bunch of other shit i dont use that is only accessible in the states.

YOU"RE WELCOME !

*bows*
THANK YOU! Awesome, works like a charm :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
this ^

watching anything in a browser on a big TV sucks. unblock-us lets me use the ps3, which is hands down the best experience ive seen yet for netflix.
i watch shit in 1080p on my 46 inch TV and its high def on my screen via browser. compared it to when i had a PS3, cant see the difference.
dont know what world you are in where it sucks but thats too bad.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Get a decent dedicated media box. Optical media is 2000 and late, son, and the network add-ons that come with this type of hardware is almost always half-baked.

I'm living optical media and cable free and enjoying tons of great media, through Netflix using Unblock US. With it, I also have NHL Gamecentre which is a great way to enjoy every game in HD with all sorts of added functionality. I'll be doing the same with MLB.TV.
well...unless you want it to like...look/sound good. i love farting around on netflix but if there is a serious film you want to enjoy nothing beats 50GB of data on a BD and 7.1 uncompressed sound.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I grab movies of that size all the time and run them off an external hooked into my Boxee with 5.1 sound out the optical. Granted, I do believe there is an issue with 7.1, but I don't have a rig that supports that anyway, so it's a non-issue for me. I agree that certain films should not be enjoyed in the compressed form Netflix offers. Similarly, I'll watch sporting events uncompressed OTA when they are offered, and it's a step up from paid streaming services. To most people though, the difference is hard to spot.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Another vote for UnblockUS. Been using their service for 2 years straight and I would say it's hands down the easiest solution if you have multiple devices in your home. We use laptops, desktops, PS3, iPads, iPhones, iPod, Nexus 7 tablet and Nexus 4 phone to view Netflix in one fashion or another and being able to just have your firewall/router hand out the dns information is soooo easy.

And to echo what SJN stated, with this service, you can switch your Netflix region via their website so that your CDN login credentials gets you into the US, UK, Brazil or whatever other region they have.

glych, I think what videotronic is getting at is that while you can get some of that content for free via streaming sites on your browser, it's not always going to be in 720p or 1080p resolution. Yes your desktop resolution is 1080p but that doesn't mean that what you're streaming is 1080p. Of course there's content out there in that format but I'm guessing that most of these free sites don't offer it in that format. At least it was like that for me when I streamed Big Bang Theory last year. Shitty quality on my 55" plasma but passable to get the gist of the show.

Lobo

kuba

TRIBE Member
does unblockus work on mac?

i got hidemyass but each time it tries to connect to a server in the US it times out

every
single
fucking
time

lobo

TRIBE Member
I grab movies of that size all the time and run them off an external hooked into my Boxee with 5.1 sound out the optical. Granted, I do believe there is an issue with 7.1, but I don't have a rig that supports that anyway, so it's a non-issue for me. I agree that certain films should not be enjoyed in the compressed form Netflix offers. Similarly, I'll watch sporting events uncompressed OTA when they are offered, and it's a step up from paid streaming services. To most people though, the difference is hard to spot.
Netflix has started offering some of their movies with their SuperHD format which rivals some bluray titles. You gotta have something like a 10Mbps internet connection minimum but I've watched a few and it looks jawsome. :)

Lobo

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Recent evidence suggests, that even in uncompressed 1080P definition, the Big Bang Theory is still an intergalactic televisual turd.

lobo

TRIBE Member
does unblockus work on mac?

i got hidemyass but each time it tries to connect to a server in the US it times out

every
single
fucking
time
Yes. You're just using different DNS IP addresses than what you currently use.

Lobo

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
A

glych, I think what videotronic is getting at is that while you can get some of that content for free via streaming sites on your browser, it's not always going to be in 720p or 1080p resolution. Yes your desktop resolution is 1080p but that doesn't mean that what you're streaming is 1080p. Of course there's content out there in that format but I'm guessing that most of these free sites don't offer it in that format. At least it was like that for me when I streamed Big Bang Theory last year. Shitty quality on my 55" plasma but passable to get the gist of the show.

Lobo

oh i completely agree and am aware alot of free sites dont offer proper resolution video, but when watching Netflix off my PS3 when i had it vs in broswer on my comp, its REALLY hard to see a difference if there is any when watching.

and most of the time, when im watching 720p vs 1080p , or BR rips, im quite happy with all three, yes the sound quality on larger files sizes is better and comes across alot more full spectrum, but unless you have a system that supports that you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.

for the average user that has a comp hooked up to their TV, if you are playing shit through Netflix, and have an average 2.1-5.1 sound system, the difference is negligible IMO.

the wiz

TRIBE Member
Awesome!

It seems like there are tons of ways to expand your viewing horizons :)

Thanks for all the extra tips everyone.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
you just laughed at a Seinfeld joke mere minutes after stating anything with a laugh track "fucking sucks"