• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Forums at work

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Do any of you use a forum, kind of one like tribe uses (UBB?) at work? TO manage lots of open discussion/projects across work groups that might be in different offices/countries?

My current company has workgroups in a variety of countries and time zones on each continent working on the same, but geographically distributed, projects. Using the phone is impossible due to time zone/language differences. Email is cumbersome, because it leads to massive CC lists in an attempt to include all affected (and potentially affected) managers, engineers, and other staff.

Currently, a pseudo-paper based system is used. This is cumbersome, dated, and timeconsuming, but seriously it is the best that has been available so far given the circumstances.

While this system has been working well so far, it is not further scalable and with more offices opening on each continent and more workgroups in each office, we really need to come up with a new system to keep everyone affected on the same page.

I was thinking of something like a forum, kind of like tribe, where people can subscribe to projects to which they are related, or, on ad-hoc basis, check projects to which they are not related should the need arise. This creates a central, (internally)public database of communications where communications and related documents can be easily shared and back referenced, from any location and minimizing language difficulties.

Does anyone else's workplace use such a system? What kinds of software packages are popular for this? What kinds of problems or benefits has your workplace encountered?

Also, other than google language tools, what is the CLOSEST THING TO THE BABBLEFISH!!>>>????

-jM
A&D

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

octo

TRIBE Member
there is software designed for what you are talking about. i don't remember what it's called but i used something like it once. you go online and log into the system. from there you can check progress on projects, add modifications, leave input yadda yadda.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:
I was thinking of something like a forum, kind of like tribe, where people can subscribe to projects to which they are related, or, on ad-hoc basis, check projects to which they are not related should the need arise. This creates a central, (internally)public database of communications where communications and related documents can be easily shared and back referenced, from any location and minimizing language difficulties.

i think that sounds like a great idea!

i've seen systems that work from custom QA applications. communication sprouts from individual issues.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
there are a number of software options that might be able to solve some of what you're talking about. At my workplace we've been looking at workflow/records management solutions, and a lot of what we seen might be applicable to your situation. Are you a Microsoft shop? Look at Captaris, Sharepoint with Corasworks, and K2. (caveat: the last I didn't see myself.)

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Those suggestions look like they are on the right path...

I'm not sure how robust those examples would be. . Any system we use would have to host a large amount of data files as well. Moreover, these files are usually sensitive designs of third party equipment; absolutely not the kind of stuff you would just post onto some web companies servers.

I'm thinking something that I could install on a dedicated server. Some kind of database back end that could be tweaked when required and a tweakable front end GUI.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Old Yeller said:
i would suggest emailing 37Signals and talking with them, as they created all of the above suggestions :cool:

I was gonna say... those above examples looked like all the same thing, just different names....

-jM
A&D

Old Yeller

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:
I was gonna say... those above examples looked like all the same thing, just different names....

-jM
A&D

my sentiments exactly LOL They seem to be selling lots of each tho, so i guess there must be something different between them ch33se

zoo

TRIBE Member
I used the very simple PHP-BB for a school/group/consulting project that involved alot of research and required efficient group co-ordination. It worked out very well; saved our E-mail inboxes from becoming overloaded, and allowed us to easily see who was making useful contributions and who wasn't. It's an easy system to setup, and is reasonably private/secure if you want it to be.

We also used a private FTP server for sharing files, but I'm sure there is a way to integrate file-sharing on phpbb.