• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fort McMurray Wildfire

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Yeah but the earth didn't have people trying to burn the forests down relentlessly. I don't actually think it was Mother Nature, I'm not crazy, that was a joke.

It was either;

a) A fire fighter looking for work,

b) One of the many thousands of laid off people who can't keep up the payments on their overpriced houses, and they already sold the cottage, the skidoos, and the jacked up trucks and so are out of options now except the old as time insurance fraud of burning your house down.

c) A littering smoker.

d) An environmentalist who has just had enough and decided fuck it.

e) Lightning

Fires set by firefighters a long-standing problem, experts say - Edmonton - CBC News
Do you really think humans exist outside of nature?

praktik

TRIBE Member
What things? You don't need to take a plane to Cape Breton to escape the fire. Or has your liberal heart bled so much? :)
Natural disasters. Laws exist so people don't start charging $20 for a litre of water

Unsure how they would apply to airfares, if at all. But it's still a huge risk either way to gouge, PR risk is huge

Maui

TRIBE Member
Two wrongs don't make a right! Have you heard the one about glass houses?
No but I didn't make the first wrong of moving to Fort Mac. And that's despite heavy lobbying by friends with the promise of a hundred grand a year. Nope, no thanks, don't wish to live with redneck racist douchetards. Nope, don't wish to work at raping the earth.

Anyway, I kind of wish I'd been there for this excitement. My favourite times were the Toronto Blackout and the 1998 ice storm where they shut down University for an entire week. Those were fun times.

Everybody out there will come together, sing coombya and make lots of babies. Insurance will build them nicer houses, and new boats and 5 grand barbecues. The boys will gather for some brews until someone beats their wife, they'll share some jokes about the mexican farmer who drown in the cow shit pond and life will be back to normal soon enough. I have little sympathy for anyone crying about losing shit. Possessions are simply that. Possessions. If you are to get upset abut losing them I'd tell you maybe you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
You're a real piece of work, aren't ya ?
No one fathoms having to lose all their shit, and no one really contemplates it until it's happened to you, and then you gain focus on what it does to you, your wife, kids, etc. It's not just shit.
With this fire, there could have been severe loss of life, but thankfully the powers that be put out the mandatory ' get the fuck out of dodge ' statement in time, and they listened.
These people left with next to nothing in their vehicles to save their lives. Coming back to ashes for a home is nothing to joke about.
I kinda also wish you could have been there for this ' excitement '.
FYI...the 98' Ice Storm had 35 fatalities... good times indeed.
Jerk.

Last edited:

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
To add to what ndrwrld said, many of these people had to leave without their dogs, cats, horses and other furry critters... Yes, they matter. Never mind the devastation to wildlife... This is the kind of 'excitement' that no one deserves to deal with, it's horrible and devastating. No amount of insurance will ever compensate for the losses that these people will endure. The entire situation is heart breaking and I see no place for jokes here.

Maui

TRIBE Member
You're a real piece of work, aren't ya ?
No one fathoms having to lose all their shit, and no one really contemplates it until it's happened to you, and then you gain focus on what it does to you, your wife, kids, etc. It's not just shit.
No, see that's where we disagree. It is actually just shit. Over priced, over valued, made of garbage, made by slaves to ensure the over priced part goes into some assholes bank account and not to ensure people can afford to eat every day.

Of course no one fathoms it. They live in an ignorant state of pretend. It's ok that the workers who made my kids computers are paid 5 cents a fucking day, and sucked in enough radiation so that when their life of working and sleeping on a bunk bed in the factory living quarters is played out they can drift off to sleep from the brain tumour. God forbid the little shits can't sit staring at a screen all day everyday because your too fucking lazy to spend time with them. Oh no wait, you have no time because your too busy working to buy them more shit. Gotta pay for that half a mil home made of chipboard and dead workers falling off scaffolds. Gotta put some marble top counters in the kitchen, and a new leather sofa that they just cut down another acre of rain forest to make sure your friends are impressed that you are so successful. See you are crying about a fire. I'm crying at what fools humans have become and how disgusting they are and frankly I await the entire economy and society collapsing with great anxiousness.

P.S.

It can't happen to me, I don't collect expensive useless shit.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
No, see that's where we disagree. It is actually just shit. Over priced, over valued, made of garbage, made by slaves to ensure the over priced part goes into some assholes bank account and not to ensure people can afford to eat every day.

Of course no one fathoms it. They live in an ignorant state of pretend. It's ok that the workers who made my kids computers are paid 5 cents a fucking day, and sucked in enough radiation so that when their life of working and sleeping on a bunk bed in the factory living quarters is played out they can drift off to sleep from the brain tumour. God forbid the little shits can't sit staring at a screen all day everyday because your too fucking lazy to spend time with them. Oh no wait, you have no time because your too busy working to buy them more shit. Gotta pay for that half a mil home made of chipboard and dead workers falling off scaffolds. Gotta put some marble top counters in the kitchen, and a new leather sofa that they just cut down another acre of rain forest to make sure your friends are impressed that you are so successful. See you are crying about a fire. I'm crying at what fools humans have become and how disgusting they are and frankly I await the entire economy and society collapsing with great anxiousness.

P.S.

It can't happen to me, I don't collect expensive useless shit.
okay. i hope your inexpensive computer or laptop blows up in your face, because i'm sick of seeing your shit.
It CAN happen to you. You can lose everything in the blink of an eye, and go homeless waiting for these same Insurance companies to bail your sorry ass out.
Have you ever been truly homeless ?
You think all these people living there are buying tons of shit and working the oil fields. some, yes.
i would venture that more than half of these families now are living at a means where they're paying bills just like you and i, and eeking out a decent living. They're a little freaked out now because of the prices of oil, and layoffs, so they're choking back buying all these fancy toys you seem to think they're rolling in.
Please stop trying to put these Albertans into a mold where they're not taking proper care of their children. Please stop saying everyone involved here are self entitled rednecks...there's fucking recent refugees there from Syria.

Maui

TRIBE Member
To add to what ndrwrld said, many of these people had to leave without their dogs, cats, horses and other furry critters... Yes, they matter. Never mind the devastation to wildlife...
Over 56 billion animals are slaughtered every year needlessly by humans. See, to cry about the drop in the bucket that this fire will represent in animal lives is simply ridiculous when looked at from the grand picture of things.

This is the kind of 'excitement' that no one deserves to deal with, it's horrible and devastating. No amount of insurance will ever compensate for the losses that these people will endure. The entire situation is heart breaking and I see no place for jokes here.
Meh, I find it exciting. But I'm an adventurer I guess.

The road trip these peeps just took, and what they must deal with are the kind of thing I put myself into voluntarily. Getting on buses for days, sleeping on gym floors..eating rice and beans or nothing at all... Except I'm covered in tear gas and my skin is burning non stop for days from fighting the exact companies that these people are going back to.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
do you own an iPhone ? Any Apple products ?
Laptop ? Cell phone ?
The companies you claim to fight against, are the ones that are using children to mine precious minerals used in these, destroying prestine lands.

edit...
which companies do you fight against ?

Last edited:

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I have my own feelings about people (including fellow Newfoundlanders) who go out to Ft. McMurray to make a fortune based on little to no skills - but that's not what this is about.

You can't exactly blame people who work out there - they don't create the need for the product and industry they're working in. We do. We all consume oil, we all use plastics. I would sure love for that to change but for the time being, it's a slow process. So really to blame the people that work out there is a bit of a shortsighted sentiment that lacks empathy for what's going on there right now.

Maui

TRIBE Member
okay. i hope your inexpensive computer or laptop blows up in your face, because i'm sick of seeing your shit.
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black now ain't it, cause I've had to read a whole lot of your fucking crazy for years on here now. lol.

It CAN happen to you. You can lose everything in the blink of an eye, and go homeless waiting for these same Insurance companies to bail your sorry ass out.
Have you ever been truly homeless ?
Yup, some of the best times of my life. All the bullshit is cleared away.

..there's fucking recent refugees there from Syria.
Well nothing says "we know you were feeling homesick" like ravaging fires and chaos right?......

Oh shit, ok I'm going to hell maybe for that one.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
these people most likely lost their homes. homes, trailers, etc.
the cribs for their babies ( 2 so far have been born on the roads out of the fires ).
congrats on your fight against Capitalism Maui...but you're too far off course posting your shit in this thread about people trying to save their own lives fleeing the WORST natural disaster in Alberta history, and worrying that they have absolutely nothing to return to. They're not trying to get home so they can ride their atv's.

Maui

TRIBE Member
I have my own feelings about people (including fellow Newfoundlanders) who go out to Ft. McMurray to make a fortune based on little to no skills - but that's not what this is about.

You can't exactly blame people who work out there - they don't create the need for the product and industry they're working in. We do. We all consume oil, we all use plastics. I would sure love for that to change but for the time being, it's a slow process. So really to blame the people that work out there is a bit of a shortsighted sentiment that lacks empathy for what's going on there right now.
I'm not blaming the people who work there. I understand they are no worse of people than anyone else in the world. Well maybe a little, lets be honest.
I have a lot of friends in Fort Mac, and I have been busting their balls since they moved out there 10 - 15 years ago. I felt bad for them when oil tanked cause that's what gold rushes are and most were too shortsighted to see it.

Anyway I have a long day of planning on how to blow up pipelines, set some wild fires, and other exciting idea's to let flow.

Maui

TRIBE Member
these people most likely lost their homes. homes, trailers, etc.
the cribs for their babies ( 2 so far have been born on the roads out of the fires ).
congrats on your fight against Capitalism Maui...but you're too far off course posting your shit in this thread about people trying to save their own lives fleeing the WORST natural disaster in Alberta history, and worrying that they have absolutely nothing to return to. They're not trying to get home so they can ride their atv's.
Ok, lets break down your message.

1. Homes, homes and trailers are all the same thing....

2. Babies have been born out of the fire! Holy shit that's rad. Seriously though, that will make for a pretty cool fucking story won't it for those babies?

3. I'll post whatever I want in whatever thread I want, how bout them apples? I didn't realize you could only post in the thread if it was an omg we must fight for ours and everyone's lives post.

4. You see, this is why I loved the blackout. It is one of the few times I have ever seen human beings be decent fucking people and come together and help other people. It was overwhelming and possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen. Alberta will get to experience this, and like getting hugs at a cancer support group I would do anything to experience that again.

praktik

TRIBE Member
The thing I dislike about the sheeple analysis of society is the contempt it breeds for your fellow man.

The way Maui talked about people drifting in their lives only to die of a brain tumour in their sleep surrounded by the only thing they care about (possessions) is a comic-book way to understand someone else's life.

You have no idea what these people are feeling, who they love, what causes they support and what value they attach to "things".

But when you get to conceive of other people as existing in a lower-state than you its probably very gratifying to your ego.

Go ahead Maui, enlighten us all.

You're so evolved!

praktik

TRIBE Member

Look at them. So oblivious to all the wonder of nature around them. So blinkered. So brainwashed.

So white and fluffy

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I can't even imagine what all the people are feeling and the range of emotions.

I was in Sedona in 96 when they were experiencing a major forest fire.

That was pretty scary to see the night sky lit up and have ash raining down everywhere. And I would not even compare that or say it's anything close to what the people of Fort Mac are going through.

I could simply check out of the hotel and drive south to Tempe, which we did.

But to see the devestation that close was surreal.

I wish all of the people impacted nothing but good wishes and safe travels.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
The irony about people like Maui is that they are just Sheeple but with a different cause.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
It's not even that people don't have anything to return to.

Imagine being at work and then getting the evacuation notice. You can't go home to get anything (roads are blocked), you can't find your pets; the most you can do is pick up your kid up from a muster point outside of the city if they were in day care and then flee the city with whatever gas in your vehicle, the shirt on your back, and the diaper on your kid's ass.

I'm dedicating Saturday to running around the city picking stuff up from people with a trailer and dropping it off at the Emergency Relief Center.

People think Fort Mac is full of rednecks and oil riggers. There's a lot of them, but there are also schools there, seniors, communities, teenagers working the mcdonald's, etc. It's not just all rig workers.

Edit: What's amazing is that the Syrian refugees in Edmonton are banding together to help out as well. They said that Canada welcomed them so they're just doing their part. Kinda awesome if you ask me.

Last edited: