• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fort McMurray Wildfire

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Off the top of my head, I can't remember when/if a fire has threatened a city this big in Canada in recent memory.

As of yesterday/last night, it seems like it wasn't too threatening and somewhat under control, but over the past 12 hours the winds have picked up and it's already burned through a couple of neighbourhoods.

Full evacuation for the entire city now I believe, hopefully everyone gets out safe!

Stop Bill C-10

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
people live tweeting HELP, flames coming closer.
scary shit.

i'm trying to find a satellite link for a thermal / cloud cover look...

air quality goes from 1 to 10. right now, it's 12 because of the temperatures ( 30 + degrees )

Last edited:

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Talking to a friend from high school who lives there with her husband and kids...she's in the Timberlea area and hasn't evacuated yet.

She wants to drive south on 63, but from all the videos etc I've seen it looks like the fire is jumping across the highway and really dangerous. 880am news out of Edmonton is reporting that people are to drive north on 63

ChkmaSrVEAA0Jlt.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
That's fucked up. Hope everyone is safe. Where do you evacuate 80000 people to?
sounds like the bridge at the Athabasca River @ hwy 63 is the cut off point...anyone south, goes south...anyone north goes north.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
32C and <15% humidity on the third of may in Northern AB!

I burned a 4' high pile of brush in my backyard last weekend and the heat from that was so much I couldn't even get close enough to put more brush on. This must be like a slow motion h-bomb.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Brian Jean, Wildrose Leader, home owner in MacMurray, just lost his home.
He's expecting the worst.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
updates

"There's no more fuel in Fort McMurray and it's being drained as we go south."

18 thousand people are on their way to Edmonton right now.

Wood Buffalo fire chief: Beacons Hill homes have been "lost." Half of Abasand properties lost as well.

DEVELOPING: Official telling us there is no fuel in Fort McMurray OR Wandering River OR Grassland.

RCMP want you to know, if you're stranded without gas, help is coming & they want you to stay where you are to wait for that emerg gas.
--------
there have been no confirmed reports of serious injuries or deaths.
wow. it would seem they gave the notice to evac in time.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Not to make light but I find it a bit odd that people fleeing the fire are being asked to take refuge at oil company facilities.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
It's bonkers. highway 63 is the highway that leads into Fort Mac.

The evacuation caused such havoc that the two northbound lanes going into Fort Mac were turned into Southbound lanes to help with the evac -you can see the southbound lanes on the right of the pic completely backed up.

13164358_10208200972198708_2520605274499571780_n.jpg

acheron

TRIBE Member
"Pray for us" say some people in Fort McMurray, as what is clearly (at least as far as the insurance industry is concerned) an act of God bears down on their city.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
And as people have mentioned, there is virtually nothing north of Fort Mac. Some people tried heading north and were forced to turn around and head south. People that made that decision @ 4PM yesterday are now just halfway to Edmonton after 17 hours of bumper-to-bumper driving.

And then there's this guy (Part of the NDP Lethbridge party) who's probably going to lose his job for being an idiot:
13164444_10156896942920608_827762402733640928_n.jpg

djfear

TRIBE Member
My buddy's up at Fort McKay and all work at Syncrude and around there has stopped, all the permits have been pulled. Everyone who is not from Fort Mac is going to be sent home probably for at least a week if not more since all of the Fire & Rescue teams located in the various camps have been diverted to battle the forest fires, so they're not allowed to work.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Heard 80% of the homes have been destroyed?

Pretty much.

Gregoire: Residences not affected
Beacon Hill: 80 per cent loss of homes
Abasand: Serious loss, south worse than north
Waterways: Serious loss
Draper: Damage under assessment
Saline Creek: Residences not affected
Grayling Terrace: One house lost
Downtown: One house lost
Thickwood: One house lost on Signal Rd.
Timberlea: 12 trailers lost on Mckinlay Cres.
Dickinsfield: Two houses lost
Wood Buffalo: Damaged, not as severe as Beacon Hill/Abasand/Waterways

Cole's Notes, the central and north end of Fort Mac is pretty much a complete loss. The far south end (which is smaller and less populated) still had some damage but not a complete loss. Saline Creek and Gregoire is super far south. The south end of Fort Mac might comprise 20% of the town's population.