• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Forsberg may play in Olympics

SJN

TRIBE Member
link

k, seriously, WTF?!?!

The guy is earning over $5M/yr to play for the Flyers. He's missed the Flyers last 8 games and has missed 16 games total this season. Now, miraculously, he's decided he might be healthy enough to play for Sweden.

Does anyone else find this to be completely inappopriate? If I were the Flyers management, I'd be livid if he suited up for Sweden.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SJN
link

k, seriously, WTF?!?!

The guy is earning over $5M/yr to play for the Flyers. He's missed the Flyers last 8 games and has missed 16 games total this season. Now, miraculously, he's decided he might be healthy enough to play for Sweden.

Does anyone else find this to be completely inappopriate? If I were the Flyers management, I'd be livid if he suited up for Sweden.
Bob Mckenzie said the same shit too......but they are also saying he'll only play in the medal games and it is his last chance at winning a gold unless he pulls a chelios and plays till he's 80, so maybe the flyers are giving him some flexibility on this one.....

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SJN
link

k, seriously, WTF?!?!

considering he was my 1st pick overall in my main hockey pool... DAMN SKIPPY IT BURNS MY GOURDS!!!!

fucking bastard should be resting... so he doesn't miss another 20 fucking games. Fuck. I don't EARN POINTS from olympic scoring... SIT YER ASS DOWN PETR.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Forsberg may play in Olympics

Originally posted by StarvinMarvin
so maybe the flyers are giving him some flexibility on this one.....
Both the owner and the GM have indicated that they're not happy about it.

It's not like Forsberg has a sterling record of health either -- he's as injury prone as Eric Lindros (must be something about that trade).

It's completely ridiculous for him to play for Sweden when he hasn't been healthy enough to play for the team that PAYS HIM.

There have to serious insurance questions around this too. Who pays if he tears up his groin in Torino and can't play for the Flyers the rest of the year?

The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. I didn't like Forsberg to begin with for his "will I play...won't I play" antics in the past...but this is just silly.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Forsberg may play in Olympics

Originally posted by SJN
Both the owner and the GM have indicated that they're not happy about it.

It's not like Forsberg has a sterling record of health either -- he's as injury prone as Eric Lindros (must be something about that trade).

It's completely ridiculous for him to play for Sweden when he hasn't been healthy enough to play for the team that PAYS HIM.

There have to serious insurance questions around this too. Who pays if he tears up his groin in Torino and can't play for the Flyers the rest of the year?

The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. I didn't like Forsberg to begin with for his "will I play...won't I play" antics in the past...but this is just silly.
trust me i agree with you it's retarded and the flyers should be upset but I like Forsberg and I can understand why he's doing it, in my books country come first 8 mill or not(thats taking into account i'm already a millionaire like forsy there)

like Mckenzie said the NHL definately has to come up with some more concrete/strict guidelines on things like this, so a player like forsberg cannot get away with things like this

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SJN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by crazedcanuck
Ohh booo fucking hooo... he puts his country first.

If it was any of our top players, like Broduer, you'd all be complainnig if he didn't man up and carry us to gold.
it has nothing to do with "country first"....it has to to with the fact that he is paid millions of dollars, under a contract, by his employer (the Flyers)...he's been too hurt to show up to work for the Flyers, yet he has miraculously made a last-minute recovery just in time to play for Sweden....his employer (the Flyers) have also made it clear they're not happy that he's playing, instead of making sure he's healthy enough to play for them....it's bullshit, but not surprising coming from Forsberg (who's pulled crap like this before)

ps> we DID have a top player like this...his name is Scott Niedermayer...he did the right thing and respected the fact that he has a contract and a responsibility to be healthy for his NHL club

Last edited:

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
ok..

#1. It has everything to do with putting his country first.. IT'S WHAT HE'S DOING!! Can't blame the man for wanting olympic gold, considering this is his last shot @ it in his lifetime.

#2. So who cares that he's going against his employer's wishes. Is it YOUR money??? Forsberg is simply doing what's afforded him in the CBA between the owners and players. He's doing nothing wrong, and you are singling out him amongst many other Flyer players, not to mention a ton of other NHLers that are in similar circumstances.

You can be pissed about what he's doing, but he's not doing anything wrong.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SJN

TRIBE Member
we clearly view this situation very differently:

#1. It has everything to do with putting his country first.. IT'S WHAT HE'S DOING!! Can't blame the man for wanting olympic gold, considering this is his last shot @ it in his lifetime.
The contract he signed to play for the Flyers should come first. If he's not healthy enough to fulfill his commitments to them, he should not be playing for Sweden. He "claims" he's now fully healed, but one wonders whether he would be playing for Philadelphia tomorrow night if they had a game. Further, he could (and should) be taking this opportunity to make sure he's in top health for the rest of the NHL season and playoffs. Forsberg does not have a good track record when it comes to his health.

##2. So who cares that he's going against his employer's wishes. Is it YOUR money??? Forsberg is simply doing what's afforded him in the CBA between the owners and players. He's doing nothing wrong, and you are singling out him amongst many other Flyer players, not to mention a ton of other NHLers that are in similar circumstances.
Forsberg deserves to be singled out -- he is doing something nobody else is. He hasn't played an NHL game since mid-January. He went into the Olympic break hurt and not playing, and has now decided he wants to play for Sweden. Give me an example of one of these "tons" of NHLers in "similar circumstances" -- someone who has not been playing for their NHL team, but has decided to play in the Olympics anyway. A number of other players (e.g., Naslund, Kiprusoff, Johnsson, Kapanen, Sturm, Hecht, Niedermayer, Miller etc.) withdrew from the Olympics to nurse injuries and respect the commitments they made to their NHL club (to whom they are under contract).

You can be pissed about what he's doing, but he's not doing anything wrong.
He is ABSOLUTELY doing something wrong if he's putting his ability to play healthy for the Flyers in jeopardy by playing for Sweden. I could care less whether he was Swedish, American, Canadian, whatever. He has an obligation to the Flyers - end of story.

Last edited:

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
the european players consider the olympics and world championships a bigger deal than the lord stanley.

Forsberg was put on a freekin' stamp in sweeden after that awesome goal in 1998.

Do you see Sundin laying the body in the NHL like he does in the Olympics? NOPE.

Do euopean players crash the net in the NHL? No. But they do in international hockey.

Its just the way it is.

I don't like it one bit.