• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Formatting a drive (computer help please)

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
ok, I hate to be this guy, but I do really need help here.

I'm a total Mac guy, so I know only basic PC oporations...here's what I'm going to want to do.

reformat the hard drive, update the OS from 98 to XP, then install some shit...but I think it's best if we can wipe the drive clean first, so that she'll have some asemblance of order again...

how EXACTLY do I format the drive so that it's clean and empty and ready to be written?...any issues I should be concerned with....reccomended/not reccomended?

I know most of you know this stuff inside and out, so I anticipate your responses....

thank you kindly in advance....

d.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

zoo

TRIBE Member
stick the windows xp cd in, reboot the computer, then boot off the cd

folow the menu and delete the existing partititions, make a new one, and install winxp into it using NTFS

that's pretty much it ... you may want to actually talk to someone while you're doing this incase you're not sure of something ...

funky_citrus

TRIBE Member
Be careful Damon! I had problems doing the same thing last week, and it took me 11 hours(no joke) to correct the problem. The windows xp cd i had was corrupt and wiped out my entire hard drive. Save eveything to a floppy disc first just in case!

P.S: Microsoft Tech support are assholes if you call them!

~Leslie~

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by zoo
stick the windows xp cd in, reboot the computer, then boot off the cd

To do this, you need to press DEL when the computer is booting to go to the BIOS setup screens, go to the BOOT menu, and using the <+> or <Space> keys, you "promote" your CD drive to the top position. Then you save, restart, and you'll have to Press any Key to boot from CD, then follow the directions for wiping everything clean.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I just got reminded of installing MS Office years back, and it came on 24 floppy discs.

I think it might be a bit bloated now.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by deep
nothing but the cutting edge here my good man

Funny thing, I would get notices from Health Canada, and at the bottom of the page it said something like,"We now have compact disk (CD) drives on our computers, and can accept files on compact disks!"

They are really keeping up, which is a good thing, I mean it is our HEALTH that they are concerned about.

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
He's talking about how you said to save all the information on a floppy. You can't save much on a floppy, that is, in relation to the information that people generally have on their PC's.

Carry on.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Oh, you have the high capacity 1.44 meg?

That's high tech-- I'm still on 5.25" floppies.

5.25" were 1.2 megs ... :D

unless you're talking about the ~700k ones ..hehe

funky_citrus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SelfExel
He's talking about how you said to save all the information on a floppy. You can't save much on a floppy, that is, in relation to the information that people generally have on their PC's.

Carry on.

yeah I know. I was just referring to my personal documents. I lost about 100 or so.

~Leslie~