1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Format HDD

Discussion in 'Technology' started by KillaLadY, Oct 15, 2005.

1. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

I have a Western Digital which I have partitioned into two drives (C and D) and I have dynamic drive overlay... I need to format drive C (all of my stuff has been saved to drive D) and if I boot from the WINXP cd, it only sees one drive, not two.

When the computers boots up, I see the Western Digital Ontrack blue box, but I have no clue how to get into the actual tool to format my drives, I tried F8, Enter, exit... nothing.

Help?

2. rod_g

rod_g TRIBE Member

Ick, Do you need to use the drive overlay?

My honest advice would be to burn backups, or dump D: to a spare drive and nuke that drive from orbit

Just use the Windows partition manager, it will save you from problems such as this in the future

If that's not an option, there's gotta be a way to access the drive application during boot, check the WD site

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

There were some issues with the original retail versions of XP not recognizing large hard disks above a certain size so maybe it is not seeing your whole drive if it is a big one. That problem was resolved with XP SP1 .

4. ludikris

ludikris TRIBE Member

There's no reason why an xp cd shouldn't just boot up and allow you to load a new os as well as partition it...

make sure the bios is up to date and the boot priority is set to :

1.cd/dvd rom
    2.drive 0
    3.whatever.

5. Rataxès

Rataxès TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Format HDD

Pre-SP1, XP had a boot partition size limit of ~120GB. It's fixed now, but if you've got an old install CD, you're kinda stuck (unless you install on 120gb and then use a partitioning tool like Partition Magic to resize it)

6. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

yeah...i partitioned a 200 drive, for 40 gig ( c drive ), and 160 ( drive...storage ).
    it ended up being much smaller...almost like i lost 15 gig.

7. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Unfortunatelly, my drive still isn't recognised by the WINXP SP2, I still see 70 or whatever G instead of 200G.

I can't use Windows partition, because that would mean I have to deleted what's on the second drive (drive D) and I can't do that since my life is on that drive.

I emailed tech support from Western Digital, but theier automated response told me to wait 4 business days.

8. rod_g

rod_g TRIBE Member

With DDO's you need to let the application boot the CD for you instead of letting the BIOS boot the cd

Try NOT putting the windows CD in, letting the machine boot and get to the DDO load screen. Try hitting C during the DDO load, then put in your windows disc

Im almost positive that it's C you hit for WD Lifeguard Tools to let you select the boot method

9. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

This isn't a problem at all .. in fact Windows is simply reporting the real size of your hard drive. Most drive manufacturers will say that your drive is 200Gb by computing this (200x1000x1000)kb, when in fact the real calculation should be (200x1024x1024)kb. Thus when you purchase a 200Gb HD you are actually only getting

200 000 000 / 1048576 =~ 191Gb

Combine this with the fact that the partition table for a 200Gb can be quite large, and there's where your almost 15Gb went.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  10. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Exactly how old is this machine. You're describing most likely a limitation of the BIOS to recognize drives larger than 131GB which is common in some older hardware. Try updating to the newest version of the BIOS. However, by having put the overlay on there in the first place, you've pretty much screwed yourself. Never, ever use those disk overlay utilities. If you ever have a crash you can't throw your drive in another box to recover because Windows can't understand the overlay natively.

11. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Thanks guys... I updated my BIOS and then waited for the Ontrack blue message to come on, clicked C then put in the Windows CD.

It worked! I took off the overlay because it's the most idiotic thing ever and now I don't have to worry about my Windows not detecting the proper size.

Thank you very much! :)

12. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

another happy g33k forum customer

:)

13. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

You should start charg... wait... hmmm...