• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Forget everything you know about diets

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
This was quite a surprise to find this morning:

Modern nutrition: Forget all you ever knew about diets
An eight-year scientific study in America has concluded that you might as well eat a bacon sandwich as a low-fat yoghurt if you want to stay healthy.

David Usborne reports
Published: 09 February 2006

Medical researchers in the United States who set out to demonstrate that a low-fat diet will reduce the risks of cancer and heart attacks were struggling yesterday to hide their disappointment. The results from their eight-year, government-funded study are in - and they show no such thing.
continued here: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article344240.ece

I took a read though the whole thing and it's mighty interesting. This was no quick study but an 8-year study costing millions of dollars looking into the effects of a fatty diet vs. a non-fatty diet. The result showed little difference between the two, although the study did not take exercise or any other factors into account.

And it would seem that exercise is a HUGE factor, as I've been able to keep in decent shape despite some very destructive eating habbits (ie: how did I eat that box of cookies in one sitting?). Even more interesting was the note about the GI diet later on...

Six 21st-century diets and what they claim to do

You Are What You Eat

Who's behind it? Gillian McKeith

How does it work? "Good" carbohydrates like brown rice and wholewheat bread and pasta are included, as are "good" fats (known as essential fatty acids), such as the ones found in nuts, seeds, fish and avocados. These are essential for breaking down other types of fat which would otherwise be stored in the body.

What the critics say: "I think what I found most objectionable was the bullying, patronising tone... In my professional opinion, anyone following her advice to the letter will be permanently hungry, thoroughly miserable and most probably will suffer from perpetual indigestion," said one disgruntled biochemist.

Celebrity fans: Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna, Michelle McManus, Kerry Katona

The Atkins Diet

Who's behind it? Robert Atkins

How does it work? Dr Atkins believed that too much carbohydrate causes the body to produce too much insulin, and this in turn leads to hunger and weight gain. On the diet, you're allowed 15-60g of carbohydrates a day - including pasta, bread and fruit - but you're encouraged to eat protein and fat. The diet works on the principle that by reducing high-carbohydrate foods, we can alter our metabolism and shed weight.

What the critics say: Dr Atkins was clinically obese when he died. Nutritionist Dr Susan Jebb condemned the diet as "nonsense and pseudo science". Health psychologist Dr Jane Ogden described fans of the diet as "delusional".

Celebrity fans: Renée Zellweger, Jennifer Aniston, Geri Halliwell and Robbie Williams.

The South Beach Diet

Who's behind it? Dr Arthur Agatston, who says: "Forget low carbs and low fat and think right carbs and right fats."

How does it work? The principle is that the more weight you carry, the higher the risk that your body will become insulin-resistant. The side effect of this is that the body stores more fat, particularly around the tummy, hips and thighs. The diet works by teaching you to rely on the right carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables and wholegrains) and reduce the intake of " bad" carbohydrates (cakes, biscuits).

What the critics say: Dieters who avoid carbohydrates often experience significant weight loss during the initial stages of this diet, but it has a diuretic effect and this may be due to water loss, not fat loss.

Celebrity fans: Nicole Kidman

The Hay Diet

Who's behind it? Dr William Howard Hay

How does it work? The underlying cause of many health problems is the wrong chemical condition in the body. Dr Hay classified foods into three types (protein, neutral and starch) according to their requirements for efficient digestion. Mixing protein and starchy carbohydrates at the same meal, for example, leads to them being incompletely digested, leading to toxicity and weight problems. Vegetables and fruit form a large part of the diet, but fruit must be eaten in isolation.

What the critics say: A University of East Anglia study found "no scientific evidence or reason to believe the 'protein fights carbohydrates' theory".

Celebrity fans: Liz Hurley, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

The Gl Diet

Who's behind it? It started as a clinical trial, when Dr David Jenkins of the University of Toronto looked at the effects of different types of carbohydrates on diabetes patients. It was launched in 2004.

How does it work? GI stands for glycaemic index, a scale of 1 to 100 that describes the speed at which we digest carbohydrates. Foods with a low glycaemic index, such as porridge or beetroot, release glucose slowly and evenly. High GI foods provide a quick hit and encourage the body to release insulin, which then converts the excess glucose into fat.

What the critics say: Very little. The medical industry considers the GI diet to be one of the most sensible and healthy plans around. !!!

Celebrity fans: Kylie Minogue and Anthony Worrall Thompson.

The Zone Diet

Who's behind it? Nutritionist Dr Barry Sears.

How does it work? A strict low-fibre, low-carb regime. Sears believes that by regulating insulin, we maximise fat loss and reduce the chances of heart disease. One of the most complicated diets around, it relies on a ratio of 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats.

What the critics say: You have to eat six complicated meals a day, so even in Hollywood, where it initially proved a big hit among celebs, models and those with time on their hands, it had little staying power.

Celebrity fans: Jennifer Aniston - "I got addicted to it. It wasn't a good thing."

Skipper

TRIBE Member
The GI diet has been around for much longer than 2004 (unless I'm mis-reading that and that's not what it is suggesting)

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
The GI diet has been around for much longer than 2004 (unless I'm mis-reading that and that's not what it is suggesting)
yeah, i just read that it was 'invented' in 1981.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
I'm going to put all the cliches and common sense into a good mantra

Whatever happened to eating sensibly and staying active?

too much of anything is bad.

It's easy to know which foods are good for you and which are bad. Dont stay away from the bad foods, just eat more good ones than bad ones.

Variety is the spice of life.

Enjoy life, eat well, play sports and have fun staying active and you'll live longer than a couch potatoe.

The only diet that should be followed is staying away from chemicals and preservatives, which in this day and age has become just about impossible or way to expensive.

Your body is your temple treat it as such.

I'm sure there's more that can be added here.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
okay what the hell. I'm logged in as Subsonic Chronic but I am way the fuck out in Saskatchewan.

HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?

haha? WEIRD!

~ Johane

shylock_one

TRIBE Member
Part of the problem with the study may be that the women asked to reduce their fat intake to 20 per cent didn't quite manage that. In fact, by year six, they had on average slipped to a fat percentage level of 27 per cent. The control group was at 35 per cent at the start of the study and at 37 per cent by the end. The gap in fat intake between the two groups was not, therefore, as wide as the researchers hoped.
Total fat intake of 27% vs. 37% is hardly what I'd call low fat.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Study funded by the pork farmers co-operative. :p

I agree with it though, eat well (as in foods that come from a farm as opposed to created in a lab or factory) and exercise. Simple. If you actually work for your food I think it plays a big role as well. One might consider a dinner I make excessive, or too high in fat or calories, but what is omitted is that I just spent 3 hours standing and working in the kitchen to get it, rather than putting a low-fat frozen dinner in the microwave and pushing start while I sit on my fat ass.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
I think the GI diet dude wrote his first book in 2002.

(at least that is what my GI diet recipe book says)
There was a DR that published quite a few books that were on the GI diet - Andrew Weil maybe?

depraved

TRIBE Member
Re: I'm going to put all the cliches and common sense into a good mantra

Originally posted by The Watcher
The only diet that should be followed is staying away from chemicals and preservatives, which in this day and age has become just about impossible or way to expensive.
Chemicals and preservatives can be virtually eliminated from diet by cooking from scratch i.e. no ready-made anything in recipe. Time consuming: a bit; affordable: depends where you shop (which can also take time...)

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member

Agreed Nick. There really are no shortcuts. Stop eating crap (and too much of it at that) and get off the couch. the end.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Cooking more of your own meals at home and relying less on processed foods (whole grain bread instead of white, for instance) is a much better way to eat in general. But moderation is really the key to any diet. A decent amount of exercise, even if that just means walking more and being more active generally, will always help.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kaniz

TRIBE Member
In highschool, I got rathre heavy at one point. One day, decided to sign up at the gym, and lost about 40 pounds in 3-4 months and didnt change my diet at all.

Well, the biggest/only change was drinking water instead of coke.

A few of my friends were trying various diets in effort to lose weight having no sucess, and were all jealous at how fast/much I lost.

30-60 mins of cardio a day 5x a week + weights = results fast :p

I wish I had the patience to do that again, lol. I have a hard enough time going even 3x a week these days.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
One might consider a dinner I make excessive, or too high in fat or calories, but what is omitted is that I just spent 3 hours standing and working in the kitchen to get it, rather than putting a low-fat frozen dinner in the microwave and pushing start while I sit on my fat ass.
You're assuming people who are on a reduced calorie/fat diet are lazy....which is completely unfair and untrue. Every Saturday I do up a 7 day meal plan of lower cal/lower fat recipes, then carefully shop for the ingredients (which are sometimes not always easy to get in regular grocery stores) and oftentimes between the two of us cooking we still spend quite awhile preparing a meal on a weeknight.

Being careful about what we eat is actually quite a time consuming exercise. Anyone who has ever lost a substantial amount of weight can tell you it takes a lot of effort to watch and plan your food intake so closely.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member

too much of anything is bad.

It's easy to know which foods are good for you and which are bad. Dont stay away from the bad foods, just eat more good ones than bad ones.

Variety is the spice of life.

Enjoy life, eat well, play sports and have fun staying active and you'll live longer than a couch potatoe.

Your body is your temple treat it as such.

I'm sure there's more that can be added here.
<:{

grounded4life

TRIBE Member
Well I have to tell you that since I found out that I have celiac disease I elliminated all the gluten from my diet and basically went on the atkins diet. I have been exercising, but in a period of 5 weeks I lost 12lbs. So I think it works... cos I have the evidence to prove it. I still eat some carbs, but no carbs that basically come from wheat flour. It's great! No complaints here.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
You're assuming people who are on a reduced calorie/fat diet are lazy....which is completely unfair and untrue. Every Saturday I do up a 7 day meal plan of lower cal/lower fat recipes, then carefully shop for the ingredients (which are sometimes not always easy to get in regular grocery stores) and oftentimes between the two of us cooking we still spend quite awhile preparing a meal on a weeknight.

Being careful about what we eat is actually quite a time consuming exercise. Anyone who has ever lost a substantial amount of weight can tell you it takes a lot of effort to watch and plan your food intake so closely.
Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that low-cal folks are lazy, I was just using the low fat example to further my point. The example still works if you were to substitute pizza pockets for the low fat microwave dinner.

Eating well, low fat or not definitely takes a lot of extra effort, but it doesnt have to be expensive, and if you make a large batch of something you can put all the time in up front too if you like

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
Eating well, low fat or not definitely takes a lot of extra effort, but it doesn’t have to be expensive, and if you make a large batch of something you can put all the time in up front too if you like
Word... I've been really good about making my lunches lately, or making dinners big enough so I have a few days of leftovers, and as a result I've been eating healthier and saving a pile of cash.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
pretty much everything I eat is homeade. I don't find it time consuming or more expensive. I do plan a little what I"m going to eat then go shopping with a list though. This is essential I think. I bring my own lunch.. that saves a tonne of cash.

I can't eat premade food. I can't handle MSG, My body freaks out.