• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Force Fed Arab women

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
BBC online January 27th, 2004:

Obesity is so revered among Mauritania's white Moor Arab population that the young girls are sometimes force-fed to obtain a weight the government has described as "life-threatening".

A generation ago, over a third of women in the country were force-fed as children - Mauritania is one of the few African countries where, on average, girls receive more food than boys.

Now only around one in 10 girls are treated this way. The treatment has its roots in fat being seen as a sign of wealth - if a girl was thin she was considered poor, and would not be respected.

But in rural Mauritania you still see the rotund women that the country is famous for. They walk slowly, dainty hands on the end of dimpled arms, pinching multicoloured swathes of fabric together to keep the biting sand from their faces.

"I make them eat lots of dates, lots and lots of couscous and other fattening food," Fatematou, a voluminous woman in her sixties who runs a kind of "fat farm" in the northern desert town of Atar, told BBC World Service's The World Today programme.

When they are small they don't understand, but when they grow up they are fat and beautiful
Fatematou
'Fat farm' manager
Although she had no clients when I met her, she said she was soon expecting to take charge of some seven-year-olds.

"I make them eat and eat and eat. And then drink lots and lots of water," she explained.

"I make them do this all morning. Then they have a rest. In the afternoon we start again. We do this three times a day - the morning, the afternoon and the evening."

Punishment

She said the girls could end up weighing between 60 to 100 kilograms, "with lots of layers of fat."

Obesity is seen as a sign a husband cares for his wife
Fatematou said that it was rare for a girl to refuse to eat, and that if they did, she was helped by the child's parents.

"They punish the girls and in the end the girls eat," she said.
Fatematou admitted that sometimes the girls cried at the treatment.
"Of course they cry - they scream," she said.

"We grab them and we force them to eat. If they cry a lot we leave them sometimes for a day or two and then we come back to start again.

"They get used to it in the end."

She argued that in the end the girls were grateful.

"When they are small they don't understand, but when they grow up they are fat and beautiful," she said.

"They are proud and show off their good size to make men dribble. Don't you think that's good?"

Change

However, the view that a fat girl is more desirable is now becoming seen as old-fashioned.

A study by the Mauritanian ministry of health has found that force-feeding is dying out. Now only 11% of young girls are force fed.

We're fed up of fat women
Yusuf, 19
"That's not how people think now," Leila - a woman in the ancient desert town of Chinguetti, who herself was fattened as a child - told The World Today.

"Traditionally a fat wife was a symbol of wealth. Now we've got another vision, another criteria for beauty.

"Young people in Mauritania today, we're not interested in being fat as a symbol of beauty. Today to be beautiful is to be natural, just to eat normally."

Some men are also much less keen on having a fat wife - a reflection of changes in Mauritanian society.

"We're fed up of fat women here," said 19-year-old shop owner Yusuf.

"Always fat women! Now we want thin women.

"In Mauritania if a woman really wants to get married I think she should stay thin. If she gets fat it's not good.

"Some girls have asked me whether they should get fat or stay thin. I tell them if you want to find a man, a European or a Mauritanian, stay thin, it's better for you. But some blokes still like them fat."

And while there still men who like their women big, Fatematou is on hand to fatten them up with her years of experience.

I asked her if she ever felt cruel, beating and force feeding children?

"No! It's not cruel to make girls fat!" she said.

"Me, I've seen 10-year old girls give birth. I tell you, 10 years old!

"Once they are fat and beautiful they can serve their men well, once they are fat they can be married."

Preroller

TRIBE Member
my friend worked as a nurse there for 3 years and she said it's also a custom for the mothers to perfrom oral on the male babies to calm them down when they are crying.

DAVE

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
what! and for all these years, we were just being given opium in india to shut us up as kids.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JAR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Preroller
my friend worked as a nurse there for 3 years and she said it's also a custom for the mothers to perfrom oral on the male babies to calm them down when they are crying.

DAVE

serious?! :eek:

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member

DAVE

All I get is a tissue, and someone telling me it's funny watching me cry. I should move to this place. :D

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I don't think it's all that great...

and they also think its ok, to cut up little girls vaginas and remove any sources of pleasure(clitorous) so that it is painful for them to have sex, only pleasureable for the man, ya that's just great.

DAVE

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I don't think it's all that great...

and they also think its ok, to cut up little girls vaginas and remove any sources of pleasure(clitorous) so that it is painful for them to have sex, only pleasureable for the man, ya that's just great.

DAVE

I was making light of your friends mother's comments. I already know that in the cradle of civilization there's not a lot of civilised behaviour. I also know that you when call these practices and the cultures that support them barbaric and savage, you get accused of all sorts of nasty things.

Alita

TRIBE Member
poor duckies

"Foie gras is French for "fatty liver". Hepatic lipidosis is Greek for "fatty liver disease". According to veterinarians, they are one and the same. Foie gras, the liver of a duck or goose swollen to many times normal size by force-feeding to make an expensive "gourmet" appetizer, is the very painful liver disease hepatic lipidosis. It is "the food of the pharaohs", according to some promoters. Of course, the pharaohs are not remembered mainly for their compassion."

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/newsletter/foiegras.htm

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by judge wopner
"I make them do this all morning. Then they have a rest. In the afternoon we start again. We do this three times a day - the morning, the afternoon and the evening."

Punishment

She said the girls could end up weighing between 60 to 100 kilograms, "with lots of layers of fat."

k..so wait

eating 3 times a day is force feeding?

60 kg (about 130lbs) is obese?

SUUURE THING MAURITANIA

mingster

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Force Fed Arab women

Originally posted by kat
k..so wait

eating 3 times a day is force feeding?

60 kg (about 130lbs) is obese?

SUUURE THING MAURITANIA

errr....these kids are like, 7-years-old.

Alita

TRIBE Member
it's not the same as pate is it? I've never had foie gras...

As for the fat girls, Kat - I think 130lbs is pretty hefty for a little girl :p

mingster

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Force Fed Arab women

Originally posted by kat
where does it say that?

up there...in the article.

"Although she had no clients when I met her, she said she was soon expecting to take charge of some seven-year-olds."

kat

TRIBE Member
true..i guess i skimmed that part

MAYBE THEY ARE REALLY TALL SO AS NOT TO CRUSH THEIR FATTY GIRL ANKLES

i thought they were older.
uhm..0k..never mind

pate = foie gras

foie gras to me is just the prissypants name for it.

foie gras is just the liver (duck or goose)
pate is anything added to it (and can include other fowl)

i could be wrong though ;p

byebye
kait

Last edited:

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I have foul smells emanating from me today, once again.

tayo

TRIBE Member

DAVE

Are you sure about this? cause i remember hearing this rumour in high school, only about Pakistanis - how mothers perform oral sex on the boys because they think it is healthy for them. (It's a myth obviously). Might want to check your facts before you go around spreading misinformation about the Mauritanians or whoever.