• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

CiG

TRIBE Member
Trying to fix a friends old mountain bike and need to find a new rigid fork 26" threaded headset 1". Anyone know a shop which might carry old stuff, used or nos?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of lubricant do I use inside the pedal crank of an old CCM bike like this?

Oil? Grease? Modern teflon-type bike lubricants?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Inside the bottom bracket? (where the bearings for the crank are)
You need to use grease in there. You have to disassemble it to do it which can be tricky, especially if those are cottered cranks, which the likely are but can't tell from the picture. Do they have a 10mm or so shiny pin poking out where the crank arm meets the spindle on either side, or does the crank just curve straight into the bottom bracket?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Not cottered. That is the easier one. You'll need a tool to adjust the bearing race (the part behind the nut with the two holes- that's where the pin goes. And you'll also need a large wrench for the nut. The nut is a reverse thread! (righty loosey) Depending what kind of shape the bearings are in you might need to replace them when you take it apart. You can get new bearings in cages at the bike shop, just bring your old ones for comparison.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Any bike shop should be able to do it, although a lot of them will probably try to convince you to buy a new bike! Still recommend the bike joint, but it's a bit of a trek for you! If you have the tools and experience it's a 20 min job, so take that into account when they quote you for "repack bottom bracket" (ask for that)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Any bike shop should be able to do it, although a lot of them will probably try to convince you to buy a new bike! Still recommend the bike joint, but it's a bit of a trek for you! If you have the tools and experience it's a 20 min job, so take that into account when they quote you for "repack bottom bracket" (ask for that)
Will "repack the bottom bracket" mean that they will replace the ball bearings if they need replacing?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What about that other bike place on Queen St. East near Sherborne?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Not sure what other place you're talking about, I've been out of the toronto bike scene for 5 years now believe it or not so I'm not up to speed on who is good/not good anymore! If you're talking about cavern cycles they've been gone for years. (although I would have recommended him)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

We trained Dexter to ride in the used buggy we bought. Yesterday was his first ride (a short one). Today we biked from my place in Leslieville to the Island and back, He was a bit wary a few times when passing other dogs, but he is now a cyclist!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
watched this last week. he does it A LOT / professionally? and with the slow down by pinning in heels against the rear tire/wheel and then as he lets go dropping in, , its beauty in motion.

I want to try it and a the same time, would want an empty road in the country for a few KM

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
awesome.

I like this idea, but it would severely limit your ability to get though spots less than a meter wide no?

after biking in downtown Toronto for the better part of 25 years, many many times i have escaped certain doom for being able to get into tight spots.

How did other cyclists see it, i know on roads with no bike lanes, its great, but for roads with bike lanes, where people sometimes pass slower cyclists, have you had any issues yet?