• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
not sure if i posted my two babies or not!

I haven't ridden much this season which is a disappointment. I hope to do way more next year though. I want to get clips/shoes for my road bike as I'm going to participate in the 500km ride for JumpStart next year. I also am going to start doing triathlons.. i've only ever did a duathlon and it was a lot of fun.

I used to ride my hybrid to work but now that I'm a 20 mins walk to work, there is no point.. and they dont even have a bike rack. I'm not locking up on on yonge street.. at my old work they had cages. it was awesome.

p.s aren't my bikes sexy!!

Silver and Benny :)

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Whats the one in the back?

And don't bother with clips, just go clipless, although some people like the powerstraps.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
it's a Trek Hybrid.. It's my commuter. I ride it all the time.

I added two cages, a bell and lights to my road bike. I want to get a bike computer for it. Don't clips make you ride faster?

derek

TRIBE Member
clips (toe straps) are not as efficient of 'clipless' on the the upstroke.

there are a few different types of clipless pedals too (eggbeaters, SPD, and so on).

Last edited:
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

xopus

TRIBE Member
thanks guys. :)
spaboy, seriously right? She was one of the nicest people i met at the show. and yeah, so so hot.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Looking forward to the Rampage tomorrow! Hope the rain hasn't caused to many issues.

I'm finishing off a custom decal for my Fox fork. The one seen in the pic is chrome and red. Design is right but i'm going with other colours. Out of the test batch, I have 2 other decals. If anyone wants them, let me know. Free. Straight custom bro!! :p

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
That looks like a futuristic version of my mountain bike. You kids. Looks like someone switched the chainring and cogs!

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Ya, that's the Sram 1x11. 10/42 cassette. Just sold it though. When in the 10 cog, the chain line us raked so much that when you back pedal, the chain gets caught on the next cog up and either jumps up or gets jammed. When it gets jammed and you power forward, snappy goes the chain. I busted 2 in a month. Wanted to try it cause its a dedicated 1x but should of known being Sram it would be half ass. Xtr 1x10 will be replacing it

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xopus

TRIBE Member
thats funny, ive ridden 1x11 a few times on demo bikes and have been impressed every time. Maybe i just haven't back pedaled it much.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Do any of you hang up your bike in your apt? I am planning on mounting my road bike.. just wondering if anyone has done it and what hooks do you guys use?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I hang my bikes in my garage. You can get hooks coated with foam for a few bucks at crappy tire. Make sure you screw into a joist!

spaboy

TRIBE Member
thats funny, ive ridden 1x11 a few times on demo bikes and have been impressed every time. Maybe i just haven't back pedaled it much.
only happens in the 10. Even pedaling forward in the 10 isn't 100 percent. Most people find it a non issue and say just keep out off the 10. So what do I need the 11 for then?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
bike sharrows suck

'Sharrows' suck

As evidenced by today's accident with a female cyclist crushed under a truck at Spadina & Dundas.

Sharrows are meaningless and give cyclists a false sense of confidence that vehicles won't run them down when they are riding in 'sharrow' lanes.

I bet if they surveyed drivers and cyclists, most would not understand what the sharrow markings on the Toronto roads mean.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
This bothers me. Toronto roads are shitty as a driver and as cyclists. Not saying either is to blame in this case as I was not there and did not witness the accident.

These are just some general comments and observations about right lanes.

The mayor on his end of the "war on car" rampage has done no one any favours. Sharrows are a huge waste of time, and all it means is they got rid of cycle lanes and turned the lane back into a normal shared right line but with a bunch of dumb meaningless arrows painted in it to confuse people.

Cyclists have not made it easy to share the road either. Many of the "new" cyclists who have started riding around Toronto when it became trendy have contributed to congestion and being stupid. They spoil it for other cyclists who understand the rules of the road, but more importantly, cyclists who realize that a bike is no match for a truck ever! Regardless if you were in the shared lane. Riding with head phones on, running red lights, etc. etc. is very unsafe and stuff that I witness every day when I am on my bike downtown.

I think many of these "new" cyclists need to learn what a blind spot is. When a car is turning right (stopped in the right lane and obviously going to turn) you do not then pass it on the right, and then when you almost get hit freak out on the car. Car cannot see you there! And then truck blind spots are even worse. Do not ride up beside a truck (or a bus) on its right side when it is stopped at a light. It will not see you! And bad shit can happen to you.

By riding as an aware rider I have avoided more potential accidents then I can count. Sure I may have had "the right of way" or whatever, but at the end of the day I just want to get home safe and will wait the extra 30 seconds or so to let an idiot turn, or wait in the line of cars instead of sneaking by at the curb to get ahead.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Agree, Sharrows are totally pointless and cars entirely ignore them and if you actually dared to bike in the centre of one and that blocked car traffic behind you, you would get the wrath of drivers.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories