• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Patch the tube. You can't effectively patch a bike tire. A nail hole won't matter unless it's torn or it's so large you can see the tube through the tire once it's inflated.
my wife replaced the tube while i was at work yesterday( had someone do it) ride home seemed fine.

the rear tire that was punctured was alot more worn through than the front, so
last night i switched the rear tire to the front with the new innertube, and the then front tire to the back with the old one.

went for a short 20 min ride last night, everything seemed fine.

woke up this morning, and its flat again. wife is picking me up a replacement tire and another tube, and if i get back and check to see if the tube is leaking from the same spot where the hole in the tire is, ill get her to take the tube back and get me another one( cant have enough spare tubes !)

if they wont take it back ill patch it and keep as spare.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
They won't take the tube back. Run your fingers inside the tire (carefully!) to see if there is something still in there. If there is, pull it out. If you leave one of the beads on the tire on the wheel then find the hole in the tube, you can narrow the location of the puncture to one of two places using the valve as a reference point.

If the tire you moved to the front is really worn, it's probably a good idea to replace it. Rear tires wear out faster naturally, and don't forget it's much easier to recover the back end if something unexpected happens.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
yeah so upon further inspection there was a decent whole in the tube, and the tire was worn down enough that the hole that nail left in the tire, i think opened up and the tube came out and got torn during ride? something pushed through? regardless tube is botched garbage. tire is garbage, got a new tire for front and new tube.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Did a 31km bike ride this morning at 8am! Beautiful day for one!

I'm the only one in my bike group that doesn't have a road bike tho.. argh. I seriously need to win the lottery.. It was a lot of fun. We cycled from Summer Hill down to Martin Goodman Trail and back. :)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Does someone have a good 75Km route that is around the city / city bike paths?

Ride to Conquer Cancer is two week away, and I'd like to do a 75 Km before this weekend.

My usual route from my house down humber, across to the Tom Thompson/ Leslie spit and home is 60km, so I guess I could just do a few laps back on forth across the Lakeshore but I prefer not too.. lol

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Did a 31km bike ride this morning at 8am! Beautiful day for one!

I'm the only one in my bike group that doesn't have a road bike tho.. argh. I seriously need to win the lottery.. It was a lot of fun. We cycled from Summer Hill down to Martin Goodman Trail and back. :)
What kind of bike are you using to do that kind of distance? A beater? Or something better?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

HC_P

TRIBE Member

Ride to Conquer Cancer is two week away, and I'd like to do a 75 Km before this weekend.

My usual route from my house down humber, across to the Tom Thompson/ Leslie spit and home is 60km, so I guess I could just do a few laps back on forth across the Lakeshore but I prefer not too.. lol
I'm not sure how much distance this will add, but you can try the following:

• from the Leslie spit, head north on Leslie to Lakeshore
  • head east along the south side of Lakeshore until Coxwell
  • cross the street (north) and head west along Lakeshore - this will connect to a path that runs along the Don River
  • take this path until you come to a divide (you'll cross Potery Road along the way) where you can go to Taylor Creek Park, or toward Sunnybrook - take the Sunnybrook option (you'll cross a wooden bridge)
  • you'll eventually get to the horse-riding school, or you can climb the hill to the sports fields

You'll have to back-track, so it's not as nice a complete loop, but this should add some distance to your route. If it's not enough, just do a few laps in High Park on your back :)

Ciao,
AL

octo

TRIBE Member
hello bike thread.

i'm getting back into biking and looking to purchase a mountain bike for riding on trails like Albion Hills.

i'm short and have short legs. i figure at 16" bike is best for me. but i'm having a hard time finding a bike in my price range in that size.

i found a 15" bike today. would that be ok? is one inch smaller than ideal much better than 2 inches bigger than ideal? cause i found an 18" bike too.

i find wiping out on trails much more difficult to deal with when my first concern becomes my balls instead of concentrating on falling off "properly."

HC_P

TRIBE Member
^^

What's your price range? Which shops have you been to?

A few places worth a visit are Dukes, Cyclemotive, and Gears. The first two are in the downtown core, and Gears is in Leaside (Laird and Eglinton). I lucked out with my mountain bike at Gears, and they cover minor adjustments for the life of your bike which is a nice touch. Gears may not be the cheapest store, but it's worth a stop in to see what's out there.

As for frame size, I would definitely go for the smaller size. It'll be easier to maneuver, and won't be as risky when you crash.

Good luck with the search.

octo

TRIBE Member
i guess my price range is anywhere from $400 to $700.

i live in the west end. i checked out Browns, Chain Reaction and Skiis & Bikes.

i want a hardtail, with disc brakes (mechanical is fine) and alivio components. 16" frame. if anyone sees anything that fits the bill please let me know. i would settle for altus components or whatever the sram equivalent is.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I got my new bike at Gears also, the mississauga location, Cawthra and Lakeshore. I found they had good selection (of all sizes of frames) and the fit was included in the price of the bike etc. My bike wasn't cheap, but Road bikes are not cheap anywhere :p

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter

An easy option is to just take the Lakeshore trail West. Paths til Lakeshore/Parklawn, then continue west on Lakeshore until 2nd Ave (go south) that will connect you back on the Lakeshore Path (just follow the lake/ bike signs). You can bike to Hamilton from there. It's a nice ride, with little traffic.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
My new ride:

Cube Peleton. Round trip to work n back is 30km per day. Had a massive tailwind coming home today and made it in 30 minutes. Loving it, though if/when I have to ride into the same kind of wind that helped me home, it's gonna suuuuuuck

lucky1

TRIBE Member
--[Zirca]--;4546703 said:
An easy option is to just take the Lakeshore trail West. Paths til Lakeshore/Parklawn, then continue west on Lakeshore until 2nd Ave (go south) that will connect you back on the Lakeshore Path (just follow the lake/ bike signs). You can bike to Hamilton from there. It's a nice ride, with little traffic.
I've done this route alot since I live in bloor west area. I find there is too much "street" riding for me on the lakeshore / queensway.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Failed hipster - fixie must go

HAHAHAHAHA

I tried so hard. I dated a girl from Portland. I criticized cheese. I applied the term artisanal to every inanimate object that went in or on my body. I burned and singed my forearms just to make it look like I was going to culinary school. I grew Carol Brady hair. I got itchy from the finest flannel and I cut off circulation from the waist down with jeans that made my ass look like an elevator button.

. . .And I rode a fixie.

No more. It's all gotta go. The hair, the macrame, the texting overages, the Netflix and Hulu Plus. The record collection (have you ever tried to box up and move an effin stack of LPs?!) . . .and the bike. Pictured below is the bike. It's beautiful. It's got red rims. Red chain. Red tires. Red handlebars shaped like devil horns -- because it's the devil.

The guys at the hipster store don't tell you fixes don't stop. So I will. Fixies don't stop. Stop sign? Fixie don't care. Car coming turning in front of you at a three-way stop? Fixie laugh. Want Chipotle? Nope. Fixie want protein powder/beet/purple carrot/bee pollen juice and won't stop till he gets it. Fixie has a mind of his own.

Yesterday, Fixie got pulled over twice by SLO PD in three hours. In six months time, Fixie collected more tickets than a scalper for a Radiohead show at Hollywood Bowl.

I'm selling this badboy and tipping the dregs of my last PBR tall boy in his memory.

The (Devil) Fixie:
Cinelli Gazzetta Frame (2011)
Crane Creek and Origin 8 components

priceless post on Craigslist.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders