• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
going on my first (relatively) long bike ride ever on Sunday

some friends and I are trying to take the bike trails that run from near Ajax Go station to Rouge Valley, and then the rest of the trails from Rouge back downtown.

Anyone taken this route, are the trails rough enough that you really will need a MTB? (all of have hybrids, not MTB)

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Commuters !

do you where a mask when commuting, so you dont breath in horribla aka terribla toxins etc.

i currently have ;

Respro Neo Mask - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

and was wondering if anyone has

Respro Techno Mask - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

or a different brand of mask that is easy to breath through even if you are riding hard.
how do you keep your glasses from not fogging up?
and when im breathing hard, i find that sometimes i almost have to occasionally pull my mask off just to get like a really full clean breath.

what do you use?

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Commuters !

do you where a mask when commuting, so you dont breath in horribla aka terribla toxins etc.

i currently have ;

Respro Neo Mask - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

and was wondering if anyone has

Respro Techno Mask - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

or a different brand of mask that is easy to breath through even if you are riding hard.
how do you keep your glasses from not fogging up?
and when im breathing hard, i find that sometimes i almost have to occasionally pull my mask off just to get like a really full clean breath.

what do you use?
I hate smog as much and toxins as much as anyone.

But I wouldnt want to look like a nutbar biking around in summer wearing a mask like these.

I always saw them at MEC and wondered, who buys these? Psy Trance ravers teleported here from 2001? Gravers?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i rode all last summer wearing the one i have now, and i just want something better.

and i could give a fuck if people think im a nutbar, ill live longer and cancer free ( knocks on wood ) by taking precautions.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Are they independently proven to work? Besides just filtering the money out of your wallet, I mean.

I don't wear one as I'm not that delicate, but I do have the advantage of looking like a nutbar without.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
need some help from the pro's.

I have a specialized epic with the following 2011 drivetrain:
  • XTR Shadow 10spd rear derailleur
  • XT 10 spd cassette
  • XTR 3x Crank
  • XTR 3x Front Derailleur
  • XTR Trigger shifters

I want to switch to grip shift (yes, I'm one of the few that love it). I'm looking at the new 2012 X0 Gripshift. To convert, what do I HAVE TO switch over. I thought the following:
  • X0 Rear Derailleur
  • X0 Gripshift

Will the XT cassette be compatible? I'm assuming the front derailleur and cranks will be fine, as my old bike is all shimano components and just the RD and Shifters are SRAM.

Thanks for the assistance. I can't find a clear answer anywhere.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
Sorry I have no help to add.

Riding:

I went to hardwood hills today, fuck me do I love nice groomed trails where I know without a doubt nobody will be coming the opposite way.

I also found 30 kms of singletrack for xc skiing in wasaga beach provincial park, which was amazing.

and I rode the Don on Saturday and did the whole loop without breaks, which is good for me cuz I'm fat and lazy and out of shape.

I guess quitting weed really has had a good effect thus far. (Well not quitting but cutting down by 90%)

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Are they independently proven to work? Besides just filtering the money out of your wallet, I mean.

I don't wear one as I'm not that delicate, but I do have the advantage of looking like a nutbar without.
Fair point, i should really look into independent studies and or confirmation that it does actually do something for me instead of just wasting money.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
Great weekend for riding - Keslo Friday, Hilton Falls Saturday, lazy Sunday, first trip of the season today to Blue.
We were up at blue on saturday and sunday shredding the gnar
It was hot as balls but boy what a blast to be dhing with lift access instead of pushing

Anywhere you ride is going to be infested with blackflies/mosquitos.

Hope you enjoyed blue as well!

i lix

TRIBE Member
i bought a mask years ago and HATED it.

i felt like i had to force breath in to get any oxygen, let alone enough. hello hyperventilation!!

not to mention the sweating and the fogging and the cost of the filter recharges.

the technology might have changed since then, but i personally found the cons outweighed the pros. maybe in another country, but certainly not where i am now.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member

This post is the best.

And on a personal note, I'm now riding into work on a 2012 SS KHS Urban Soul, which is not the bike of my dreams, but for $350 new was a tough deal to beat. It rides so much faster and more solid than my last hybrid beater. Commuting is a dream now.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i bought a mask years ago and HATED it.

i felt like i had to force breath in to get any oxygen, let alone enough. hello hyperventilation!!

not to mention the sweating and the fogging and the cost of the filter recharges.

the technology might have changed since then, but i personally found the cons outweighed the pros. maybe in another country, but certainly not where i am now.
im just commuting up greenwood, across to donlands, over the pape bridge, across overlea and up donmills to wynford and across.

after using the mask, i can def say 100% the smell and the taste that i get when i dont have it on is MUCH more apparent.

now whether it actually mitigates what i am breathing in and filters it effectively is another question entirely.

im sure there is ' some ' benefit, i just dont know that is out weighs the cost, and what if there is shit on the filter that i am breathing in that isnt good for me?

CONS

- its hot and gross
- causes glasses to fog up
- doesnt allow full breathing
- expensive to buy replacement filters

PROS

- makes you look like a nutbar if you arent already i_BrAD
- mitigates some taste and smell during ride, but replaces it with synthetic filter smell.
- Keeps you face warmer in cold weather.( seasonal )

regardless i havent worn it in the last 2 weeks of riding.

on this mornings commute, i had a 2inch nail pierce my rear tire and tube, didnt damage the rim it seems, SOOOOO annoying.

Can i patch the Tire as well as the Tube? or is it pointless after that kind of hole a fat 2 inch nail will leave?

eddie

TRIBE Member
anybody know who to write to about pot holes. My road bike went into one on monday almost killed myself. Destroyed a very expensive wheel.
really pissed.
Thanks

lucky1

TRIBE Member
my partner wears a mask sometimes. but he is delicate (lol)

He has really bad allergies. The mask he has filters out the pollen (and other toxins). Really good for him in spring and fall or else he is constantly sneezing and blowing nose etc.

I think the mask looks retarded and wouldn't wear one. Also as an asthma sufferer having to work so hard to breath through the mask feels like an asthma attack to me. No thanks! Toronto air is not that bad only on the worst smog days do I worry about riding in bad air.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Can i patch the Tire as well as the Tube? or is it pointless after that kind of hole a fat 2 inch nail will leave?
Patch the tube. You can't effectively patch a bike tire. A nail hole won't matter unless it's torn or it's so large you can see the tube through the tire once it's inflated.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
anybody know who to write to about pot holes. My road bike went into one on monday almost killed myself. Destroyed a very expensive wheel.
really pissed.
Thanks
There is someone, and you might actually get some cash I've heard of settlements before. Unfortunately I can't remember the person's name! I'm trying to find out for you, or perhaps I'll remember by myself...

eddie

TRIBE Member
There is someone, and you might actually get some cash I've heard of settlements before. Unfortunately I can't remember the person's name! I'm trying to find out for you, or perhaps I'll remember by myself...
Thank you the name would mean alot. Before I hit that hole I was totally thinking I'm dead. Something has to be done. People should not fear thier lives cycling in toronto

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Specialized's new e-bike, illegal, fast, expensive.

Three years in development, the €5,499 Turbo, which is Specialized's first production electric bike, has been designed specifically to be "the fastest and best e-bike ever". However, its top assisted speed of 45km/h (28mph) is 13km/h faster than is allowed under US federal law and 20km/h more than is permitted in the EU*, US, and Canada.

In a letter to press and dealers, product manager Marc Faude admitted: "Due to regulatory requirements, there are many markets, including the USA, where the Turbo is simply too fast to be legal."

Key features of the new bike include a 250 watt rear hub motor, a 342Wh lithium-ion battery that's integrated into the down tube and is said to recharge in just two hours, and carbon fibre Magura MT series disc brakes with a regenerative charging feature. “You can get an hour on full speed,” Ben Delaney, Specialized’s global marketing manager told BikeRadar via email. “The engineering team has done several 40km rides at top speed on mostly flat terrain.”

There's also a wireless handlebar unit that shows power level and battery status, lets you operate the bike's integrated LED lights, and also includes normal bike computer features like speed, time and distance.

Pricing is set at €5,499 and the bike is due to go on sale in limited numbers in May, with further shipments due to arrive throughout the autumn. Specialized tell us availability will be limited to "just Europe for now". The first 50 Turbos will be sent to select dealers in April for use as demo bikes.

In his letter, Faude said: "The Specialized Turbo is a powered performance urban bike, with an integrated electric motor and battery that offers a top assisted speed of 45km/h. Whatever you do, don’t call it a pedelec – this is a new category of urban bike that looks, feels and rides unlike any other.

"The most important feature of the new Turbo is its speed – everything about its design, and every engineering decision made during the three years of development, was centred on making this bike the fastest and best e-bike ever. We're confident that we’ve succeeded. Once you ride one, we think you’ll agree."