• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Installed a set of tektro brakes and levers and wholy shit has the tech improved since I installed new brakes last. Easiest install ever ! And so easy to adjust.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member

brakes added( although i pretty much dont use them heh ) running a 43/16 ratio, also switched out pedals and seat, and cut down handle bars and got grips.

<3 riding it and while it took a little getting used to and i cant easily do some of the things i used to when riding( not yet anyways ) im really enjoying the change up so far, plus it feels like more of a work out now :)

and the slightly fatter tires, slightly lower PSI make it quite a bit more comfy a ride.

i think this frame is slightly heavier than my old giant is though.

or maybe its the flip flop hub and bigger tires.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
What kind of cable cutters do I need to cut brake cable? It looks like I also need to replace a brake cable.... I have various wire cutters around the house, and also a massive chain or cable cutter - will that do?
i just used the the wire cutting part of a shitty old pair of needle nosed pliers for the brake cables, and the cable housing/tubing.

xopus

TRIBE Member
hey glych,
if you're running fixed with those pedals you should really get straps (like the Holdfast Straps). without straps you're just asking for trouble and a whole lot of pain.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
those the fat ones that look like big velcro straps that go side to side , so its not like an actual cage?

and you talking like if my foot slips off and my calf or shin gets mangled by the pedal ?

xopus

TRIBE Member
yeah, those are the ones. they're excellent. Cages suck.
go with those, or clipless.
If you're not attached to your pedal on a fixed gear, you risk losing control of your pedals at higher speeds, and especially under braking. Plus if you feet slip off, not only are you going to take a pedal to the legs, it'll be one that has the full force of your bike behind it. you'll definitely fuck yourself up, and probably end up crashing pretty hard as well.

truthfully, i think you should just ditch the brakes, put on some straps and learn how to properly ride a fixed gear. they're not that hard, and once you figure it out, its one of the most engaging and fun riding experience out there.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Crusing down greenwood hill from danforth on my way home from work monday night, and i was flying, but able to pedal faster than my bike could coast so was having a blast, went under the bridge, came up over the little hill and was enjoying my cruise down to Gerrard, when for some awesome reason i took my feet off the pedals for a second, then i was like ' FOK ' and cruised down till i hit the lights with my legs sticking out in front and slightly out to avoid pedals bashing me legs senseless and braked to a slow enough speed to get my feet back on, very very glad i had brakes hahaha or that could have sucked.

Fixed gear riding 101, dont take feet off pedals - check( need some straps asap, and fenders.)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Crusing down greenwood hill from danforth on my way home from work monday night, and i was flying, but able to pedal faster than my bike could coast so was having a blast, went under the bridge, came up over the little hill and was enjoying my cruise down to Gerrard, when for some awesome reason i took my feet off the pedals for a second, then i was like ' FOK ' and cruised down till i hit the lights with my legs sticking out in front and slightly out to avoid pedals bashing me legs senseless and braked to a slow enough speed to get my feet back on, very very glad i had brakes hahaha or that could have sucked.

Fixed gear riding 101, dont take feet off pedals - check( need some straps asap, and fenders.)
^ This is why I need my brakes.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Not a good week in bikeland.

Picked up a new ride, Specialized Epic Expert Carbon (used). Great bike, but the rear shock blew up. Needs to be shipped out for repair for two weeks minimum.

My old bike, the front fork blew up last night. Will take a few days to repair at least.

8 hour solo mountain bike race May 26. Might not have a bike for it.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the heads up !!

as long as my frame has the correct mounting for the non clip on fenders ill get those, if not, clip ons it is, unless i can fanangle the non clip ons, on via Macgiver-esque techniques.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It is amazing how much stopping power I now have with new brake pads! $3.75 and 2 minutes for me to install, best bike repair evar.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Yeah i flipped to SS for a faster, more punishing aggressive ride today :) and its pretty crazy how nice my brakes work !

although a few times i found myself trying to slow down without brakes from riding fixie for the last week, and id forget for a second hah.

I <3 having a flip flop hub :)

kuba

TRIBE Member
I am finding it real difficult to clip out of my egg beaters after getting new clips put on my shoes, and the egg beaters are older.

Would it be that the new clips with their new design are not AS compatible?

kuba

TRIBE Member
Holy shit, how cool is crank brothers? First off Hans Rey is their phone operator "Press 1 for..." guy. More importantly, if you send in an old pair of eggbeater pedals, they will upgrade to new ones and take some $$ off the cost (MSRP). I called around and msrp on their site is x, the shops around me at least were charging 50% more.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member

anyone know where i can get a set of el toro handle bars?

Nitto RB021 Bullhorn Black ^^^

soo nice, ive been riding with a straight and bar set, and while its okie, after riding the last 6-7 years, with bull horns, i wont be using these any longer than i have to.

or anyone have a old set they want to part with ?

Last edited: