• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I'm not a terribly huge fan of trek either, but I am surprised to see how cheaply they decked out their $400 bike! The $400 kona is a better deal than the trek for sure, and at 150 the supercycle isn't bad- I wouldn't be happy to have paid 300 for it (or 400 for the trek!)
Even my $1100 Trek was a bit disappointing after I got to know it. Cheap components that at first you don't realize are cheap. But then after the bottom bracket wears out in the first season and your friend has to totally rebuild the bike after the store did it wrong I'm not too impressed with TREK :( Sold the Lexa though so now I'm onto Felt! So far so good!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
double post

My hubby picked us both up Timbuktu bags at the bike show. His is the large size courier, and mine is the size of a large purse size. We are happy with them (yes I know, matching bags husband and wife insert joke here, but he got a good deal on them :) )

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Are you sure about a backpack? I rode for years with one, but I wouldn't give up pannier bags for anything now. Better the weight on your bike than on your back! Ortlieb stuff is indeed good whether it's on your back or your bike, but expect to pay for it!
to be fair, i have not ridden with pannier bags on the bike before, i dont like the idea of a bag on just one side as it will make the bike feel imbalanced, and i dont know that i could fit everything in one side, that i can fit in my pack that i use for commuting.

so its the cost of the rack and double pannier bags, that add width to my bike, and i like to stand up and squeeze myself between some pretty tiny spots sometimes !( i am a aggressive rider ;) ) vs that bag i posted up above, which looks seriously badass, would hold all my stuff easily, and when i dont need a bag that big, my bike is unemcumbered :) although i will price out the pannier rack and bags to see the cost difference.

i would really like to ride a bike with a pannier set up to see how it feels compared to when i ride without.

--[Zirca]--;4536583 said:
That is pretty sweet.

For the cheap seats, I use this. It's a bit small though. A size up would be better.

Deuter Race X - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
yeah i think the bag i use is about 35-40L from MEC cost me about 50$, couldnt find it on their site anymore. while it works, i would like something specifically designed to be comfortable when riding.

i think its a bit bigger than yours.
glych t.anomaly

I bought this messanger bag & pannier a few months ago and I've been very happy with it, looks good, functions well

Shift Pannier Messenger - Timbuk2 Bags

I bought it in the States, but it looks like MEC just started carrying it
Timbuk2 Shift Pannier - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
nice, if i go the pannier route with racks i would consider it, but after riding as a courier in this city, and having a Under The Weather – Cycling Lifestyle Bags and Accessories » Heavy Gear Extra Large Messenger Bag – Product Details this already i choose to go with two straps vs one, for comfort and muscle fatigue mitigation.

double post

My hubby picked us both up Timbuktu bags at the bike show. His is the large size courier, and mine is the size of a large purse size. We are happy with them (yes I know, matching bags husband and wife insert joke here, but he got a good deal on them :) )
i currntly have a little mid size Timbuktu bag for riding around the city when im just cruising and dont need more with me than my wallet and basic shit i carry around with me for day to day riding, its light and so i dont mind just one shoulder strap, but dont use it for commuting.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I've commuted to work 365 downtown for the last 5 years and I also ride through the financial district and the busiest streets and squeaking between tight spots and I've never found the pannier bag to be an imposition or an inconvenience in terms of getting through "tight spots", I really never even notice the weight displacement ever, only unless the bag is PACKED with groceries/weight. And even then I'd much rather have all that weight on the rack of the bike securely, rather than weighing down my back.

Panniers / Bike rack = great thing ever. I look back at my 1 year of commuting cycling before I had them as like the "dark ages".

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
you riding with one or two bags daily? and do you distribute evenly?

i always tend to notice and imbalance of weight on my bike when riding, maybe im slightly obsessive and OCD about it, but i dont even like the weight of my bike lock on my bike, and i HATE it when shit rattles to much on my bike when riding.

hence why i have always been skeptikal about investing in the pannier rack and bags.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I have several pannier bags, but every day when I commute I just use one largish bag, on one side and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't notice a difference in balance until I put it up on the kickstand. Try and put this on your back!

And, as you can see, even fully loaded with camping gear it's still not much wider than the bars.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member

That's the bag I ride to work with every day. No issues. I do recommend getting a waterproof one, definitely worth the extra (unless you don't ride in the rain!)

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
I have several pannier bags, but every day when I commute I just use one largish bag, on one side and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't notice a difference in balance until I put it up on the kickstand. Try and put this on your back!

And, as you can see, even fully loaded with camping gear it's still not much wider than the bars.
Dude, are those car tires on the side of your bike?

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
How hard is re-cable road brakes/levers?

I'm switching from Road Bars to Riser Bars on my bike and don't want to wait for my May 16th "Appointment" at the bike shop.

Is it something one can learn from watching Youtube videos about it?

HC_P

TRIBE Member

I'm switching from Road Bars to Riser Bars on my bike and don't want to wait for my May 16th "Appointment" at the bike shop.

I haven't done it myself, but it should be straight forward. Besides, if you mess it up, you have your appointment as a safety net - unless you plan on riding to your appointment!

Are your road levers also shifters, or standalone levers? I've been toying with the idea if switching myself. Did you have to buy anything specific to make the switch, or just slapping the new bar in?

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member

It's not a tough job. However, unless you are really determined to give one shop your business, I think you could probably find one that could do the job sooner than 3 weeks from now.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
I haven't done it myself, but it should be straight forward. Besides, if you mess it up, you have your appointment as a safety net - unless you plan on riding to your appointment!

Are your road levers also shifters, or standalone levers? I've been toying with the idea if switching myself. Did you have to buy anything specific to make the switch, or just slapping the new bar in?
I converted an old road bike to a single speed (not fixie) so I did have to buy new brake levers. I just bought some simple Tektro Mountain bike levers, the 2 finger ones.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Which mountain bike levers did you get?
You need cable cutters to do the job. It's not to hard to slap together, more difficult to do properly.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Which mountain bike levers did you get?
You need cable cutters to do the job. It's not to hard to slap together, more difficult to do properly.
I got these small Tektro mountain bike levers.
You are spot-on about the cable cutters though!!
I thought I had a decent set of cutters but they didnt cut shit, so I had
to abort last night, I couldnt even cut through the metal wire on the cable housing wtf!

Im getting some decent cable cutters tonight and I will keep going.

All in all, I've learned a lot while doing this conversion. I didn't even know what a hub was at first. Wish me luck on the brake job!

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
The bike is finished and I did it all myself! :D

I think my rear brake needs replacing though, when I pull its mostly on side that squeezes but then only one side goes back when I release the lever. I dont know if the brake is bad or maybe it just needs a real bike mech to look at it and adjust it somehow.

Im pretty pleased with myself.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
The bike is finished and I did it all myself! :D

I think my rear brake needs replacing though, when I pull its mostly on side that squeezes but then only one side goes back when I release the lever. I dont know if the brake is bad or maybe it just needs a real bike mech to look at it and adjust it somehow.

Im pretty pleased with myself.
Look for a hex grub screw on the brake arms that attach to the frame... These screws allow you to centre the arms to rim so they pull even against it...

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
There is no centering adjustment on your brakes. That's a different kind of brakes than what you have.

BTW- do you have a model number for the levers you bought? There are two different pull ratios, and it has to match your brakes.

As far as getting the brakes aligned, you can try loosening the attachment bolt, centering the brake and re-tightening it. Also lubricate the springs where the contact the arms that sometimes helps. You should also check the play between the arms. It should still open and close, but there shouldn't be any slop in the mechanism. If there is, they need to be adjusted, but usually will require a specialized wrench to do that.

You should also file or grind down the end of the cable housings to get a better contact with the ferrule. The cable housing you used has a spirally wound wire molded into it rather than longitudinally right? If the wire strands in the housing are longitudinal do NOT ride this bike until you get the proper housing unless you like taking big risks.

If in doubt about something, look up Sheldon Brown on google and spend a few days reading his articles! If you want to borrow the special tools, and speak with someone who has at least basic knowledge check out Bike Pirates on Bloor @ Landsdowne.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I did a search but it's no working.

I_Brad what bike set-up do you use with your boy? I'm considering getting a Yepp front seat now that my guy is nearly a year old. Best helmet? Thanks!

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
There is no centering adjustment on your brakes. That's a different kind of brakes than what you have.

BTW- do you have a model number for the levers you bought? There are two different pull ratios, and it has to match your brakes.

As far as getting the brakes aligned, you can try loosening the attachment bolt, centering the brake and re-tightening it. Also lubricate the springs where the contact the arms that sometimes helps. You should also check the play between the arms. It should still open and close, but there shouldn't be any slop in the mechanism. If there is, they need to be adjusted, but usually will require a specialized wrench to do that.

You should also file or grind down the end of the cable housings to get a better contact with the ferrule. The cable housing you used has a spirally wound wire molded into it rather than longitudinally right? If the wire strands in the housing are longitudinal do NOT ride this bike until you get the proper housing unless you like taking big risks.

If in doubt about something, look up Sheldon Brown on google and spend a few days reading his articles! If you want to borrow the special tools, and speak with someone who has at least basic knowledge check out Bike Pirates on Bloor @ Landsdowne.
Thanks Brad!

The levers I got are the "Tektro RT354 Linear & Cantilever Pull Brake Levers"

My brakes are just some simple caliper Dia Compe road bike brakes. The front brakes work perfectly,
its just the rear one that sucks.

Sheldon Brown is awesome! I've been reading his site for awhile now and have learned a lot! He convinced me that attempting to restore an early 70's French made Peugeot would not be a good idea taking into consideration my budget. haha. French threading??

Yes I will problably pay Bike Pirates a visit this weekend to see if they can help me fix this thing.

Last edited:

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Girl Pedals

So my lady has been trying to find some good grippy pedals that will work with all kinds of shoes. Sneaks, slippery flats etc...She rides a single speed road bike.

I got her a really nice set of MKS Sylvan Pedals and the first day she took a nasty tumble. Her foot slipped off the pedal (wearing flats) and somehow ended up in her wheel, she then flipped over her handlebars. Good thing she wasnt going fast or had cars behind her.
Since then I bought her the half-cage for them to prevent her foot from sliding forward but she can't get used to them.

Would BMX pedals do the trick? the ones with the little spikes?

Thoughts female shoe friendly pedals?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
those big fat metal bmx pedals are great for lots of surface, decent grip( although i have never rode in flats ;) )

i was using cages, but didnt like my feet locked in when commuting on my bike, so i got a set of these, and they work well in dry and wet conditions, i have ridden on these pedals in rubber soled dress shoes, vibram five fingers, normal sneakers, flip flops, and most cycle shops carry them and mine were around i think 25-30$?

i had a couple of spills last year when riding, and didnt like that the main reason i fell was cause i coulndt get my feet out of the cage in time when starting to tip.