• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Did everyone quit biking this year? This thread is dead. Maybe it's because the trail conditions have been so epic this year that everyone's just out riding. I think I've logged over 30 rides (mtn/road) already this year.

Hoping to hit Kelso tomorrow.

What's everyone's top 5 riding locations in the GTA/surrounding area? I'm looking to switch things up this year. The usual spots for me are:

1. The Don
2. Kelso
3. Hardwood

The more technical the better. :D

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I ride all day when I am in Toronto. In the city, over crappy roads and streetcar tracks, in and out of traffic.... That seems pretty technical to me :)

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
So, had my first wipe out. I was preparing to turn left and so I needed to go to the middle lane. I thought I had a good enough angle for the streetcar tracks, but my tire still got caught and I went flying.

I think I'm just going to avoid left turns on parallel tracks and walk my bike across the crosswalk. There's only one situation like that on my commute to work.

Ripped a brand new coat. Thought my bike was fucked up but then was relieved to find that the handlebars are adjustable. I'm lucky there was no one behind me.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
--[Zirca]--;4535257 said:
What's everyone's top 5 riding locations in the GTA/surrounding area? I'm looking to switch things up this year. The usual spots for me are:

1. The Don
2. Kelso
3. Hardwood

The more technical the better. :D
We ride all year round off road (studded tires help). Summer we ride more dh

Favorites :
Blue
Mono Cliffs
Kolapore
The Don
Nashville Tract./Dingle/Glen Haffy

We also prefer technical

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Anyone have any suggestions for a new or used commuter or hybrid for someone looking to upgrade from a beater to something a bit better? Not looking to break $400.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
400 bucks new will get you decent entrylevel ish. If you know someone who knows bikes and don't mind shopping around you could get a nicer used one in that range.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Can someone recommend a good riding pack. i dont like the way saddle bags look/function, and i dont like the added weight on my bike, for some reason i feel like i ride better when the bike is balanced.

i am currently using a MEC pack now, but would like something a little more compartmentalized. i need it big enough to carry a change of clothes, and my lunch( generally 2 tupperware dishes) waterproof for all weather riding( i do have a shell that goes around my current pack but dont mind the extra security)

i prefer two straps to one, as i find even with a big broad strap, it is alot of weight for one shoulder.

my ride is 30 mins each way( 10 km each way, up 3km from last year !) so im looking for something comfy, durable, and form fitting that doesnt roll around or move alot.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Anyone have any suggestions for a new or used commuter or hybrid for someone looking to upgrade from a beater to something a bit better? Not looking to break $400.
CDN Tire has one on sale 1/2 price. Its about $150 bucks this week. I know CCM has a bad rep, but their quality is good and if you're going to use it in the city and keep your bike in good shape, this is a pretty good deal. IMO

Supercycle Tempo 700C Road Bike | Canadian Tire

xopus

TRIBE Member
Can someone recommend a good riding pack. i dont like the way saddle bags look/function, and i dont like the added weight on my bike, for some reason i feel like i ride better when the bike is balanced.

i am currently using a MEC pack now, but would like something a little more compartmentalized. i need it big enough to carry a change of clothes, and my lunch( generally 2 tupperware dishes) waterproof for all weather riding( i do have a shell that goes around my current pack but dont mind the extra security)

i prefer two straps to one, as i find even with a big broad strap, it is alot of weight for one shoulder.

my ride is 30 mins each way( 10 km each way, up 3km from last year !) so im looking for something comfy, durable, and form fitting that doesnt roll around or move alot.
i love my Ortlieb, but its not very compartmentalized. The next bag i plan to purchase is a Mission Workshops, but they're not cheap. great construction though, and more compartments then the Ortlieb's.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
CDN Tire has one on sale 1/2 price. Its about $150 bucks this week. I know CCM has a bad rep, but their quality is good and if you're going to use it in the city and keep your bike in good shape, this is a pretty good deal. IMO

Supercycle Tempo 700C Road Bike | Canadian Tire
This is NOT a good bike. CCM's made in Weston were/are good. CCMs made in CHina... not so much. Expect to pay a shop $40 to put it together properly on top of the initial cost, and if you're using it regularly you'll find the cheap components don't hold their adjustment very long, and don't last that long either. As mentioned above, 400 gets you a decent entry level bike or a good used bike. The bike above is for riding once or twice a year around the sub division or riding to the comfort station/beach at the yearly provincial park trip.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Are you sure about a backpack? I rode for years with one, but I wouldn't give up pannier bags for anything now. Better the weight on your bike than on your back! Ortlieb stuff is indeed good whether it's on your back or your bike, but expect to pay for it!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
This is NOT a good bike. CCM's made in Weston were/are good. CCMs made in CHina... not so much. Expect to pay a shop $40 to put it together properly on top of the initial cost, and if you're using it regularly you'll find the cheap components don't hold their adjustment very long, and don't last that long either. As mentioned above, 400 gets you a decent entry level bike or a good used bike. The bike above is for riding once or twice a year around the sub division or riding to the comfort station/beach at the yearly provincial park trip.
I see what you're saying. I know CCM was made really well back in the day, but when you compare the specks of that CCM bike to a low end trek same style (<$400) there really isn't much difference in the components.

Granted the build is shit by CDN tire (I take this for granted as I build/repair bikes all throughout HS back in the day, so any bike I get I tear down a put back together) but its not that bad if you're budget conscious and aren't going to ride the hell out of it. I get paying more if its going to be a 9-5 bike but its not that off of similar bikes with similar price points.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I'm not a terribly huge fan of trek either, but I am surprised to see how cheaply they decked out their $400 bike! The $400 kona is a better deal than the trek for sure, and at 150 the supercycle isn't bad- I wouldn't be happy to have paid 300 for it (or 400 for the trek!)