• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Not if you've got good mudflaps! Especially on the front wheel. about half of my ride is off-road anyhow! That's why I say "weather permitting"-- depends if there is too much snow on the trail to ride through!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I got a new bike, it'ss a FELT, Road bike. Had the trek but couldn't get the right fit even though it was the right size frame. Anyone looking to buy a one year old small sized road bike :p

I am making the switch to clipless pedals, so I just set my new bike up on the trainer so I can practice clipping in and out befoe I take it on the road, :O

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
I got a new bike, it'ss a FELT, Road bike. Had the trek but couldn't get the right fit even though it was the right size frame. Anyone looking to buy a one year old small sized road bike :p

I am making the switch to clipless pedals, so I just set my new bike up on the trainer so I can practice clipping in and out befoe I take it on the road, :O
Most shops will tell you to take your bike to a park or field to practice the 1st few times clipping and unclipping. Congrats on the FELT, nice bikes.

HC_P

TRIBE Member
Got out today. It's was nice and warm, but the wind was brutal!

I'm hoping to get out a few more times this week - the weather is going to be awesome :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
Went for my first offroad ride up in Durham (not forest) on Sunday. Was wicked riding thru grass, fields, forest, ice, then dirt. Can't wait!

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
2nd road ride this year today. Awesome considering it's only the start of March. I agree it was windy as hell out, but as mentioned, better than the trainer.

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
Rode the Don yesterday. Also rode over to the Brickworks and checked it out. Hung out at the DJs. Some muddy sections but it was so much fun we're going back today

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I took my bike in to Trek yesterday to get tuned up. I also asked them to install my bike computer for me as I tried to install it myself but no luck. They called me as i left the store to say that my chain needs replacing. I'm like 'what? why?' and he said that 'it's toast'.. so i agreed and then went back to the store bc i wanted to know why as I literally bought my bike last July and stopped riding in October (I don't ride in cold weather haha). He goes 'how many KM's have you ridden' .. and supposedly over 1200k you need to replace your chain. I did a lot of riding in the short time i had it.. to and from work, 50 k rides on Saturdays (every saturday), Duathlon, rode to Niagara, rode to Pickering.. so i think i went way over 1,000! wow.

Can't wait to get my bike back March 28th to start riding to and from work starting April 1st :)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
The Trek store does not know what they are doing, probably a bunch of teenagers working part time jobs there.

I bought a trek bike last year from the TRek store, after a month my friend basically had to take the bike apart and put it back together since it was assenmbled wrong.

Also they use some cheap parts, I had to replace the bottom bracket after one season (about 1000kms). I never had my bike tuned there even though they would do it for free since I bought it there.

It's a bit strange they told you to buy a new chain. Are they replacing your cables? you need to replace cables more oftern. Are you good with riding your gears? If you ride in the wrong combination of gearing it can prematurely wear out the chain. I think this happens more on a mountain bike with three rings at the front then a road bike that just has two though...

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
I took my bike in to Trek yesterday to get tuned up. I also asked them to install my bike computer for me as I tried to install it myself but no luck. They called me as i left the store to say that my chain needs replacing. I'm like 'what? why?' and he said that 'it's toast'.. so i agreed and then went back to the store bc i wanted to know why as I literally bought my bike last July and stopped riding in October (I don't ride in cold weather haha). He goes 'how many KM's have you ridden' .. and supposedly over 1200k you need to replace your chain. I did a lot of riding in the short time i had it.. to and from work, 50 k rides on Saturdays (every saturday), Duathlon, rode to Niagara, rode to Pickering.. so i think i went way over 1,000! wow.

Can't wait to get my bike back March 28th to start riding to and from work starting April 1st :)
I've got about 3000 km on my bike and the chain is only starting to wear. I'd ask them what the deal is.

spaboy

TRIBE Member
I oil my chain up every 3 days more often if a cleaning is involved on some days. Take good care of your drive train and you'll get more love from it :)

The new toy has arrived!

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
The Trek store does not know what they are doing, probably a bunch of teenagers working part time jobs there.

I bought a trek bike last year from the TRek store, after a month my friend basically had to take the bike apart and put it back together since it was assenmbled wrong.

Also they use some cheap parts, I had to replace the bottom bracket after one season (about 1000kms). I never had my bike tuned there even though they would do it for free since I bought it there.

It's a bit strange they told you to buy a new chain. Are they replacing your cables? you need to replace cables more oftern. Are you good with riding your gears? If you ride in the wrong combination of gearing it can prematurely wear out the chain. I think this happens more on a mountain bike with three rings at the front then a road bike that just has two though...
I'm not sure.. i dont know much about bikes. I haven't really heard any complaints from the Trek store on Yonge, mostly everyone i knows go there, I had one friend who swears by them. I did do a ton of riding last year.. i rode everywhere. I didn't have time to call up a friend and get them to come with me as i wanted to get my bike tuned now so that I could start riding it April 1st..

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
You have to get a new chain every time one wears out. It might be 500kms on a cheap chain ridden daily in mud, or 10000kms ridden on clean roads and sunny days with lots of maintenance. There is no specific distance. If anyone tells you that find a better mechanic.

A chain is worn out when the distance between 2 pins 12" apart becomes 12 1/16"
If you change it early enough you can get more than one chain out of a cassette (the gears on the back) It doesn't really matter if you've got a $10 freewheel on the back, but if you've got a $200 fancy cassette that's kind of a big savings.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
yeah I am going to learn bike maintenance this year, bc i don't know anything about bikes so i just take ppl's word for it.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Kelso was great this afternoon. Trails were open and dry for the most parts. A few parts to avoid here and there.

There's a slight chance Albion will open this weekend, if not they should open Easter weekend.

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
There's a slight chance Albion will open this weekend, if not they should open Easter weekend.
Albion trails are still closed for mtb. (I live in Caledon)
We rode Dufferin last weekend and this weekend we rode Mono Cliffs ... both places are dry and trails are in top form.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders