• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

For the Cyclists in Tribeland.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Kuba- have you tried cycle solutions?

Also Gears has opened up a new shop eglinton/laird way so they're probably keen to offer good service.

kuba

TRIBE Member
my dilemma is,

the bike is 5 years old. that being said I've almost always bought used, just more bang-for-buck.

If I spend $1400 all-in today, what can I get, vs a topline bike from 5 years ago (that's still relevant)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

spaboy

TRIBE Member
1400 all in will get you deore/slx mix at best. With a Tora or Recon up front. I'll check some of my clear outs and see if there's anything extra special that's old stock from my dealers.

I may have a Scale from last year. I think it's a Scale 30 though which is full carbon. Will be off budget.

Last edited:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Do they still make the s-works in the usa Kuba?

Zirca has an s-works thats a few years older and it's still an awesome bike even by today's standards. It's a really nice ride.

kuba

TRIBE Member
@spaboy

check what you got.
no not carbon, last year of aluminum m5 frame.

@brad, see that's what I mean - the gruppo is $1400 :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

spaboy

TRIBE Member
That I am. I work at Cyclemotive @ Queen & Bath.

Checked the old stock of bikes Kuba. Nothing ultra special in a medium. The most popular size. I noticed the Specialized you're looking at is an 18. There is a Giant XTC Advanced. Full carbon with Xt trimins. Nice bike. For like 2g's. It's a small though.

Cri

TRIBE Member
The bf and I deal with cycle solutions in the beaches. I love them there. They are super nice and really good to us!

I'm curious what the new gears will be like. I go to the one in sauga when I need to because I live super close. But other than a few nice staff members...a lot of them have questionable attitudes :/

Deus

TRIBE Member
Here is my baby with the new hoops. Kinda stiff, and the braking sucks when the wheels are wet, but whatever. They're pretty fast.
I've decided that I hate the way 'under the saddle' bags look, so all my tools and spare tube and stuff, are in one of the water bottles.

That's too much carbon. YOu're gonna have to pay carbon taxes for that ;)

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

kuba

TRIBE Member
this bike sounds like a good stopgap in the meantime

Medium 17.5" Devinci Desperado XT
Devinci Desperado - Great bike for the rider looking for an affordable high end bike. As this bike has been previously enjoyed there is minor wear on the frame from chain slap and on the crank arms. Bike has recently been serviced with full overhaul on Drive train with new cables and new chain. This Bike is ready to hit the Trails!

$500!

spaboy

TRIBE Member
I'll take rain over 40k headwinds any day. Christ the wind has been relentless. Cleared up just in time for my bike to be in pieces :( New rig arriving in a week and a half!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Phat Trick

TRIBE Promoter
40k headwinds are awesome. You just have to start your ride into the wind, and then you get a 40k tailwind on the way home. The way I see it is riding in the wind makes you faster/stronger! Just like hills.
Personally, I'm ok riding in a little drizzle, but I'm not comfortable riding in full-on rain.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Found what I want, used.

2006 s-works, m5 hardtail. New $4500+tax back in 06 (us pricing).
Guy asking $1700, will sell for $1400-$1500, haven't ironed out the exact price yet.
Specialized S-Works M5 18 inch - Pinkbike.com
Crossmax, xt/r, etc,

good price?

you can't go wrong with an S-works. Mines a 2000 (or maybe even 1999) and it still rides great. Every year I think it's going to finally pack it in and it just doesn't (I thank Brad for part of this). I also don't ride it lightly or infrequently. I'm out at least once or twice a week all spring/summer/fall and put it through hell. Still in great shape.

Specialized is like the Burton of bikes. You pay a bit of a premium, but in my mind it's well worth it (better resale value too).

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
loving my ride to work and back.

7.1km takes about 25 mins riding at a good pace. The one thing i have noticed is how fast this bike is compared to my old bike, as well, riding a single speed, going up what i used to consider a somewhat easy grade incline, is not as easy as i remember lol.

overall quite pleased.

[jai]

kuba

TRIBE Member
Greetings Riders.

My friend bought a bike on pinkbike.com. Was told there was no problems with the frame, yadda yadda. Went to see it and inspected it pretty thoroughly but kept wheels on.

Brought it to a bikeshop for a tuneup, guy takes off rear tire, and calls him immediately. Says frame is compromised because the tire used was too fat for the chainstay (?) rear triangle thing, and has rubbed off some four layers of the carbon (!!?)

Picture attached.

It's a 2010 scott scale 30 I believe, not sure, but as a third owner, does he have any recourse? He contacted the seller who is holding off on taking it back because he claims there was nothing wrong with it. This happened 2 days ago (the sale) so it's not like this is an overnight crack, but a long-term rubbing down of the frame.

HELP!

What would you do, what would Jesus do, what to do?

I'm kidding about Jesus.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories