1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

for the apple haters

Discussion in 'Technology' started by kyfe, Aug 20, 2010.

1. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

So at my past couple of gigs my laptop would crash, I've tried everything to get it working again but it was a big fail. Eventually I succomed to the fact that it may be the logic board that's fried or the HD.

Booked a Genius bar appointment yesterday, the guy ran diagnostics and concluded it was in fact the logic board. It appears there is a problem with the onboard video card and it was the video card that was causing the malfunction. This went hand in hand with my upgrade to Safari 5.0 which is when the problem really started.

Anyway the silverlining is that it is something that they will replace for free even though my MBP is 3 years old. I have never received such easy service with electronics, nor have i had to fight with someone to be accountable for the problem, nor was I told it's Nvida's problem and sent away.

the dude told me he'd personally take care of it tonight for me and assurred me everything is fine and just to be safe he will check the HD for me as well. For me this is huge as I have a gig in 7 days and next month in the UK so I need to know my lappy is once again reliable.

Thank you Apple for such logical customer service and standing behind your product, to me this type of service is worth the premium people slag apple for.

2. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

A month or so before my 3 year Applecare was up, I brought my MBP to a store cause I was getting a tons of issues (crashing/freezing)... Withing a few days I had a new Logic board & a new battery for free...

I don't think they'll hesitate to replace parts as long as it's under warranty.

3. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

i have a wonky macbook at the moment. How do you book a genius appt. ?

4. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I thought you just sold yours? did you buy another MBP?

yeah just book it through the apple store site. usually you can get an appt same day and it's no cost to you

6. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

Interesting. I had the same problem with a 2-year old MBP and had it checked at the Genius bar. They said I'd have to replace the logic board for $900 so I bought a new machine.

Think I'll make another appointment to see if it's video card related.

7. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

8. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

Ah, bummer. Mine wouldn't even start up so it looks like I'm SOL.

9. DJ Vuvu Zela

Does it have an 8600 card?

if it does it's still worth a shot to make an appointment. Just say you had video problems before it crapped out.

10. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

replacing the logic board under that REP requires a special diagnostic code from a tool that checks specifically for that issue..if the machine doesn't boot, you can't run the tool and get the code..no code=no replacement logic board.

11. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

my logic board caused my mbp to crash or freeze quite a bit. I remember having a lot of firewire issues as well. No real issues with video or display however.

12. DJ Vuvu Zela

^^ but you were still under applecare. They have to fix it if you still have warranty.

13. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

Thats great. Ive never had to replace a motherboard on a PC in my ten or so years of owning them.

Glad to hear that Jobs looked after you though!

14. deepfunkysoul

deepfunkysoul TRIBE Promoter

Bitter sweet I guess... Well at least you got it fixed for now. The sad part is that you're not actually getting a redesigned board with chips that are free from defect. I won't rain on your parade... much but you should be aware that the apple has only replaced it with the same faulty board. Now its just underclocked. That goes for both board and graphic chip to prevent it from over heating and causing the board to fail. This isn't just with MBP it actually effects all MAC products. There were countless investigative reports done and you can find them all over the net.

Since you did bring it up...getting a refurbished board is not what i would call getting you moneys worth premium. Especially since your not getting a new board and it is still defective.

And to be perfectly honest I have never had a PC go down with a bad motherboard unless some newbie decided to try and overclock a cheap EMC or PC Chips branded mobo. In that case you get what you pay for.

Anyways I would keep a record of any unusual glitches and if you really wanna check how underclocked your system is there are tools out there that will tell you what the stock speed is and what your operating speed is.

Apple played it safe and hid all the change in the Firmware aka EFI so people wouldn't figure it out.

15. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Links please

16. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

ill second the request for links.

17. deepfunkysoul

apple products underclocked - Bing

If you're really curious just look for the tools riva tuner, gpu-z and GPU Caps Viewer these are for windows only so hopefully your running a dual boot setup. Have yet to find one for osx.

18. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

specific links please, that's a search page.

19. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

it was a new LB and it has a different video card on board. the problem was specific to the NVidea card and not the LB, just to clarify.

either way I noticed a huge difference so I'm happy and I can Dj again without the worry of having it crash.

20. DJ Vuvu Zela

21. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

the nvidia GPU is an integral part of the logic board. there is no "card" that can be removed the way you might be thinking..a failed GPU results in a whole board swap

22. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

LB was replaced.

Nvidea onboard VC was the problem.

23. deepfunkysoul

So what your saying is that apple redesigned the board for you and put different chip on it. lol Wow.

I guess the only thing that matters is that your happy. Ignorance is bliss.

As for the rest of you asking for links Bing it or goggle it. I don't have the time to go through the countless articles and discussions. In the end it really is your preference what you use and what you believe. In my experience there is no company that is perfect. I have worked for some of the top companies and there is always catch. All I'm saying is apple is no different.

I can only show you door you must walk through it. ;)

24. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

So you're lying?

25. deepfunkysoul

Yes I'm lying acheron. Does that make you feel all warm and fuzzy. :p