• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Footwork has closed

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
After my residency at Element was cut short due to the bar unexpectedly shutting down...I chatted with Joel (we shared a res in Hamilton together) about a series of rather small warehouse parties he was planning at an old movie studio...and he asked me to take on a night for them. Those parties escalated into something that was truly unique, and set things in motion to what was to be FW. I was asked to take on some nights at FW in the early days....and had the honour of playing the first record every at FW, during a soft opening with JDub and myself. The first year was an uphill battle as we all struggled with the transition from warehouse to club...and there were times we thought that it may not work...but Steph and Joel made some great moves and really made a permanent impression on the city. Great run boys, onto other things I'm sure.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
My life has moved to different stage than it was 8 years ago. Did not know that Footworks was even still around. For real, going out to dj's and clubs is not really what my life is about now. Work, family, my house, riding my bike, beign active, and now I am back in school working on my Masters.

I'm boring..... and old. But I like it that way. lol.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JamesM

TRIBE Member
So this actually did happen last night.

Toronto is loosing a true legend. Last time we were there we caught Stacey Pullen. Easily one of the best footwork experiences I've had.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
My life has moved to different stage than it was 8 years ago. Did not know that Footworks was even still around. For real, going out to dj's and clubs is not really what my life is about now. Work, family, my house, riding my bike, beign active, and now I am back in school working on my Masters.
But still posting in threads about nightclub.

8 years is an incredible run for a nightclub, especially one that runs after hours. I was there the first night from Jdub any many thereafter. Can't say I felt the vibe as much in recent years there, but I can certainly marvel at the run.

And to those of us that are old and do all the things lucky1 does, but still manage to find time to hit the dance floor occasionally, I think we're better rounded people for it.

Doug.M.

TRIBE Member
this is sad news! Being married with a 3.5yr old, and a mortgage, living up in Orangeville, needles to say, I don't get out much anymore. Once, maybe twice per year if I am lucky. This was my go-to spot as the music was usually what I was looking to dance to. I guess my night out this year will be Oct. 19th.

maphi

TRIBE Member
My life has moved to different stage than it was 8 years ago. Did not know that Footworks was even still around.
Footwork may be closing, but "Footworks" will live forever... Just ask anyone who still parties at Systems.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
But still posting in threads about nightclub.

8 years is an incredible run for a nightclub, especially one that runs after hours. I was there the first night from Jdub any many thereafter. Can't say I felt the vibe as much in recent years there, but I can certainly marvel at the run.

And to those of us that are old and do all the things lucky1 does, but still manage to find time to hit the dance floor occasionally, I think we're better rounded people for it.
hah I still manage to hit the dance floor occassionally, but Footwork has not been my destination for a long time. ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Last time I visited Footwork was 2010. The last time I had a good time at Footwork was 2008. Twice over a few months' span, in fact. Murat, then Robert Hood. Standout nights, danced my ass off. Then the button-down shirt/3" heels/shoulder-to-shoulder-hokey-pokey-fist-pump-dance crowd honed in on the place and that was that.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Whoa! Last time I was at footwork was 2007 haha. I've only gone a handful of times. I didn't like paying the cover prices.. $15 was too much for me, so i always went to either FREE or $5 places. I used to go to the big ticketed events in 1999/2000 but stopped. Last big electronic event I went to was Labour of Love a few years ago.

Taro

TRIBE Member
the end of an institution - the few times I"ve played there - it has been great - the many times I"ve partied there - it has been great - it will be missed (even from me in ottawa - where will I go to see top acts anymore when I come to visit - or when I plan to return to toronto?)

BAd Luck

TRIBE Member
Good riddance; that place devolved into douche central ages ago. Industry it was not.
I am sooo tired of people crying for Industry days. ffs, it has been a while.

true for everyone. I never went to fw with the intention of fly tying.

I'm boring..... and old. But I like it that way. lol.
-1 Insightful

So this actually did happen last night.

Toronto is loosing a true legend. Last time we were there we caught Stacey Pullen. Easily one of the best footwork experiences I've had.
ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, you see Stacey Pullen is a winnar.baconpan

doodle slax

TRIBE Member
I am sooo tired of people crying for Industry days. ffs, it has been a while.
It has been a while; thirteen years to be exact. I'm guessing you never experienced it for yourself if you can't understand why it's still considered legendary well over a decade after closing it's doors. The club scene in Toronto has never been able reproduce Industry's magic, but System, Element, and 99 Sudbury came close.