1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Flying Lotus etc. not really a review..

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Sep 4, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Got into Opera House towards the last part of mymanhenri's set after a totally unecessary hassle from the security guy out front (more on that perhaps later): it was "alright", but really the kind of beats that would have been nice to hear on the streetcar for the ride over, not something really worth standing around for.

And how much standing around there was!
    Total sausage fest, predominantly tall white guys who kind of bopped their heads on occasion, whose feet pretty well never moved, who would almost knock you over as they went back and forth - a phenomenal amount of collective unconscious inertia in that room, wow.

Then Flying Lotus came on and took it up a notch, but only just barely. Those kinds of bpm suit music that should be played with live instruments: you can only watch someone vaguely bopping and tweaking dials so long for that kind of stuff - it was almost like a Lenny Kravitz pace, but much more mechanical, so nothing swampy funky about it.

$25 I could have spent on something much more gratifying - oh well, live and learn.

Not one to endure discomfort as there was no hope of "money's worth" (whatever that means), I bailed after about 4-5 tracks, and realized that I like parties that are more "urban" on all kinds of levels: the beats, the energy, the style of the people (and I'm not talking about all dolled up, I'm just talking about some level of interest).

Took the streetcar over to Toika (once again, those beats would have been fine for the ride), for some techno-ish beats that were sometimes fun, sometimes a bit too gallopey.
    Very small "crowd", but sympatique for a while.

Then up to College Street Bar where the energy level was definitely higher. Got there as (I think) Chiclet was laying down some fun stuff, got a bit of a dance on there.
    Stayed until not long after last call - some things worked for me, others not, but that was all fine.

It was walking home that I passed Sutra and heard what probably would have suited my feet the best. Went in and told the guys who were hanging around the tables - they said they do this every Friday - I have no clue who they are.

So just one of those wandering "I'm a tourist" nights.

Now, the security guy story:

I get to the front of Opera House, there's a security guy, fine, no line-up, he's the kind who is big in a blobby way, stretching that blech golf style black "security" shirt. He's not even looking at me.
    I say "good evening" and move towards the door.
    He asks if I have id - needless to say I'm way past the age where this would be a fake compliment.
    So I reply that no, I don't ever carry id. He says I must show some. I explain (sigh, so tedious) that it's ok, I have a 27 year old daughter, and keep moving towards the door.

He raises his voice "ma'am, you can't walk away from me, you are supposed to be polite and say 'I'm sorry I didn't bring any', then I can give you a stamp, you shouldn't be rude".
    Argh. I wasn't rude at all; I'm not like that.
    So I sigh, tell him I was not rude, stand there, hold out my wrist, and he stamps it.
    Quel imbecile. Classic example of a small person given some level of authority, and feels the need to hurl it at people, like a bad customs officer. Sooooo tedious really.
    Rant over.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. 2blu_

2blu_ TRIBE Member

i totally agree with your review, although i wasnt there.

stumbled upon a flying lotus album release thinger earlier in the year.. like i walked into the twilight zone. vapid empty expressions with awkward head nods. i dont get the allure of 'experimental whatever' being played out at 'big' venues.

glad i went to FAKE BLOOD instead and had a KICK ASS TIME

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    rub it in why don't you :p

4. 2blu_

2blu_ TRIBE Member

FAKE BLOOD brought the MURDER!

danced all through his set and sweat my arss off!.. not one time did i stand around and see ppl trying to catch a beat to nod their head to. one stop, no party hop for this guy!

FULLY SATISFIED FOR $25!!

:D

5. JoshuaReid

JoshuaReid TRIBE Member

I am by no means trying to troll this thread or be a dick (after all, i'm not an active user and I don't know you), just making an observation from a different point of view. Why don't you bring ID with you?

I used to work in a bar, where I would always get shit on by people who didn't bring their ID's, "even though they are LONNNGGG past the age" and then when I wasn't getting shit on by them, I would get shit on by my managers saying that "everyone by liquor law (if liquor inspector were to come in) is required to present valid photo ID or the establishment would be at risk of getting a fine, etc""

I just never have understood the mentality of "I shouldn't have to bring ID with me, because I'm way past 19". And I'm not just looking at ID for going into some sort of establishment which sells liquor. What if you got smooshed by a car/streetcar/bus/train and your body/face becomes unrecognizable? Wouldn't it just be that much easier if they could grab your wallet and know exactly who you are and who to contact?

I should repeat that I am in NO way trying to single you out or pick on you in order to get a heated response. I just would like to understand because it is something that always bugged me.

6. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Reasonable question deserves a reasonable response.
    I don't carry id with me because I don't carry anything that I might lose with me when I go out!
    No purse, pockets organized with cellphone in one, cash in the other, lipstick and metropass in the remaining two.

I also find the concept of "id" in this province a bit odd, in that the basic artifact that is considered ID is something that implies you drive a car. And yes, I have a driver's license, but why would I carry that around when I'm on the TTC? It doesn't make sense to me.

You make a good point about the being smooshed by the streetcar. I do have a business card with me that has my name and phone; and my phone is traceable, so that should be good enough.

And it's not like I'm borderline in terms of age: I really do have a 27 year-old daughter. There is no bylaw of which I am aware that states that you have to show a driver's license in order to be able to get into an establishment that serves drinks.

I could have actually (in a horrible horrible alternative life path) been that guy's mother! :)

PS. I also see absolutely nothing wrong with a national ID card, which many people find offensive. If this country becomes the type of country where you are required to have official identification on you at all times, fine, let's have one of those - I'm fine with it. But it's not like that here yet is it?

7. JoshuaReid

JoshuaReid TRIBE Member

Totally fair answer and respected. Isn't it law though that all persons who are on the grounds of a licensed establishment must be able to prove age through some means of valid identification? I should state that I was in New Brunswick when working in the bar, so I am completely unaware of Ontario's laws (if they are different)?

8. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    I don't know for sure, but found this on the SmartServe Ontario site:
    Check the identification of people you suspect are under 19 years of age. It is recommended that ID be checked for anyone who looks under the age of 25 years.

And trust me: I haven't looked 25 for YEARS :p

And this is what I found on the government's site for the Liquor License Act:
    Rules, persons under 19

30. (1) No person shall knowingly sell or supply liquor to a person under nineteen years of age. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (1).

Idem

(2) No person shall sell or supply liquor to a person who appears to be under nineteen years of age. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (2).

Permitting possession or consumption

(3) No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee shall knowingly permit a person under nineteen years of age to have or consume liquor in the licensee’s licensed premises. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (3).

Idem

(4) No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee shall permit a person who appears to be under nineteen years of age to have or consume liquor in the licensee’s licensed premises. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (4).

9. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

I also think its dumb that a person OBVIOUSLY over the legal drinking age still needs to have ID to buy a drink. Hogwash

CSB was so much fun!!! Chiclet and I threw down a great set :) thx for stopping by!!

10. JoshuaReid

JoshuaReid TRIBE Member

I am one who will definitely admit when I'm in the wrong and this appears that I am most certainly in the wrong. The act has no statement at all saying that you have to SHOW id, just more or less you can't knowingly permit them inside. So in your case, you were totally justified. I have a feeling maybe I just had an asshole boss who made shit up? Anyways, I'm sorry for interrupting the review and am happy to have it cleared up. :D

11. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

Erika,

your a moron for not carrying ID, sorry.

don't hate the player, hate the game. and "the game" in this province/country dictates that bars are required for their patrons to provide proof that they are of drinking age. trying to push past a bouncer and just walk in like you own the place? sorry grandma, the buddy is doing his job, and his job is to ensure that everyone who enters has shown proof of his age, despite you apparently having a 27 year old daughter. Your physical appearance and apparent age won't matter sweet fuck all if some by-the-books bylaw officer decided to enter and start carding people inside, what would his defence be ? "oh but she looks old" won't work. You can hate the system of age enforcement in the provice but your opinions can be directed to your member of Parliament, not to some poor shlub working the door at the Opera House. If you can carry a metropass in your pocket, surely you can put a photo health card or driver's license in there too. What a massive imposition to you, to put a card in your pocket, oh my. It's just how it works, it's nothing new. Either bring ID or stay home.

ANYWAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS

I thought Flylo was fucking awesome. I love his album, and loved the way he was mixing throughout his set. Dropped a few dope remixes of a bunch of random tunes (Nas' Nas Is Like, L'il Wayne's I Feel Like Dying, Radiohead's Idioteque, etc) along with lots of sweet bits of Cosmogramma. The vibe was solid during his set, crowd was loving it (at least down in front where my girl and I were). Only downside was he only played for an hour.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  12. 2blu_

2blu_ TRIBE Member

LOL!

dont worry, erika. sian is angry because no one is agreeing with him.
    .. the music is fit for elevators and waiting rooms not 500+ ppl venues.

13. 2blu_

2blu_ TRIBE Member

.. totally fell asleep to that

14. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

Andrew, you are being a crackmonkey, you were not there, so you don't know. The place was live, he was mixing tons of tracks quickfast and he was playing a heavier selection than many of the more downtempo tracks of his. It was a solid performance. Not everyone wants to listen to gay ass electro like Fake Blood, some people like their beats with some originality and depth.

15. 2blu_

2blu_ TRIBE Member

I'll stick to intense, in your face bass anytime!
    Clearly, Mike loves festivals of sausage.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  16. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

People who don't carry ID are dunces. Sadly I have one or two friends in this category.

Can't believe it even has to be debated here.

Like, get with it.

17. erika

erika TRIBE Member

For sianspherica and jungleboy, as you appear to be misinformed and have not read this part of the thred (and no, I'm not a grandma - yet; and no, I didn't push past anybody - it was just the two of us)
    From the SmartServe Ontario site:
    Check the identification of people you suspect are under 19 years of age. It is recommended that ID be checked for anyone who looks under the age of 25 years.

And from the Liquor License Act:
    Rules, persons under 19

30. (1) No person shall knowingly sell or supply liquor to a person under nineteen years of age. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (1).

Idem

(2) No person shall sell or supply liquor to a person who appears to be under nineteen years of age. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (2).

Permitting possession or consumption

(3) No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee shall knowingly permit a person under nineteen years of age to have or consume liquor in the licensee’s licensed premises. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (3).

Idem

(4) No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee shall permit a person who appears to be under nineteen years of age to have or consume liquor in the licensee’s licensed premises. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (4).

18. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Absolutely.

I mean, there are more reasons to carry ID on you than just getting into a club, most notably:

- hit by a car (or otherwise incapacitated) and unable to communicate
    - stopped by police (they can hold you until they can ascertain your identity)
    - buying booze for underage kids for a reasonable fee

Good issue to to research and paste paragraphs of bylaws over, though!

19. hahnsa

hahnsa TRIBE Member

Erika LOL you're so hilarious. And fabulous. Sianspheric, not so much.

20. bhikku

bhikku TRIBE Member

I went to this show with a group of friends and we all agreed it was sub par. The same group of friends and I went to his set at Tattoo Rock Parlour last year and it was fantastic, far more diverse playlist, extreme changes in BPM and more left-field selections mixed and performed flawlessly.
    I'm coming from a place of really appreciating strange, sometimes slow, often akward music, I disagree that its suited for elevators and waiting rooms and couldn't possibly be more bored by the majority of music that can be heard on any given night in this city. But it needs to be presented as more of journey and a performance, which this was not.
    Also, I noticed at this event as well as the other that mymanhenry seems more interested in texting on his phone then on his set.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  21. krosum

krosum TRIBE Member

22. ksp

ksp TRIBE Promoter

Hey Erika...

I agree with you 100 percent.

come on peoples....give i stopped carrying id myself....dont want to risk losing, alcohol, plus dancing equals possible stuff lost...besides, I dont look 25 anymore...i look 35.....

and Erika, she aint a spring chicken....(no disrespect whatsoever) its not like homebirl was a 16 year old covered in make up tryin gto get in with a fake money mart ID......relax peoples...

23. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

For various reasons mentioned above everyone should have a piece of ID on them at all times.

Again, I can't believe there are people who argue the opposite position but....I guess it's not a huge surprise upon reflection.

24. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

The purpose of identification is to....identify yourself. Not to sit in an old cigar box in your living room. Really helps no one there.

25. dj.nick.c

dj.nick.c TRIBE Member

Flying Lotus played one of the most intricate and technical sets I have ever heard. Before last friday, I wasn't familiar with his sets but now I am totally converted. I had already been listening to similar artist like: Bullion, Hudson Mohawke, Ultragamma, Nosaj Thing, but he stands apart as a true musician and producing genius.

The show was rammed for a reason, the music is fucking hot and will be blowing shit up in no time in this lagging country of ours.

Big up mymanhenri and ultragamma!