1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Flying for the first time

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Fillmore, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

At the ripe old age of 31 I have finally decided to get my ass on an airplane and take my first real vacation that's not Florida.
    We are flying to Cabo San Lucas for a week in May. We have to change plans in Chicago to get a connecting flight down to Cabo.
    Considering I have never been on a plane and our travel agent likes to take her time getting back to us I figured I would ask the tribe masses a few questions.

One carry on bag?
    When I transfer planes at chicago, do I need to go and grab my luggage and bring it to the next plane or is that taken care of for us?
    How early should I get to the airport? First flight is 637am or somewhere around there.

Any tips or advice outside of these questions would also be great!

We're flying United Airlines

2. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

Only 1 to the US. Domestic 2.

It will be transfered automatically if the flights are not too far apart. Ask.

45min to 1 hour. It's fairly early to the airport won't be too busy.

3. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

Beauty, Thanks Deus!

4. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

ZOOOM.

[jai]

5. ila

ila TRIBE Member

no way, dude.

you never know what flights are going to be leaving when. the lineup to check-in might be huge and check-in usually closes 30 minutes before a flight. If you check-in less than 30 minutes before the flight takes off, you can get bumped off the flight as well (unless you have confirmed seating).

since you're going to the states first you're going to have to go through customs before you get on the plane. another potentially 30 minute lineup (or more). there's also security which, depending on what's going on, can take flipping forever to get through.

don't leave yourself less than 2 hours. when flying to the states, I always give myself 3 hours.

pro-tip - reserve your seats online the night before you fly so you and your partner don't get stuck at opposite ends of the plane.

6. ila

ila TRIBE Member

also, last I checked you were only allowed to bring one relatively small personal item on board a flight to the states. so if you have a purse, that's it. a lap top? that's it.

has this changed? find out the restrictions on your airline's website.

7. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Yeah, 2 to 3 hours for sure. Especially considering it's your first time and you should leave time to wander around as I find being in an airport terminal is kinda fun.

If you want extra-special service at the security checkpoint wear this tshirt:

[​IMG]

8. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

hahah wiseman thats good! We have to talk to bro, I have a proposition for you.

Anyhow thanks guys. This is all good information. We have already reserved our seats so thats taken care of and the one personal item sounds familiar.

I cant wait for take off but I am a little nervous because I am not sure what to expect once we're in the air!

9. glych t.anomaly

BOREDOM,

get drunk on the plane, its worth it.

hopefully they will either show you a in flight movie that isnt balls.

if you have a laptop and in flight wifi you can post about it and let us know :D

regardless, drinking is fun, and hopefully you will have access to a window seat so you can watch the tops of clouds.

[jai]

10. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

My advice is to watch the movies/shows, even if they suck (Although I think nowadays you can get a decent selection). Makes the time go by way faster.

11. ila

ila TRIBE Member

Just buy a dickload of magazines at the airport and read them all on the plane, then trash them when you get off.

Also - airport candy. Buy lots for the plane after the security check.

Oh! And don't forget to bring a bottle of water on (you'll have to buy that once you get through security too) the plane. Flying dehydrates you.

12. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

bring some gum to chew on for when your ears pop

enjoy the clouds from above! it's kind of a cool site.

13. ila

ila TRIBE Member

One more thing - BRING TWO PENS. You have to fill out all these temporary visitor visa sheet things. The first one will be in the airport to get through American customs. The second will be on the plane to Mexico. You have to present these forms at customs.

Everyone is always like, "shit, I need a pen" when that happens.

14. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Sure drop me a line. Although you should know I'm already taken.

It's all hot/flirty stewardesses in short skirts offering to fluff your pillows and pilots taking a break to enjoy a glass of scotch on the rocks.

15. Mephisto

Mephisto TRIBE Member

Good tips so far.

For going through security- I usually take me belt, watch, etc off, and empty my pockets into my carry so I can go through the metal detector without setting anything off. Do this before you get to the security checkpoint. when you're at the front of the line, grab one plastic bin. Take your laptop out, put it into the bin, put your shoes on top, put your liquids(which are in a ziplock bag) into the bin and put the bin on the conveyor followed by your carry on. Have your boarding pass and passport in hand. Once you're through security go down the escalator then find some screens to see what gate your flight departs from. Follow the herds and you'll be fine.

I can never stay awake on flights(go figure) so I usually go shoes off, eye mask on, ear plugs in and neck pillow pillowing to really seal the deal. Make sure any liquids in your carry-ons meet the specs. One thing I like to do is carry a toothbrush for a pre-landing freshen up about half an hour before arrival. After landing, don't be a sucker like everyone else who stands up as soon as the plane parks, it'll be another 5 mins before people in the aisle start moving.

16. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

This is far better and more entertaining than what the travel agent is saying. Thank you everyone.

Jai- That cat pick is priceless and yeah, I think a few drinks will be order to relax the nerves.

17. glych t.anomaly

im mesmerized by it !!!!

[jai]

18. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

what about your lucky charms?

[​IMG]

19. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

You will clear US customs in Toronto, which means you will check your bag through to your final destination in Toronto.

Since January 1, any flight entering the US requires supplementary screening after customs and security. They do a complete body and bag search.

1 carry on is permitted, along with 1 purse/laptop bag. Note the laptop bag can only have one zipper to be permitted as a carry on.

Arriving 3 hours before is insane. You will be safe with 90 minutes. They shut off check-in for all US flights 60 minutes before the flight departs (30 minutes for domestic flights).

20. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

They set off those metal detectors at will. They do it so they can do closer inspections of passengers. I never take anything wear a belt or carry anything metal with me yet I always seem to set off those damned detectors. That being said you can still get on planes with lighters and such. My last 2 flights I had lighters with me and just put them in the trays.

I'm not looking forward to those new full body scanners as I'm sure I'll be getting scanned every time. I hate flying.

21. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

O'hare is crazy busy so be prepared for the masses when you land. As mentioned above, find out exactly where your bags will be and what terminal you'll be transferring to. Sometimes they announce it before you land.

If you're going in May, you should be wearing comfortable clothes. It sucks lugging about a heavy jacket when you could just throw it in your suitcase, especially if you're going somewhere warm.

I believe you'll need to go through customs twice, one for US and one for Mexico.

22. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

i would get there two hours before your flight because you are flying out early. if you were going mid-day i would suggest three.

my dad flew to ATL on Monday. he got picked for a special search which took over an hour. made him start up his laptop, use his bb, and he got a full body scan amongst a whole lot of bs. took over an hour.

i dont think they set off the detectors at will - i've never set them off.

also, lighters will get taken away from you flying through the states. i was able to keep mine, plus liquids on the way to costa, but on the way home i had to toss them all do the americans.

23. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

It's the metal plate in your head you keep forgetting...

24. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

You guys are crazy, 2 hours before a flight??

I have perfected the art of arrival and checking in. I check in about 45 minutes before the flight is scheduled to leave. If I am one of the last ones to check in my baggage is usually among the last ones to be put on the plane. In turn, it is one of the first ones to be taken off and put on the baggage carrousel. Flights rarely leave right on the scheduled time so the baggage has ample time to make it on the plane. My luggage was only lost once when I check in 30min before departure.

25. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

Incorrect. One standard lighter is permitted in carry-on baggage.