• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Flow Bindings

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I've heard good things about them. However I demo-ed a pair last season and I didn't much like the feel for them.

If you can, demo a pair to make sure they're what you are looking for before you buy them. That way you won't be left dissapointed in the end!

pb4ugo2bed

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
i just got a brand new pair, never been used, that i don't need. wanna buy em? do ya? do ya?
Hmmmm....haha.....for some reason "buyer beware" keeps flashing in my mind! *L*

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pb4ugo2bed
Hmmmm....haha.....for some reason "buyer beware" keeps flashing in my mind! *L*
arrrrrgh. noooo!

for real. my friend just sold me a brand new board that her ex got for her and that she just doesn't feel right keeping. she just wanted it OUT of her house. and she threw in the bindings just cuz she had no use for them.

seriously.

so now i have two sets of brand new bindings. and only one pair of feet. it's really quite the dilemma.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

pb4ugo2bed

TRIBE Member
arrrrrgh. noooo!

for real. my friend just sold me a brand new board that her ex got for her and that she just doesn't feel right keeping. she just wanted it OUT of her house. and she threw in the bindings just cuz she had no use for them.

seriously.

so now i have two sets of brand new bindings. and only one pair of feet. it's really quite the dilemma.
Name your price grasshopper....

squirrely

TRIBE Member
shoot me a PM. i am sure there is probably stuff you wanna know about them that i am far too tired to think about right now. but seriously...mint condition, gotta get em off my hands.

--robin

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
if you're getting them for a killer price, grab em.

i don't really know anyone who's been snowboarding for a long time, that's converted to flows and now swears by them.

most people i know starting out have bought flows, and think they are a more simplistic, intuitive binding. then after a couple years start to look more closely at ratchets, and figure maybe there's more to a binding than being able to strap in a little faster.

it's all personal preference in the end, flows have always just seemed to me to be a little less of a "performance" binding - a lot more flex, hard to avoid heel lift, pain in the ass to adjust... and just a different feel altogether.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by feisty boy
if you're getting them for a killer price, grab em.

i don't really know anyone who's been snowboarding for a long time, that's converted to flows and now swears by them.

most people i know starting out have bought flows, and think they are a more simplistic, intuitive binding. then after a couple years start to look more closely at ratchets, and figure maybe there's more to a binding than being able to strap in a little faster.

it's all personal preference in the end, flows have always just seemed to me to be a little less of a "performance" binding - a lot more flex, hard to avoid heel lift, pain in the ass to adjust... and just a different feel altogether.
For free-riding they're just as good as my old ratchet if not better.
The pressure points it creates are a lot easier on the feet after a long day of boarding IMO.

And response is no different than my ratchet system I had before.

I think if I was going really hard and riding pipe all day I'd think differently, but for general free-riding down any hill they work great. And I wouldn't go back to Ratchet for any reason.

And they are not hard to adjust at all.
You open up the ratchet style clips, push them down fully on your boot.
Take out your boot, clip them down with fingers one more notch and they're very secure. Takes me a whole minute and I'm set for the day ;)

pr0nstar :D

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
A buddy of mine just switched to flows and he swears by them... Kenny gave a better explanation than me though.

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
I've been riding for about 8 years.

I bought flows this past off season.

<3 My Flows...

pr0nstar
fair enough. i can't judge because i haven't ridden flows. my ratchet allegiance just goes too far back and the supposed benefits of flows haven't been tempting enough to make me switch.
and they seem to me to be more of an ontario thing - where people are strapping in 60 times a day as opposed to 10 out west, where i didn't see many flows.

but hey, it all comes down to personal comfort and preference in the end.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
A question to all the experienced boarders.

I want to get into it. I have been twice a while ago and will be basically starting from scratch. I will hopefully get to the mountain a couple times this year, rent equipment, and just get a feel for it. In the spring and summer I want to gearing up full force, hopefully taking advantage of off-season pricing. I have nothing in terms of gear. I will need boots, bindings, a board, proper clothing, even eyewear.

What advice would you give to someone who needs to learn the basics and get the necessary equipment? Where and when should I shop? How much will I be looking at spending? If you can break it down that would be appreciated.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Casper

TRIBE Member
try them first for sure, i never have but my roommate who just bought a new/top of the line set up this season chose Flows, and he's better than me. i still swear by rachets though, picked up last years P1 MD's used for a sweet price, and i can honestly say that my feet did not know comfort till i stepped into these babies,
peace

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
What advice would you give to someone who needs to learn the basics...
as someone who is still very much a beginner, and probably always will be, i can tell you that comfy boots are sooooooooooooo important. i went for a higher end boot on advice from a bunch of experienced riders, and chose to get a cheaper binding. my reasoning was that as i get better (if i get better) i can upgrade to suit my skills and my riding style.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
A question to all the experienced boarders.

I want to get into it. I have been twice a while ago and will be basically starting from scratch. I will hopefully get to the mountain a couple times this year, rent equipment, and just get a feel for it. In the spring and summer I want to gearing up full force, hopefully taking advantage of off-season pricing. I have nothing in terms of gear. I will need boots, bindings, a board, proper clothing, even eyewear.

What advice would you give to someone who needs to learn the basics and get the necessary equipment? Where and when should I shop? How much will I be looking at spending? If you can break it down that would be appreciated.
I'd say think about spending at least $1-1500 if you love it.
Because no point in buying shit equipment if you're actually going to do it a lot.

Rough prices...

Boots ~$1-200
Board ~$4-600
Bindings ~$200
Gloves ~$75
Jacket ~$2-400+
Pants ~$150-250
Goggles ~$50-200
Hat/Neck Warmer/Etc ~$50

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by that 420 guy
all prepared to get my flow bindings today at hogtown, i brought one of my boots with me to see how well they feel in em before i dropped the cash on $300 bindingz. i'm rockin a pair of '95 airwalk advantage boots...no liner and a very narrow boot, good for my size 12 clunkers.

i've been soo stoked about flows for such a long time, but when i actually stuck my foot in em i didn't like how they fit my boot. i had too much space to move around in em...couldn't just crank em like strap bindings:( any movement of my foot in my bindings is not a good thing, so i tried a new pair of boots (burton moto) with em and still wasn't pleased.

so i ended up buying a pair of the ride spi aluminums.

being able to just tighten up my binding until i have no circulation left in my foot (not like i'd actually do that but knowin i could) makes for better response from my board. that's something wasn't wiling to give up with the flows. i'm pretty stoked about my purchase..and i grabbed the boots too.

my ride spi bindings are dreamy. the ratchet system is quick and easy to get in and out of em, and they are beyond comfortable. i am very pleased with my strap bindings and am pleasantly reminded why they are the standard and still best way to get the most out of your snowboarding experience.

whatever you feel comfortable in is what i'd reccommend...i've got friends who swear by their flows. for me, my straps will do me just fine. if you know of anyone who has flows, ask them to let you try em out. then decide how they feel on your feet.

- that 0-15 guy :cool:

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Thanks Ken, that's what I figured pricewise. It's a fair chunk of change and that's why I want to spend all of next off-season comparing prices, getting advice, and trying stuff out.

Do you know of a good time/place/store/exhibition to buy?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
And I'd like to add, when I bought my flows I picked up the Flow boots and I'm very happy with them.

A lot smaller than a lot of other boots, but seem to keep me very warm. And fit the bindings perfect ;)

pr0nstar

feisty boy

TRIBE Member

you should start shopping now if you have the money! there's good board sales and outerwear sales all over, since technically it's really late season as far as purchasing goes - things do get even cheaper in the spring, but the selection is also less - so it might be harder to find clothes and boots in your size - then even if you're saving a few bucks you might end up compromising more important things - like style! :p plus, every time you rent, it's just money down the drain.

as far as cost - it can be done for a little over $1000. you can get a decent entry level deck for $300 or even a little less, boots for a couple hundred, bindings for a couple hundred.
if you're going to skimp, skimp on the board, not the bindings or boots. you will keep your bindings and boots when you upgrade your board, and cheapish entry level boards are more flexible and easier to learn on.
as far as jackets, get a shell and not a parka - and MAKE SURE it has underarm vents and a powder skirt. you'll thank me later. some cheaper brandnames have good features and alright durability and water-reisistance.
pants can be fairly cheap too - i like ones with some insulation so i don't have to layer my legs too much - keep it free and flexible.

i had a pair of $30 uvex goggles that got me through my busiest season last year. no fogging, but the lenses left a little to be desired. i upgraded this year... in goggles look for good venting, and a good fit - some pinch your nose, some wreck your peripheral vision.

alright, hope that helps. i have too much time on my hands today!

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Thanks Ken, that's what I figured pricewise. It's a fair chunk of change and that's why I want to spend all of next off-season comparing prices, getting advice, and trying stuff out.

Do you know of a good time/place/store/exhibition to buy?
Anywhere off season is great IMO.

Sports Check is great for getting gear off season, especially jackets, gloves, etc... because they want it out of there for their summer lines.

As for boards/bindings/boots... there's always the Ski/Snowboard show every year.

I got my board @ Hustler in Oakville, they've always been good to me, but I knew the guys as I lived above the store for a good 2 years...

But just wheel and deal, try to get a package when you buy your board and bindings at least, and try for boots maybe too.

Jackets, etc can be bought anywhere you prefer. And the price range can go from a couple hundred to over five easily.

I paid ~$250 for pants/jacket.. but regular price was about ~$500.. go off season sales.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
And to give you an idea.

I paid $199 for my Flow FL-19 bindings at the show and $199 for the boots... board I've had since '97 and it still is in great condition.. paid $700 for it with bindings back in the day. But it's lasted me all this time...

<3 My Jamie Lynn Lib Tech

Last edited:

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
as someone who is still very much a beginner, and probably always will be, i can tell you that comfy boots are sooooooooooooo important. i went for a higher end boot on advice from a bunch of experienced riders, and chose to get a cheaper binding. my reasoning was that as i get better (if i get better) i can upgrade to suit my skills and my riding style.
^^^the best advice

you can have the best board, the best bindings, the best clothing...but if your feet are not comfortable none of your other gear matters (right vinder?).

spare no expense on your boots. your feet aren't going to grow anymore so make the investment now and not worry about buying boots again for a long long time.

hey d, if you need someone to help you shop for gear you know where to find me. i love shoppin for new gear, even if its not for me ;)

- that strap-in guy :cool: