• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Flow 93.5 Five Year Anniversary

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
The booze was flowing last night at the ROM, but the music wasn't. For real, five years later and you can't do any better on the performances tip than Maestro and Jacksoul?

Personally, I would've loved to see them put on a showcase for some up and coming artists and even a few established local artists. Where were Kardi, Choclair, Keisha Chante, K-OS, Ghetto Concept, etc etc etc? Artists that FLOW opened the door for and helped to establish? Even though I don't like them, how about Shawn Desman or fucking Massari showing some support?

With 102.1 quickly encroaching into FLOW's territory, adding K-OS, Outkast, Eminem, and Gnarls Barkley to their rotation, I figured that FLOW would try to step it up a little. Instead, they chose to go with performers that are so tired that Maestro (who relied on "Let Your Backbone Slide" and a couple of other obvious mainstays) couldn't even get the crowd into it. Jacksoul was worse.

I think that FLOW had a really good opportunity to show the industry how far they'd come and their vision of the future of the Canadian urban music scene, and they really dropped the ball here.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
lol!

It's not that I was wishing for him to perform (and in fact would probably have hucked my glass at his face), it's just that it's baffling that they couldn't have booked someone better than Jackoff.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

patio-d

TRIBE Member
I've always been a Flow hater. I've lumped them in with BET as a devilish media outlet that pushes playlisted garbage to the under-developed. Starting from Scratch obviously has super deep crates but it seemed to me like everyone has to toe the company line and play the shit they are supposed to.
I was really surprised the other night to hear 'Real Frequency' on a Monday night on Flow. I didn't know they left Saturday afternoons on CKLN.... Who has filled in that historic slot?
Thing is, I'm suspicious of Flow taking on an underground college-type show unless they are doing it for financial game. But maybe that means that FINALLY ignornat-thug-nonsense-rap and sacchrine-no-soul-RnB is getting played out to the masses. I hope.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
You have to remember, though, that FLOW is the only dedicated urban station in all of Canada. And it's not quite as playlisted as the Edge and certainly not as repetitive as Z103. Tune in on a Sunday or late at night and you'll hear gospel, soca, and reggae (not Sean Paul but actual roots and lover's rock). They actually do (and always have done) a lot to expose independent hip-hop artists at all hours of the day.

I wouldn't have bothered typing out my initial post if it were a Z103 party...I wouldn't waste my time creating a whole thread about how far Edgefest has fallen, because it's expected that they would go with the mainstream for their events. However, it's because FLOW has such a diverse playlist that I was really disappointed in the event.

patio-d

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
You have to remember, though, that FLOW is the only dedicated urban station in all of Canada. And it's not quite as playlisted as the Edge and certainly not as repetitive as Z103. Tune in on a Sunday or late at night and you'll hear gospel, soca, and reggae (not Sean Paul but actual roots and lover's rock). They actually do (and always have done) a lot to expose independent hip-hop artists at all hours of the day.

I wouldn't have bothered typing out my initial post if it were a Z103 party...I wouldn't waste my time creating a whole thread about how far Edgefest has fallen, because it's expected that they would go with the mainstream for their events. However, it's because FLOW has such a diverse playlist that I was really disappointed in the event.

From my listening experience (which admittedly has been spotty for the last year and a half) I have to disagree with you about the exposing of independent artists. The indy scene is always bubbling with new rappers and oldtimer rappers who are now off the majors and on smaller labels. But I've always found that Flow has had blinkers when it comes to what gets into their rotation. If you mean they are good at exposing new indy clubby-sounding rappers, then maybe, but I wouldn't say they are anywhere close to being there when the underground is exploding over some new rapper. (Did you ever hear MADVILLAIN on FLow when it was getting mashed on all college radio shows around the city?) Also, hip-hop is not like house music or pop music for that matter, where a hit is a hit and then it often fades away.. unless it is a mega-smash. The best hip-hop djs in the world know how to mix records from all eras, because the old hits in hip-hop music are building blocks in the culture. I've felt that Flow's focus on NEW NEW NEW, meant that so much garbage got huge amounts of play, while so much history was getting ignored. Just once I would have liked to have tuned into Flow and heard a BDP record. Or a Freestyle Fellowship record. Or whatever.

This is why I did a double-take when I was turning the dial and heard a Slum Village track on Flow. I was thinking immediately 'This isn't Flow music... it CIUT music. Or CKLN music. Or CHRY music (on a cloudless day when you're north of eglinton.) But then I found out it was the Real Frequency show so it kinda made sense.

And I kinda think the career-breaking that you are mentioning for Kardi, and Choclair and Ghetto Concept is a bit over-stated too, because those guys had all made big records at least 6 years before Flow even entered the airwaves. No doubt Flow helped expose them to bigger markets, but remember that Flow had CRTC regs to live up to, so what other 'Urban' (I hate that term by the way) Canadian artists are you going to put on the air besides these guys who are already at the top of the game. (Although, more recently I agree Flow has been instrumental with new acts like Brassmunk, etc.)

I don't know... I just remember being really excited when they launched and feeling nothing but disappointment with Flow.

And if they will play Messari even ONCE, out of principal I can't ever tune in again.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
patio-d said:
I was really surprised the other night to hear 'Real Frequency' on a Monday night on Flow. I didn't know they left Saturday afternoons on CKLN.... Who has filled in that historic slot?

The mixtape massacre...same timeslot, same dope beats...miss the "FRESH! for 88" and "KEEEEP OOOOONNN ROCKING YOU!" but this show keeps the tradition of phatness you've come to associate with Saturday afternoons on CKLN