• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Flaherty resigns from Federal Cabinet

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Is a turn as Ontario's Court of Appeal Chief Justice in the offing?

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is resigning from the federal cabinet and will be returning to the private sector.

In a statement released Tuesday by his office, Mr. Flaherty said it is a decision that he made with his family earlier this year. Mr. Flaherty said his goal was always to get Canada back on track toward a balanced budget, a goal he said was achieved with last month’s budget.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I dunno seemed a steady hand at the till in a sea of inept, sometimes crazy fellow ministers.

Have the inmates taken over the asylum??

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
The real reason is obviously that he'll make a shit tonne of bricks more money in the private sector.

"Oh, I'm sorry, my best buddy is now the head of the Bank of England? Oh, well, I'm sure he can't POSSIBLY be handsomely compensated there..."

-jM
A&D

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Jeff, he's been in public sector Cabinets for 20 years. His pension is ridiculous.

James, IMHO a disagreement on Income Splitting is not something that would bring JF to step away.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
His pension is only related to his last paycheque, in a way.

He's not making brazillions of dollars right now, though I'm sure he's well off. He will make brazillions of dollars in the private sector and only need to do it for a couple of years before he just retires and collects that wicked pension.

-jM
A&D

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
I read somewhere* that a close family friend and someone who he has publicly aligned with is about to be arrested on a whole slew of charges. To prevent any association to the conservative party, he was asked to resign.

*the rob ford thread

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Not a chance blowback from Ford would cause the CPC to ask Flaherty to resign.

Income splitting? Doubtful.

Most likely Flaherty, having functionally balanced the budget, had made his point as MoF and decided to step down.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I read somewhere* that a close family friend and someone who he has publicly aligned with is about to be arrested on a whole slew of charges. To prevent any association to the conservative party, he was asked to resign.

*the rob ford thread

I wonder who could have come up with THAT theory.

*goeschecksthethread*

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
Interesting time for him to leave considering his role in changing the mortgage landscape over the last 7 years. He opened the floodgates to easy lending, echoing that what happened in the US, and then has closed the lid repeatedly (and rightfully so), backtracking on his knee-jerk reaction.

However he has given up control over mortgage rule changes anyways so his stepping down isn't a signal that more changes are or aren't coming.

Jeff, he's been in public sector Cabinets for 20 years. His pension is ridiculous.

James, IMHO a disagreement on Income Splitting is not something that would bring JF to step away.
I wasn't really sure to believe it or not, "principals" aren't exactly the first thing you think of when it comes to Jim Flaherty. I do think that there was a widening rift between him and other ministers, peaking with him cussing out Jason Kenny so publicly.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
good riddance. dude was a toad. i'll never forgive him for selling out Ontario just to balance the budget before an election. i wouldn't be surprised if he's done the same at the federal level.

maphi

TRIBE Member

*the rob ford thread
That was my first reaction when hearing the news. Only time will tell!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Not a chance blowback from Ford would cause the CPC to ask Flaherty to resign.

Income splitting? Doubtful.

Most likely Flaherty, having functionally balanced the budget, had made his point as MoF and decided to step down.
Isn't he dying of cancer or some other fatal illness? Maybe that is why he is stepping down. He hasn't looked very healthy for the last couple of years...

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Bullous Pemphigoid. Skin condition.
He said the decision was reached after many months of consultation with his family and that his health was not a factor in his decision.