• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

First episode of TNG for new viewer

wickedken

TRIBE Member
So I get the privilege of introducing someone to TNG. Only other ST experience is the original series. Thoughts on a good intro episode besides Farpoint?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Datalore or Q Who
Datalore is only good once you've had a good idea on Data's whole thing. Granted, it's halfway through season 1, so your friend might as well start from ep1 anyways.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend on this show, because she still doesn't understand why I call her Number 1. I've tried everything.

I've posted this in the youtube thread but since this is fresh.... enjoy

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i'd say THE INNER LIGHT or DARMOK. other great episodes, like the ones involving the borg, q, the klingon civil war, lore, yesterday's enterprise, data on the holodeck, etc. are best enjoyed if you already know the characters.

THE INNER LIGHT and DARMOK are two of the best episodes that could be enjoyed by newcomers.

it depends a bit on the person being introduced. if you think you need to convince him/her to watch the rest of the series by starting out strong, then pick one of the best episodes. if he/she is the type that would continue watching after a few slower episodes (like a lot of season 1), then start at the beginning. when i introduced my wife to TNG, we started at the beginning of season 2.

btw, remastered blu-ray versions are available. you can get the entire series in 600GB. :)

silver1

TRIBE Member
... Q Who
This one for sure!

I don't feel you need a ton of backstory on all of the new characters as this episode is more "whole crew situational" in introducing the Borg to the ST universe.

And this episode has "WOW factor" all over it.

Last edited:

wickedken

TRIBE Member
lol! i haven't seen that one hilarious!

Thanks for the input. I've whittled it down to, for reasons of being self contained:

Devil's Due
First Contact
Inner Light

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
As a result of this thread, I went through Shomi last night and found every episode from every season of this show.

Just started Season 1 Episode 1 last night. Man does the cast ever look young. I forgot just how long ago this show aired.

silver1

TRIBE Member
I also started re-watching some episodes on Crave TV. I stand by my nomination of "Q Who".

Excellent episode that throws the whole universe on its ear, with little need for back story of the characters.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I also started re-watching some episodes on Crave TV. I stand by my nomination of "Q Who".

Excellent episode that throws the whole universe on its ear, with little need for back story of the characters.
One of the best aspects I thought of this episode was the very real sense that the crew had finally gotten in over their heads. Showing my Trekkies sense not since tholian web had earthlings been in mortal danger. It's a mean world and we've been in a good neighbourhood I think q had said.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I've been thinking about that episode. You know the Q has an agenda since they can see the future, they gave the Federation a head start to prepare.

As the story went, the Borg would finally invade earth 3 years later, and they'd be trampled. Was there an alternate purpose from Q for manipulating the timeline maybe the federation has something to do with the Q.

Same shit goes for the time he offered Janeway a free ticket home, in exchange to prevent the incarcerated Q from committing suicide. Ultimately she declined, then went on to develop Borg busting technology in the future.

Once she delivered all that bullshit to the current federation timeline gave them a 30 year advantage in technology while crippling the Borg.

If they were sent home by the Q, that wouldn't have happened.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
The final Episode of STTNG had the Q giving the Humans a real lesson in time manipulation starting on Earth.

I don't think the Q was able to just erase the borg without erasing themselves.

Sort of a huge fuckup like how Marty and the DOC had to repair the timeline. Which the Q got themselves into.

Q = Humans.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders